Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Mon, 04 August 2003 15:49 Go to next message
I am going ahead with the conversion on my car and dropping a 3SGTE into My ST162 Celica.

My main Problem is the box.

I am wanting to convert the 4WD GT4 box to run power to the front wheels only. Has anyone done this or know how it's done. Maybe even some places that may do it.

Thanks

(please don't post any messages saying to use the V6 Camry box or MR2 box as I do already know these but will only resort to them if the box conversion becomes too pricey)
  Send a private message to this user    
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Mon, 04 August 2003 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a nutshell, the GT4 gearbox is not designed to be used in FWD mode and you would be better off selling it and getting a mr2 box ;p

And why would you want the extra weight of the 4wd box when you can get a lighter box to work for less?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Mon, 04 August 2003 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep it can be done a dude on the forums [m1keyz] i think is his name.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, m1k3yz did it.

I'll forward this thread to him.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gt4 box can't be modified to 2WD, if it could i would be using it. But i'm stuck with the camery box.

just another point, if u can get the st205 halfcut go for it as is has more power that the st185. So it will be cheaper to get the high lvl KW(+200 @ the wheels).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But it can...and it says that above...because he did...

Having said that, he reckons that the MR2 box would've been better from memory Razz
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, as was said above (twice). It can, and has, been done.

And yeah, MR2 Turbo box is a much better choice. Harder to find though I think...
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in theory nething can be done, so long as u have $$$$. I was told to get the gt4 box to work for FWD only it would cost me about $2000 and then it still might not pass the engineers cert.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope. It wasn't that difficult from what I was told. Don't remember the specifics though.

Where is Mikey?!

Have you done a search? I'm pretty sure he described how he did it a couple of times...
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza whoever told u it would cost $2000 to do probably didnt have a clue as to how to make the box 2WD either, therefore was going to charge you for their time and research in learning how to do this.

or they knew how to do it and wanted to rip u off.

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would say the first. It was going to cost me less and have less weight if i just took the sv21 box.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah id have to agree if i was in that situation i would have used a camry/celica box as well and not bothered with the GT4 box.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2 turbo gear box the reason i say that is the cvs are bigger therefore the drieshafts are stringer ie wont break... will be better also the ratios are better suited for a turbo car which the gt4 is! also u can get an lsd box even better! although u will need to upgrade the hubs to suit!
Mos
Occasional Poster

Toymods IT Secretary

June 2002
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the ways to convert the 4WD box to FWD only is to lock the centre differential. In the ST185 and ST205 there is a viscous coupling across the centre diff. You can replace that with a locked section to lock the centre diff - this is what mickey did after blowing up his viscous coupling after ignoring reasonable advice Wink

I believe mikey got someone to machine out the replacement - cost I don't know. You could probably also try to weld up the viscous coupling somehow.

Another way is using the 2WD mode of the gearbox to do A) lock the centre diff, and B) disconnect the rear outlet. From what I can gather there's nothing wrong with actually doing that - IMHO the people that have blown up their boxes had severe brain fade when they used it in 2WD mode on the dyno, or didn't know they where doing. In one particular case the bolt for the lever was not put back in and the transmission worked itself back into 4WD mode while at full pelt, shattering the centre diff.

In any case, caveat emptor.

HTH.
Mos.
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if u can i would really love to know about how it was done! because i found a leaver on the back to disingage the coupling from the rear output shaft so i did! than i took the rear out put shaft out wich is held in but 4 or 5 bolts! got a plate made up for it to block it off got custome drive shafts made first boot full blew the crap out of the cupling leaving me going no where! now i have to find out what the heack was done to this box to make it work please! i have talked to a heap of people and they said no way! but the same people told me that u cant take out the rear out put shaft so...
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the moment i have the camry box in and the box hates the turbo only a matter of time before its gone! if this can be done i need to know if not im stripping my camry box and having everything criotuffed but i would prefure the GT4 box as its all set up
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did it, works fine, was about 4hrs labour involved in it If I remember right. Ive got a complete working transfer case you can bolt up if interested, with a locked coupling, so just bolt up to your St185 box and voila. If interested through me an email, mikey@endsurfer.com

But its a matter of machining the coupling at both ends to open it, removing the plates and fluid, then lining the splines up, tacking it back together as one piece then welding it up all the way around. If you do it right it shouldnt warp. We did it ourselves.

Michael
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers email sent! Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mikey,

Thanks man i'll have to look at that. If I have any further questions about it I'll send you an e-mail.

That would be nice with the transfer case. if turbocamry doesn't beat me to it.
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Nod me happy to say i have sorry!
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Tue, 05 August 2003 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wuts the estimated price on that?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Modify 4WD box to run 2WD Wed, 06 August 2003 01:52 Go to previous message
as mikey said He did it themselves so there would have been no cost. but about 4-5 hours labor, can't be that cheap.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How the fark do you take a heater out?
Next Topic:1GGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 22:47:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074241161346436 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.