Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
icon5.gif  Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 04:20 Go to next message
Since pod filters are illegal unless enclosed, how would a good panel filter (such as K&N) compare with a pod? I can't see the panel filter allowing anywhere near as much airflow.

Also, should I just go ahead and put a pod filter in my '89 celica? It's not like I'm gonna get pulled over and inspected right? Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I could show you what the difference is on two VTI-R civics.

Both dynoed about 10 mins apart, both stock except, one with POD and cool air ducting, and the other (my G/F's VTi-R) replacement panel filter and cool air ducting.

Difference???? 6.2 hp at the wheels!!! That's a 4.6kw diference at the wheels of a N/A car.

Oh yeah.... the car with the 4.6kw more at the wheels was my G/F's with the replacement panel filter........

Food or thought!!

SPEEDCORE!

[Updated on: Thu, 31 July 2003 04:29]

Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the Civic with the panel filter had the extra hp? Am I reading your post right?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe thats gold speedcore, did u tell the owner of the other civic about the kw difference?
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the panel filter got more HP!

Yeah he's a nice guy..... but he spewed when he saw my printout!

This was at the dyno day where norbie got 302hp at the wheels!!
Smart ass!!
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It also depends on the car you are using.
On my mk3 supra the pod filter is definately noticable.
But the mk3 supra has a pretty restrictive air intake.
Pod filter with cold air intake is even more noticable.

Brett.
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point - anyone know which would be better for my '89 3S-GE Celica?
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had both panel filter and pod filter in my 3S-FE equipped RAV4. I must say the pod is much better:

- more (good) noise
- more power
- more fuel economy

as compared to a K&N drop in panel filter. BTW, i had no idea pod was illegal...but that won't stop me. Don't see too many RAV4s being pulled over Rolling Eyes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as said, depends on your car.
on a relatively new car, a drop in panel filter is great, and tends to perform as well, or better, than a pod
on older cars (like an 89 celica) the pod filer with cool air ducting would be the better choice.

as for not getting pulled over.... well I've never had a cop ask me to pop the bonnet, but I know of a few places they love to set up defecting stations. If I ever encounter one of those, I'm going to be seriously tempted to do a barney
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pod vs panel filters Thu, 31 July 2003 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mozrav wrote on Thu, 31 July 2003 22:14

I've had both panel filter and pod filter in my 3S-FE equipped RAV4. I must say the pod is much better:

- more fuel economy

explain please?
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 01 August 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What i meant was the fuel economy has increased with the pod filter, as compared to the K&N drop in filter. Under the same driving conditions i get more kilometers from one tank of petrol on a pod filter than compared to a drop in filter. I think the recent colder Melb. weather has helped here too, but on average i'm getting about 40-50 kms more out of a tank of petrol with the pod filter. BTW, this is what's helping me get better fuel economy and power in my Rav:

http://www.procarparts.com/product/AI-rav9699.JPG
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 01 August 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool. where did you get it all from? Smile especially the AFM -> Pod adapter
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Sat, 02 August 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got that air intake kit from a company called ProCarParts in America. Normally they sell it for US$50 thru their site but brand new kits pop up on ebay quite regularly. I won my kit on ebay for US$30...shipping was a bummer though...US$50! But all up the final outlay was AU$135 (intake kit, shipping, fees/charges, etc). Those 135 dollars have given me more power, meaner sound and less fuel consumption. Also i like the looks i get from people when i open up the throttle as i drive past them...very rare for a RAV4 Very Happy

BTW, those silicone hoses and AFM adapter were of no use on an Aussie 3S-FE engine. They're still sitting in my garage.
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Sun, 03 August 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is your newish 3s-fe MAP sensored or something? cause my 3s-fe is AFM and so definately needs the AFM adaptor. i had a metal shop make one up for me for my CAI.
irwige
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: Pod vs panel filters Sun, 03 August 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aparantly on the 1jz-gte (soarer TT) BFI and a decent pannel filter (ie TRD/K&N) will perform equally as well as a Pod.

however the intake noise form a pod is way better.
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Sun, 03 August 2003 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazy_camry wrote on Sun, 03 August 2003 18:55

is your newish 3s-fe MAP sensored or something? cause my 3s-fe is AFM and so definately needs the AFM adaptor. i had a metal shop make one up for me for my CAI.

On the stock air intake setup there is no visible AFM. All you can see is an air intake temp. sensor going into the stock air intake setup. When i removed the stock piping and box from my Rav all i used was the reducer, chrome pipe, pod filter, hose clamps and the long rectangular metal bit you see in the pic above to support the pod from below.

The AFM adaptor and silicone hoses were not used...the hoses need to be used on American RAV4s as they have tougher pollution control stuff. I capped off 2 of the openings in the chrome pipe (where the hoses would slip over in American RAVs) with some of those rubber endcaps you see on the bottom of outdoor chair legs.

I'll post a pic of my setup soon but till then here's a pic of the intake kit in an American RAV. The owner has not removed the lower half of the stock air filter box...he's using it to support the pod. In my case i've removed the entire air filter box and used the supplied metal bracket to support the pod.

http://www.donstellwagen.com/airintake/img1.jpg

And he uses the AFM adaptor as a cupholder Laughing

http://www.donstellwagen.com/airintake/img8.jpg
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Sun, 03 August 2003 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm can I buy your cupholder? pleeeze
I will get you a much nicer one from Grace Brothers Razz
no but really...

[Updated on: Sun, 03 August 2003 23:30]

Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Mon, 04 August 2003 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahah Laughing
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Mon, 04 August 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mozrav wrote on Mon, 04 August 2003 07:37

On the stock air intake setup there is no visible AFM. [img]

my old 3s-fe has the AFM box thing between air filter and throttle body. soon to be between air filter and turbo Very Happy
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Tue, 05 August 2003 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazy_camry, how old is your Camry's 3S-FE engine? My friend has a 1988 Camry and his 3S-FE engine also has an AFM. My 1996 RAV4's 3S-FE does not have an AFM so maybe they dropped it for some reason between those years?

RobST162, if you really want the cup holder you can have it Very Happy
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
icon5.gif  Re: Pod vs panel filters Wed, 06 August 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to put a pod on my 86 3s-ge celica aswell but I need an adoptor so I can put it on infront of the AFM.....does anybody know where I can get 1 from......autobarn has 1 that says it is sutable for toyota and nissan will this fit? Jaxe how are u getting urs on?
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Wed, 06 August 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 92 camry. they would have dropped it like they did on later model 3s-gte.

Skinnypoo measure the bolt pattern on the AFM and see if it is the same as the adaptor they are selling. i imagine it would fit though if it says it will fit toyota as they seem to have a genric AFM.
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
icon14.gif  Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 08 August 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Fitted my pod to my 86 3s-ge celica last night.......when the revs gets into the TVIS (4000-4500rpm i think it starts) it sounds insane. I not sure about power mabey a little more......but im bloddy happy with how it sounds..

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 08 August 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine does that with the panel filter + the cold air induction too Wink
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 08 August 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh.. how about that?! I put my new filter in last night too! I've noticed the difference too.. pretty good/quick mod.
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 08 August 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"mine does that with the panel filter + the cold air induction too"

How did u set ur cold air induction up???
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 08 August 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the moment mine runs better with no air filter cause my pod is filthy too restrictive.... LOL just put a stocking over the pipping and it works like a treet for the time being....
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: Pod vs panel filters Fri, 08 August 2003 04:27 Go to previous message
A stocking? One from your private collection? Haha just kidding mate! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age AE95
Next Topic:which brake master cylinder?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-