Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 00:05 Go to next message
Hi all,

Not knowing tooo much about the insides of toyota engines i have a 1uz-fe in a 30 series soarer of a friend that is sort of making a ticking sound, noticable at idle. Sounds like the head needs the shims adjusted (or are they just variable thickness buckets ?)

Anybody care to guess what it would be ?
And if it is shims, A.) can they be done with the engine still in the car ? and B.) who in melbourne could do this.

E
  Send a private message to this user    
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The shims do need re-doing every so often (maybe 120,000kms) It is something that I'd like to get done. Best ask on the ALSC forum for a place in melbourne that does it. I'd be interested in how much it costs if you can give us a report.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ $12 per shim (wholesale TOYOTA Smiley $$ watch out Shocked Shocked Shocked

the best bet (as it always is) is to do it yourself: as it is the single most tedious task, and its not very technical - you end up just paying the mechanic for his time, not his skill...

i just did mine, and i set up an excel sheet to help me figure out how to swap the existing shims i had around, so i had to buy the least number to get all the valves to spec.

out of 24v i only had to buy 3 new shims. EVERY other shim got swapped into a new spot Very Happy

cheers
ed

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are the shims identical?

How did you know if you could move them around? Do you have one of your tech articles on it?

If I bring a case of beer to your place, could you help me do it? How long would it take?... ps if we drank the whole case I might need a bed for the night too Cool
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Thu, 31 July 2003 13:53

Are the shims identical?

How did you know if you could move them around? Do you have one of your tech articles on it?

If I bring a case of beer to your place, could you help me do it? How long would it take?... ps if we drank the whole case I might need a bed for the night too Cool

Shit Pete, how bad are your shims??? I don't recall your engine sounding particularly "tappety" last time I heard it...

As for time, I'd suggest that it will quite a bit on a 1U...(At least a couple of cases - sleep - more work - another case... Laughing )
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know how bad they are. It does sound like the usual number 7 cylinder has a bit of a tick from it, so shims is on my list of things to look at, so is porting the heads majorly, but thats not part of this discussion.

Reason why you havn't heard it is that you can only hear it on idle if you're listening for it. My car is rarely idling though. Evil or Very Mad
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Thu, 31 July 2003 14:02

Reason why you havn't heard it is that you can only hear it on idle if you're listening for it. My car is rarely idling though. Evil or Very Mad

Tell me something I don't know... Laughing

Two things, though.

1) Can you give me an idea of costs etc when you do yours? (As for jan/Feb next year, I'll have 2 1UZs in the garage, so it would be handy to get an idea...and,

2) Are you up for Wakefield???
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pete - realisticaly, you probably dont need to swap all your shims around... odds-on there's only one or two that are out of spec, and we can figure out which ones they are really quickly by taking the cam covers off, and checking the cam clearances with a feeler...

once we see how far out of spec they are, you can decide if you want to pull them out and replace them

pulling it down would prolly take an hour, then we'd have to find what shims we need, shoot down to toyota, and buy/order them, go home, drink beer, wait for a call from toyota, go back, pick them up, put it all back together...

OR

"maybe" we can find the SST which will make it about 500% faster Razz

BTW - does anyone have a 1UZ block and heads lying around they want to sell? nothing else, just block and heads, doesnt matter if theyre totaly fubar either...

even just the heads would be a good start... Very Happy

cheers
ed
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Thu, 31 July 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, well sounds like i just need to find some body willing to do the work, i really dont feel upto it myself.

Will check out the soarer forums for a place in melb if i can.

E
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Fri, 01 August 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan: Go to the planet soarer website and find his email (Peter Scott), I'm pretty sure he's in melbourne. He knows a lot.

Ed: I'm pretty sure it will be the number 7 cylinder which is on the battery side bank (Right side?). Its also the easyer cam cover to take off. They've been off before to give them a clean & spray, and to clean the lobes of the camshafts.

Glad it doesn't invlove taking off the heads. Might learn something about shims doing it my(your -evan) self.

Ed: How long would it take to drive to Penrith Toyota from your place? an hour? The guys know me there, I've rang them a lot.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Fri, 01 August 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure that it's not something in the belt drive though, e.g. tensioner, alternator etc. - drop the belt off, start it up, and listen! Evil or Very Mad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Fri, 01 August 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Fri, 01 August 2003 10:51

Ed: How long would it take to drive to Penrith Toyota from your place? an hour? The guys know me there, I've rang them a lot.

5 mins
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Fri, 01 August 2003 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it affect the performance in anyway? Since getting my Soarer back from the almighty BHG, the ticking noise is quite audible.. It shits me, but I may be selling it, so i don't know if I should bother Smile

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Fri, 01 August 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Fri, 01 August 2003 14:10

Does it affect the performance in anyway?

if the shims are under spec, its probably ok (just annoying, plus youre missing out on 0.003" of lift Rolling Eyes )

if theyre over spec, thats bad as the valves wont seat properly, and youll be likely to blow a valve...

but generally, no, it wont affect performance *much*

cheers
ed
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe "ticking" (shims need adjusting ?, where to get done ?) Fri, 01 August 2003 07:34 Go to previous message
Ed, ahh ok I thought you were actually UP the mountains.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rx7 brakes in ae86
Next Topic:18RG Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 17:14:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006598949432373 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.