Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Turbo for an 18RGU???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 08:13 Go to next message

Just after a bit of advice on turbo type to get for a 18RGU EFI.

I'm after 300HP at the wheels. And yes there is going to be a lot of work done to the motor to get that.

I know ball-bearing turbos are good but what type would be best.

I was think'n T-25, T-28 or T03/04 hybrid?
Any others???

Or what the hey, a T-88 or a Y2K will do!
LOL

Going to high-flow the turbo and put on a bar and plate intercooler to keep temps low.

Send a private message to this user    
raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure a T3 ball bearing will do the job. I just finished an 18R-GEU Efi rebuild(although that's what the E in the bloody name stands for and i keep seeing ppl talking about their 18R-GEU's with twin webbers DAMNIT!!!!) with nice <7.5:1 compression but it's gonna run like that for at least 6 months until i save up for the rest of the work....

I'm after the 300hp too moving to 350 eventually but it shouldn't be hard to get. there were racing 18R-G's with 600hp and they weren't drag cars, just circuit cars...

[Updated on: Sun, 07 July 2002 10:59]

willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the 'E' is the head design. It is possible to put carbies onto an EFI head if you really wanted. The 18r-geu heads had different valves and some other difference to the previous ones. I'm just going of the top of my head here but i'm sure someone will will correct me if i'm wrong.
raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, E is the head design, it's got the small cutouts for the injectors as opposed to the standard carby head. Also there's a cover doobie thing on one of the shorter sides of the head which is oval as opposed to "rounded rectangular" I found my first true 18R-GEU head by accident after buying a whole series 1 RA40 for $500... the guy didn't know what he was selling. but he got it for $200 so i guess he was happy. Anyways, i got me a genuine efi head so I'm happy. You can get the standard head modified by having someone machine cut the injector cutouts(I have 2 of those) but I wanted a genuine one so I'm happy... Although i do have 3 efi capable heads now...

Looking to buy all the efi gear minus head or a complete 18RG of any sort as long as the head isn't cracked so if anyne has one let me know.

Standard efi gear is what i'm particularly after(computer and wiring), for compliance purposes... engineers don't like aftermarket injection.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i owned a 18RGEU motor that had been converted back to solex carbies by the previous owners- idiots!
I would have loved the EFI they conveniently removed!
I well. such is life.
Can u convert the RU head to the EU style head, ie; put bigger valves in etc.. or would it cost more than buying a old EU head?

EDIT: raistlin; would u be interested in selling one of your EFI ready heads? Or am i better off doing my own "up".

[Updated on: Sun, 07 July 2002 12:05]

raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of them is in my engine atm, the original one is in the engine shop getting done up(couse I can't be bothered)

I gave them both spare heads to pick and choose all the best pieces... the other efi ready head has tiny cracks, 2 of them... but the engine shop checked it out and said it would have absolutely no probs running N/A... If you wanted to run 300+ HP through it with a blower you might have probs... also the cams for that head are a bit rusty(got it in that condition) but if you have another head(and set of cams you could prolly use them) Basically I was gonna use that head before a friend sold me his car and engine. Also needs to have the valve clearances done. basically it's in pieces. It's ported so that could prolly give you a few extra HP. I wouldn't mind swapping it for a non efi head if you have one... or something along those lines.
I'm also after a timing case for an 18RG...

Off the topic, anyone know where i could get some ignition leads which wuld fit the 18R-G properly? none of the caps seem to be the right size.

edit: not valve clearances, I meant to say needs shims to be resized so the clearances are correct

[Updated on: Sun, 07 July 2002 12:29]

raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and there's no way in hell I'm selling the original Efi one.
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from the info i have gathered the G is for the twincam the E is for the efi system. and the U is for the valve design. and the heads dont have to be machined to get the injector cutouts. all you need to do it put some ink or something on the intake manifold. put it up against the head to leave an outline and scribe the outline. wipe your marking fluid off and attack it with a wood chisel. the alloy comes away very eaisily. you may thinkit is brutal, but afte ri removed most of what i wanted to i just hit it with my dremel and smoothed it all out. a round file would work too.
raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, I think it's brutal No No No
Razz
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G = twin cam
E = EFI (not the type of head)
U = jap emissions controls
C = calafornian emissions controls

E does mean EFI.
If you put carbs on an original EFI engine, you should drop the E, and possibly the U.

Yeh, the 18R-GEU had bigger valves, but it was done in an attempt to restore the power that was lost from the new emission standards the engine had to comply with.
raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Sun, 07 July 2002 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E does mean efi but it also means different head... trust me i have both... may post pictures when i eventually get my efi head back from the engine shop. But i told them not to hurry so it won't be for at least a few months.
SlatemazZ
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Tue, 09 July 2002 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although you are right about the E in 18-RGEU, there are 18-RGEU models with the sideraft carbies out there. This is because of the larger valves with the efi model and also because the efi system can be restricted on hp.

I have an 18-RGEU model with twin 40mm webers instead of the efi system. the engine is a normally aspirated 2L (non-turbo) with 60/25 cams, lightened flywheel, 2 1/4" extractors, high comp. pistons etc.

heres a pic of what i'm talking about
http://www.geocities.com/opeth_rulez/18RGEU.jpg

i've installed this into an st141 corona '84, pulls about 8 secs in 0-100kmh.

if i had somewhere to load my other pictures i could show you the car before and after the conversion.

if anyone is interested, just reply here.

regards,
jarrod
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Tue, 09 July 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SlatemazZ: Yes plz if u could.

Others: What about a turbo! What should i get?
SlatemazZ
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Tue, 09 July 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok heres a picture of the engine bay with the stock 2S-C engine

http://www.geocities.com/slatemazz/old_engine_bay.jpg

now heres the engine bay with the recent 18-RGEU engine, with some mods including the power steering rack support - celica engines didn't come with power steering - electronic fuel pump, aircon brackets (aircon to be installed soon, its still winter). Very Happy

http://www.geocities.com/slatemazz/engine_bay.jpg

and heres the picture of the car: new paint job, mags, wider tyres, loud stereo system etc.

http://www.geocities.com/slatemazz/the_beast.jpg

i have a heap of more photos to post but will post em when i make a website on the car, with all the mods and how to's.

so stay tuned...

regards,
jarrod
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Wed, 10 July 2002 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see the pics?!?!?!
u got another link, or can u e-mail me them?

Mini_mustang@hotmail.com
or
spyder_gbanger@hotmail.com
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Wed, 10 July 2002 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a T03 with T04 comp fan in it.
Plus I put 308 holden valves in the head, on avgas it pumped out 400hp very easily.
I then put a bigger cam 60/25 changed the EFI to quad throttle body with 8 injectors and custom inter cooler, custom made counter weighted crank (copy of TRD one), bore it out to run 90.5mm vw pistions,
Got a peck HP at 500 @ 5500 rpm. Spin 3 gears and run low 13's in full weight RA40.

Was a great car to drive, currently trying to rebuild it, sold the block off, and part of the EFI, am looking to fit a blower to the motor when I rebuild it this time.
raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Wed, 10 July 2002 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did you get the VW pistons and are they the forged ones? I have 1 set(forged) but looking for a second one. Also would you still have the original computer and loom? no one i know seems to have one and I would like one very much. would make rego much easier...
Where did you get the crank? how much was it? Actually i'd be interested in a fully detailed description of exactly what you did, where you got parts and what it all cost.

Also, any idea of how to do a power steering conversion by spending as little $$ as possible on an RA40???
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Wed, 10 July 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
diddo.

what raistlin said.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Wed, 10 July 2002 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me Three...

I also would love to know.
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Turbo for an 18RGU??? Wed, 10 July 2002 21:32 Go to previous message
I got all your messages, Will sit down when i get some time and write out all the details,
The pistons are forged, and come from a 90.5mm type A bore kit, cost 450 last time I brought them, I think they are about 800 now. Got them from Pobjoy racing, he also made the copy crank for me.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA40 Brake conversion.
Next Topic:Electrical wiring diagrams for the 1JZ GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 22:51:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062220096588135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.