Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cressida check engine light on - help

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
binny
Regular

March 2003
Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 08:36 Go to next message
Hi all,
I have an '89 mx83 which I got serviced today. It had the oil and filter changed, transmission oil, plugs, a couple of belts and other non engine related stuff. I drove it around newcastle for a good half hour before heading out of town towards my place, where the "check engine" light came on when I was travelling at about 90.
It still seems to be running fine, but it was after closing time so I couldn't call the mechanics about it.
Can any other cressida owners tell me how to work out the fault code and point me towards a list of the codes?
Also would it be worth disconnecting the battery to reset the computer and see if comes on again?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm supposed to take it to Wagga on Sunday and I'm not sure if my mechanic is open on Saturdays. I don't want to drive it that far if its doing damage.

Thanks in advance
Binny
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a manual, you can run a diagnostic using the pin outs under a little cap labelled "Diagnostic" usually in the engine bay near the battery.

Your manual will have a list of corresponding codes to the flashing indicators on your dash.

This will tell you what sensor is returning the error, and you can check to make sure it just hasn't been knocked or unplugged by accident, which is usually the case.

If it is more than that, I recommend a mechanic Smile
frebbles
Regular

May 2002

Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to short two pins on the "Diagnostics" plug under the driver side, Just below the "Bonnet release"...
The pins you need to short are TE1, and E1. Once you do this, turn the ignition key on and the engine light will flash in a sequence as follows...
flash.flash.flash....flash.....

This would be code 3..1 (31)...
If you get this code and post it on the forums, I can probably tell you what may be the problem. However, I have the JZ series engines fault codes, they may be similar and lead you in a constructive direction.

Be careful if you do this, you shouldn't do this if you dont know what you're doing, just wait until you can take it to toyota. I accept no responsibility blah blah. Remember, this works with JZ series engines. Not 100% positive on the 7M series engines. But i'd be confident.
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that frebbles,
I just went out and shorted the pins as you described. When I turned the ignition on the "od off" light was flashing and the check engine light flashed twice then once (21). If you can tell us what that code means It would be appreciated.
Cheers
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
21 is faulty o2 sensor

theres a list of codes here.....

7M ECU codes
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went and had a look at the o2 sensor and wiring. The wire went almost against the exhaust manifold and a corner of the plug was melted a bit. So I undid the plug and re-routed the wire behind another pipe so it can't touch the manifold, reset the computer and its all good. Smile

Thanks for you help guys.

p.s. that page from supras.com is very helpful. I will have to add that to my favourites
Thanks again
Binny
binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Fri, 01 August 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PPS.
My mechanic was so impressed by the cressy he wants to buy one. I was shocked as he's such a critical bastard of cars. It seems that everyone who has a drive wants to get one.
Guess he knows build quality when he sees it. Smile
frebbles
Regular

May 2002

Re: Cressida check engine light on - help Sat, 02 August 2003 02:26 Go to previous message
Good Stuff!!
Thats what i love about these forums! Smile
Glad to see it's all figured out!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZGTE problem.
Next Topic:Can a TPS be fixed?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 18:01:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050489902496338 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar