Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Akina_HachiRoku
Newcomer

July 2003
icon5.gif  I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 03:41 Go to next message
Hi,
As you can see from the topic I am unsatisfied with the speed and power of my car.
I currently drive an AE82 hatchback with only a SOHC, yes I know my car is the laughing stock on the road and I'm sick of getting passed by those crappy Hyundai Excel at the lights. No matter how much I push or rev it(actually I don't know how much I'm reeving it, because there is no rev meter just a clock) it seem like it's going no where.
Don't get me wrong I love my car, there is nothing more satisfying then taking your hard earned car for a spin. But performance wise I think it's time for my car to have an upgrade.
I really don't know much about performance modification so is there any suggestion of how to make my AE82 faster?
Or is it possible to make my AE82 faster?

- I don't want a turbo. Event though it's one easiest solution of adding more HP, but a force induction system will do more harm to the engine and reduce the life of the engine dramatically.

so are there any suggestion?
  Send a private message to this user    
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Extract SOHC boat anchor.

Ditch boat anchor

Procure 4AG/Z/E engine (add $$ depending on type)

Install in engine bay.

Wire

Drive

Very Happy <=== (That's you after the above is completed!)
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok then no forced 20v black top half cut saw one for 3200 today .... not bad! with the 6 speed
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that is the only thing you want from the car "to blow people away from the lights" Go the GZE!! No if's or butt's!

You might even get away with it only costing about $2000 if you can do the work yourself!!

Yes Very Happy <------ this could be you!!

And excell drivers will look like -----> Shocked

A few commodore drivers will look like this---> Embarassed

Get the brakes done too or you will look like this --> Freak

Or even this -----> Skull
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also if you have a 4agze it is designed to take the forced induction (because it is) and if you look after it, it should look after you.
Akina_HachiRoku
Newcomer

July 2003
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestions.
So an engine swap is the only way to go?
If I was to have an engine swap, what other components do I have to change on the car?
Would I have to change i.e Brakes, clutch, gearbox, calibrate my dash instruments, suspension...etc?
How much would I have to spend to have full engine swap done but a profession?
So what is the difference between the 4A-GE and 4A-GZ?
20v or 16v??
How much extra Hp or Kw if I had a swap?
SuperCharger 20v sounds good, plz more info.
What is realistically the best affordable engine to put in my car?
Sorry about all the questions, like wrote before on my previous post I really have very little technical knowledge. I need all the help I can get, thanks.

need_boost
Regular

July 2003

Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Thu, 31 July 2003 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could always try to trick up the existing engine

extractors, exhuast, cams

but then you'd still have a slow car that sounded like a fart in a 44 gallon drum...

i'd say the 4A-GE would be your best bet, considering you dont want to forced induction

i personally dont know much about the conversion but loads of info can be found on this site - try the forums search or the link section
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Sun, 03 August 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is no factory 4agze 20v. a 4agze i supercharged, a 4age is not. read the article on model and engine codes, it will explain that the 'z' stands for supercharged, 'e' for efi, 'g' for twincam etc. the cheepest swap would probably be a 4age smallport, these are an NA 16v engine that is roughly 100kw. for only a few dollars more you could get a 4age 20v silvertop which is basically a newer version of the 16v and puts out about 120kw. the 4agze also puts out roughly 120kw but is much quicker off the mark that the 20v silvertop. the silvertop is better when you hit higher revs so it would be better on the track. the decision between 4agze and 4age20v is just personal peference really. if you have a couple of thousand more you could get a 4age 20v blacktop, these are about 130kw from memory and are fairly new, hence the high price.

I saw an add in the trading post the other day. is said 4age engine conversions from $1500. Your car would be relatively cheep because the 4age will bolt straight in.

Note: supercharger and insurance don't go together very well.
Akina_HachiRoku
Newcomer

July 2003
icon5.gif  Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just worndering if there is a Toyota Racing Development(TRD) store or a store that sells TRD components in Australia>??
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can buy TRD stuff from Penrith Toyota and Castle Hill Toyota as far as I know.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not too sure if they sell... THE GOOD STUFF... but I think there is a place in WA?? Penrith Toyota or some name similar to that.....

What I mean by the good stuff is,... well.... they do sell clear tail lights for the echo. Embarassed so are they serious about performance or what?
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grrrr Rob beat me to it.. virtually seconds that would have been ... hehe 19:06 Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe that always wierds me out too! 'cause I post, then go back to the room, and it has an "Unread" post, and I am like, "What the....???"

yes! I am Mr. Xtra Fast Typer Razz
Akina_HachiRoku
Newcomer

July 2003
icon5.gif  Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any TRD stores in Vic??
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Tue, 05 August 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope
Akina_HachiRoku
Newcomer

July 2003
icon5.gif  Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Mon, 18 August 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's weird...
I check the official TRD homepage and check the distributors list and found out that there are two official TRD distributors in New Zealand, but there is none in Australia..
Why???
Question :- :-
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Mon, 18 August 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nz is the dumping ground for all japans car and they get them VERY cheap! this is why there is trd stores in japan cos there is increased demand, mainly for starlet gts and new model fwd sprinters
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: I cant Capitan! She just don't have the power!! Fri, 03 October 2003 11:55 Go to previous message
Call it a "dumping ground" if you want, but Australia would be a much better place with a few more imports.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz-gte into an ae86
Next Topic:Urgent Wiring Diagram AE93
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 01:50:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078639984130859 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.