Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Decal Removal - how to???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
icon5.gif  Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 07:24 Go to next message
Hey, I just got my new door and quarter panel installed, and saved myself about $1100 by getting the panels myself and having them already the right colour! BUT

how do I remove these rather daggy White Lightening decals on the door? What is the best way? Just a knife and lots of time or what?

See them below the trim here

http://www.edmedia.info/edmedia/images/car.jpg

thanx! Rob
  Send a private message to this user    
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya rob, i think you will find that the best way would be to maybe heat them up.
justin
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah tricky! what with? just like a hair dryer? just heat them up and peel 'em off you reckon?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heat them up a bit and use your finger nails - it is going to take time and suck.

You could use a razor blade if your confident that you will not catch an edge.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bite my nails something chronic so this could be a problem Smile Yeah, I am worried about catching an edge. I don't want it to suck! Don't say that... I guess it isn't one of those easy fix things.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would call a panel shop and see if they know of any quicker methods, maybe with some help of some nice chemicals (ones that don't take the paint as well though)
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that how I removed all the Decals off my car.

I just sat there with a Hairdryer and as they heated up enough (to the point that became soft and pliable) just peeled them back ever so slowly.

Takes a while took about 2 hours just to remove the word CELICA off the back (mind you it was all cracked and dry from the sun)
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used prepsol, a heat gun and an old credit card to take the pinstripe of my sprinter works ok but its time consuming! the prepsol and heat make it nice and soft and the glue just lets go
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the paint is not chiped and in good condition a pressure washer at close range makes short work of stickers,

Do it on the cars at work all the time set the nozzle to point rather then fan spray and hold at a 45deg angle to the edge of the sticker and work from there.. after that a bit of polish and not a trace is left.

Allan
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm do Car Lovers have those washers?? I maybe a borrowed Karcher is the go..
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think car lovers ones are set to fan spray all the time so it dosent take huge sheets of paint off when you hit a stone chip with it.

Allan
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
careful with high pressure cleaners
they can catch a flakes paint shard and rip off the rest in a nice jagged line

*respray

id be going the prepsol and heat
best combo
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift drift said it in 1!!!! DONT USE HIGH PRESSURE CLEANERS ON YOUR PAINT, i learnt the hard way with my corolla, i will take the stickers and the paint with it!!!!! just ask your mum for the hair dryer and heat away, just take your time and be careful and you will love the results, it wont happen over night, but it will happen Laughing

justin
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read what i said!!! only on good paint and no stone chips

unless theres an edge for the water to get under the paint its perfectly safe.. and if you havent touched up your stone chips you deserve it anyway!!!

Allan
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, i read what you said, but it does not take much to take off the paint with a high pressure cleaner.
justin Cool
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Wed, 30 July 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed i dont think the high pressured spray is not the best of ideas i know a mate that went it to car lovers and guess what some of his paint came away from the body.... not good best way i think heat gun and wait till its warm and peal it off and then to get the rest of the sticky stuff off get some tea tree oil and it will burn the sticky crap off with out hurting ur paint.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Thu, 31 July 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caramel Wheel!!!

As per the following threadhttp://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=14303&rid=218&S=dcb8b9c73a7d25fabffb57b7 79315d62&pl_view=&start=0#msg_117163

It is a bit harsh on dodgy paint though.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Thu, 31 July 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like im gonna have to get some tea tree oil. Just tryed taking off my stickers with a hair dryer, they came off fine but all the sticky gluey shit is still there! looks so shit. I hope the tea tree oil will take car of that, otherwise i just made a mess of my car. Mad
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Decal Removal - how to??? Thu, 31 July 2003 07:58 Go to previous message
Citrus clean and Prepsol should help with the sticky muck.

Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cat removal on 3SGTE
Next Topic:7M-GTE Power Steering Pump
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:06:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065708160400391 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.