Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
drums to disc Fri, 25 July 2003 07:01 Go to next message
hey guys,
I have drums on my car and wanting to change them to disc for better stopping as my drums don't hold that well. Does anyone know where I can get these done in Sydney and also how much it would cost. Most workshops have barred me and said they don't want to do this. PLease can someone shed some light on this.
CHeers
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: drums to disc Fri, 25 July 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car type? It helps.
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: drums to disc Sun, 27 July 2003 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ae86
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: drums to disc Sun, 27 July 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you upgraded your front brakes? Swapping the rear drums for discs will have very little effect on stopping ability.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: drums to disc Sun, 27 July 2003 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suggest you ditch the S series rear that you have now and upgrade
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Umm S series rear I am not sure what your on about could you make things a bit more clearer. I heard I have to change the whole rear axle or something like that? I am not sure but could someone help me out.
Thanks
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the whole rear end.. drum to drum with diff center... take it out and throw it away (sell it)

its useless

you want to start off with a larger (slightly anyway) T series... or better yet a F or G series rear end.

then... worry about a disk conversion to a drum rear then
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh alright whats the difference in sizes like is it better in strenght? Where could I get a rear axle from with disc on it that will suit the sprinter either brand new or second hand. I have been to a few places like wreckers and they say they can't import any from the jap specs.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cant get anything that bolts straight in that has disk EXCEPT a JDM T series ae86 diff with disk brake rear

and good luck finding one!

so you next best bet is to modify something else.

ther are all stronger then the S series.
i2obert
Regular

July 2003

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thorght the ae86 came with rear disc the ae85 came with drums ???
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read one of the initial posts... rear discs will make fugger all difference
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the guy wants to know how to do it.. not if it makes a difference or not. Maybe he needs' rear disk for the car to be legal if he is seeking to get it engineered (in SA a 4age powered sprinter needs 4 wheel disks to pass)

or maybe he is looking at doing some track work and like me doesnt want to have a melt down in the drum dept. i know.. ive already done it and now one of the drums on the S diff has warped... dont as me how but it has
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

read one of the initial posts... rear discs will make fugger all difference

have you driven a AE86 with and without rear discs???

anyone that says they dont make any difference is either.....

not able to understand how to set up the brakes properly in the first place..

or plain stoopid!

rear discs on a sprinter make a HUGE difference...

ok as mentioned before your best option is to move to a better diff housing from the start.. a T series from a TA22/3 celica is a direct bolt up, you can then get just about any rear disc break setup from any car with a 114.5 PCD wheel and adapt it to fit with some minor fabrication of the mounting plates, Datsun is a good place to start looking. Goto a big wrecker like P&PL and start searching and testing setups and untill you find one you like then make the alterations to fit it to your car. Make sure you take into account the handbrake cables when you are looking at the setups.

dont forget that you may have to change the braking bias in the car as well, you will almost definately have to make a mounting bracket to hold the brake lines to pass engineering as well
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats great!

thats what im doing atm Smile

is a TA22/23 a 113.4 stud pattern?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are the same PCD as a sprinter or for that matter most 4 stud RWD Toyota's .... 114.5mm
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: drums to disc Mon, 28 July 2003 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you'll find the ae86 is 4X114.3

same as R30/R31/S13/RX7

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: drums to disc Tue, 29 July 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends where you measure it from, centre to centre is 114.5, if you look up any aftermarket wheel supplier thats what they will list the PCD as.
sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: drums to disc Tue, 29 July 2003 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can someone explain what the difference between t g f s serires are and what do they belong too? why is a t better then s and why are f and g better then t
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: drums to disc Tue, 29 July 2003 22:21 Go to previous message
Oh thanks guys thats heaps of help. Do you know how much it will cost all up and if it is easy to do? Because I will be geting someone else to do it and not myself. Also I will be geting some wheels soon with the offset in the rear new axle be the same or different. The reason why I want to get rear disc is because better braking power and also getting my car ready for an engine convertion.
Thanks for the info
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Traction brackets
Next Topic:sr20det into ae86?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 10:27:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058290958404541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.