Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
'89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 05 August 2003 03:23 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I bought my '89 White Lightning in February with 137000 on the clock. It's stock and so far has no mods except a new leather boot for the gear stick (not pictured), new head unit and Pioneer splits in the front and 6x9's in the back (also not pictured).
A K&N panel filter is on order and I'll have it in by the weekend. (Big thanks to Rob!)

It's a limited edition White Lightning model - identical to the regular SX, but with sunroof, leather steering wheel, white alloys (yuck), bucket seats from the GT-Four and graphic EQ. Apparently they only brought 150 into Australia.

I've got lots of things I'd like to do to her, but I'm also saving for a big trip away, so she'll have to be patient.

Check out the pics, they were taken the day I got it. Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

http://www.myfunction.com/celica/celica04b.jpg

http://www.myfunction.com/celica/celica14b.jpg

http://www.myfunction.com/celica/celica05b.jpg

http://www.myfunction.com/celica/celica10b.jpg

I'm looking for some new wheels. If anybody's selling or knows of a good place in Sydney let me know! Thanks.

One more thing, my car was manufactured in late 1989, does this make it an ST162? How can I tell (soooo newbie)?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2003 04:33]

Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 05 August 2003 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bewtiful ST162 there Jaxe. Mint condition too. Engine bay looks so clean! Wish mine was as new as that. Just did my 200k this week Smile

nice ride, can't wait to see it in the flesh Smile You should get your front lip painted too. A definite to-do!
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 05 August 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rob,

Yeah she's real nice and very original. I try to keep her tidy.

I've just gone past 140000 K's, which is still not much for 14 years.

We will have to meet up, I'm dying to have a ride in your ST162.

What's involved in paining the front lip? How much will it cost (yes, I'm a tight a$$)?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 05 August 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had it done when I had my sunroof 'fixed' (I just discovered a little rust yesterday). But if you take it off (easy peasy) and get it matched to your colour (and ask for left over paint) it should only cost maybe $100 - $150 max I reckon. Possibly less. the effort will be in matching the paint.
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 05 August 2003 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought there was a standard "Toyota White"?
On second thoughts, probably not because my sunroof doesn't quite match the rest of the paint. Crying or Very Sad
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pay to get it painted. haha....

I am more a do it yourself guy so I kinda modified it, sanded it back, got some primer and paint from autobarn and did it myself.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 August 2003 02:34]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I painted it myself first too, but found the "colour that was my car's colour" according to the chart was nothing like my cars colour! So when I got my car booked to get the sunroof done I just said, 'paint these also' Smile

it looked soo gay when I first did it with a slightly off white
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate nice car you got there!!

Your car looks so clean! and i can't believe you've only got 140k on her, mines got a wopping 231k, she still runs sweet tho thats the main thing. Check out my new pix in the members section somtime, let me know what you think.

haha im even worse then all of you guys, i got a few cans of auto spray paint from k-mart and away i went Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SCO-77K wrote on Wed, 06 August 2003 15:59

mines got a wopping 231k, she still runs sweet tho thats the main thing.

That's what I thought mine had 254k on her still sounded and ran soooo nicely. Still went as tough as almost new...... It's dead now Twisted Evil
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R.I.P - Respect to the 3S-GE.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 August 2003 09:40]

"gt4rider"
Regular

December 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like a good buy you got yourself there. Low km's, clean and I have to comment on that engine bay! Which mine was like that! Mad

Another option for your bumper would be to pick up a gt4 front from a wreckors. I have seen a few around the place, even white if i remember rightly. I dont think they would want much more than $100 for one. Then all you will need is a 3sgte and you will be well on your way.

Anyway enjoy your ride, I sure enjoyed my 2 and a bit years and 65,000km's I did in mine! So much so I guess I had to buy it's superior.

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey cool I have really been wanting a GT4 front bumper, and didn't know exactly where to look. Are there any that you have in mind who would be worth ringing.

I guess it would have to be a spares importer...
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very neat and tidy but how much did it cost ya?
"gt4rider"
Regular

December 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit, shit I can not recall where again. It was out west in some shit place I have never been before. I hade to replace my radiator only a month or so ago and they had a front cut in the yard! I will have a look and find the receipt and let you know.

But the way I started the hunt for my radiator which is different from the st162, and I pretty mean task in it self was to look in my magazine mainly Hot 4's and yellow pages. About 50 or so phone calls later and laughs from about half of the pricks saying "you will never get one of those, hahaha good luck" I got one.

Fuck why is it that you have got to be a scamming rude mother fu#$% to work in a wreckers!!
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey hotrolla,

I bought it from a dealer for $8000 with some work done before i picked it up (timing belt, new radiator hoses, flush radiator).

A little steep I know, but worth it for such a fine specimen. All the other ST162's I took for a test drive felt like they were coming apart! This was the best by far and worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

Cheers.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$8Gs aye. It seems like a lot, but for so few kilometres I reckon you will 're-coup' a lot of the money (which I have had to spend) by not spending on repairs etc. Especially with the incredibly low kilometers. When I was buying mine I couldn't find anything near that mark!

Nice one mate.
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - it is a lot of money for an old car, but I believe that you get what you pay for. I also paid a little more for the radiator and timing belt work, but it would have been more if I got it done somewhere other than thru the dealer.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 06 August 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So gt4rider the radiator on the St165 are different to the 162 are they. Ohh well i was planning on using the one from my halfcut anyway.

Rob remember at the dyno day that guy with the blue 162 (airbrushed) with the gt4 bar, he paid about 600 he said for that bar from a wreckers.

Ohh well I now have a GT4 bar Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy hehe
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 07 August 2003 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm, nice white lightning, i just recently bought my st162 as well, the aqua blu color, sunroof had some cronic rust, but i got a new roof and painted for 500, so im cheering since toyota wanted 670 just for the replacement metal, and my lil celly only has 116,000 on the clock, with full service history and only one owner b4 me, love it, got 17's gopin on next week so the fun is only begining !!!!
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 07 August 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds nice DeViL rolLa, post some pics in your own Readers Rides topic - I'd be really interested to see it. Shocked
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 07 August 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm, indeed, job number 1344532 on the shit list, soon i promise
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 07 August 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think these r the winners

http://www.tyres.com/mag_details.cfm?id=1094

yes / no ???
and probably in chrome, since i got a lyt car
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 07 August 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think these r the winners

http://www.tyres.com/mag_details.cfm?id=1094

yes / no ???
and probably in chrome, since i got a lyt car
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 08 August 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Devil Rola, I am jealous Smile
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 08 August 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice! I still like my wheels better tho Very Happy

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/66653/2.jpg
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 08 August 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damm man, i hope u got a set of springs for that puppy, she a 4wd celica, unfortunatly mine will b too til i can get some nice Low springs for her.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 08 August 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i know i lowering her in a couple of weeks
"gt4rider"
Regular

December 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 08 August 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would recommend that you go and see the guys at "Whiteline" in Minto and see what kind of deal you could sweet talk them into. I know that they looked after me and pretty sure you will be happy.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sco77y, u and me myt have to go for a cruise this weekend, both rollin 17 inch chrome, all 4wd, lol, but too blu celies rollin together would look hot!!!!!!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can I come? Smile pleeeeeze
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, I think my fuel pump is cactus. Crying or Very Sad Anyone got a spare?
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah rob, for sure, i got my money on wed, and hopefully my friend will dog work and we can go out and get ma 17's
maybe instead of a roll we can meet somewhere central and have a chat and some food or some shit, i got another friend with a 162 who'll come, gun-metal grey, 17's, lowered, full stereo exhaust, it will b kool to c the cellies all together !!!
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you guys gonna meet? Mind if I come along? (that is if my car is running by then) Confused
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a plan to me!

I say somewhere around castle hill (cus i live there Very Happy )
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah scotty, that sounds central to me, *rolls eyes*, what does every1 reckon thornleigh maccass, thats big enough, and get alot of viewers as well.
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I live down near Hurstville. I have no idea how to get to Castlie Hill.. how about somewhere closer to the city?
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we all north shore boyz by the sound of it
"gt4rider"
Regular

December 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in Ultimo, nearly the north shore but not quiet. I hope you guys dont mind a ST165 riding along?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah alright. how about Saturday night/afternoon? I am going up the coast sometime Sunday.

We can swap some stories and ideas for the 4thgencelica.com website? Smile

hurstvillle to casto is a heck of a long way. We could meet somewhere in the Crows Nest/North Sydney vicinity??? Even Maccas in Neutral Bay is not to bad. (20-25 mins for me, 30 from castle hill non m2)

be heaps good to get the 16xs together Very Happy
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon north sydney oportos, and i finish work after 5, so netime afta 6 and i'll b there, mate is a pizza guy so he wont b able to come
but ima up for it
neone wants to cruise with me from hornsby castle hill, that would b sweet as well
steve
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah shame he can't make it. Ok, Place = Opportos North Sydney (where exactly is that?). This Saturday What time? -- if this suits all that is

Andrew, I will bring the shifter with me.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u no where metro is rob ?, or the maccass at NS ?, and it looks like i wouldnt b gettin the rims this week, r we lookin at nyt time ?, i cant b there til 6/630
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah yeah, up that little street. I doubt there will be parking though? But yeah, no worries. 6.30 is fine with me!
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Mon, 11 August 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kool, kool, neone else wanna come, and have a look at my totally stocko's celies, Sad
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 12 August 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont worry, my celica has heaps of things wrong with it.
hey maybe we should organise this in the cruise section, and see if theres any other ST162-5 owners that wanna tag along?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 12 August 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah alright Scott you want to put a thread up? I gotta go to uni now Sad
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 12 August 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep no worries Smile
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 12 August 2003 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sco77y how much were ur rims and where did u get em ?
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Tue, 12 August 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They cost me $1600 with rubber, they were $1800 but i got them down $200, I got them from Tempe Tyres http://www.tempetyres.com.au
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Wed, 13 August 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is a quick look

http://groups.msn.com/FASCINATIONCRUISEPICS/miscpi cs.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=120

steve...

Edit: the pic i linked u guyz to has been photo-edited, lol, but the rims r real, and sc0-77y i give u a quick cheap way to give ur car that lowered look, leave the rims and tires u just took off in the bac, lol, works for me so far!

[Updated on: Thu, 21 August 2003 08:40]

SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 14 August 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha that looks mad! love those wheels too.

haha you should have seen my car leaving the tyre place, cause i had to put the old wheels in my car to take home, my new wheels were scraping the whole way home. Very Happy

so is that your car? same colour as mine Cool
"gt4rider"
Regular

December 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 14 August 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Mon, 11 August 2003 23:36

Andrew, I will bring the shifter with me.

Thanks Rob, I'm excited Very Happy , see all you guys there!
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 14 August 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah scotty man, same color, thats why i wanted to cruise with u, yeah mine is scrapin like a biatch, i had too big guyz and 5 tires and rims in my car, looks nice and low, am thinkin of leavin the rims in there thou, lol, but yeah, sco-77y u comin on fri ???
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 14 August 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking of getting the Galaxy rims:

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/sub_wheel.php?mw_i d=2

i want something that will stand out and look different. Would they look good or just no the car for those rims?
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Thu, 14 August 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey draza, i dunno man, i reckon they look like they should b on a low low hilux or sumfin, maybe if u got a st162 slammed on her ass it would look tyt
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 15 August 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh sorry man i reckon they would look pretty crap on a 162.

devil i cant make it this weekend, but dont worry i'll hook up with you guys real soon.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 15 August 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Devil i lowered my car a couple of inches in photoshop, i didnt slam it cause i wanted to see what its most likly to look like in real life when i get it done. Very Happy

http://24.174.192.243/sco-77k.jpg
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 29 August 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it's been months in the making, but I've finally installed my stereo!

Because I don't want to bore you or type too much, here's a quick rundown of what I've had to do:

* Cut holes in the parcel shelf to fit 6"x9" 3-way Pioneer speakers.
* Install 4" Pioneer 150W splits in the dash (where original pissy little speakers were).
* Mount tweeters on dash.
* Rip apart head unit, modify it to fit in space in dash (Thank God for Dremels).
* Pull dash out. Completely.
* Lots of rewiring.
* Put everything back together only to realise that head unit is now missing a bit and the face won't clip in!!
* Rip dash apart again.
* Pull head unit apart again.
* Install better speaker cable for the front splits.
* Create a new bit to replace now missing bit from head unit.
* Put everything back together again.

* Turn it up and go cruisin' Very Happy

In retrospect, it would have been better to just pay someone to put it all in, but I doubt anyone would have taken the time to mod the head unit etc..

Anyway, the end result it very good. I will probably put an amp in soon, but I'm not into all that boom boom, so no subs for me.

Anyone else with a ST162 had a similar experience?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 29 August 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude I can't believe you had to pull the DASH out!

Whoa... I don't know what was up to make that necessary, but there you go Sad Knowing what it took to replace my dash last week, that is not fun at all.

Well at least it is all in now huh... crusin' time! Smile congrats on the victory
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: '89 "White Lightning" Celica Fri, 29 August 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Good work man sounds good!

In my car i got:

1x head unit
2x4" (front)
2xtweeters (front dash)
2x 6x9" 3 ways in the parcel shelf
2x 10" subs (boot)
1x Amp (boot)

i'll tell you what, the dash in our car is a little bitch to work with. its like a maze trying to figure how to take everything apart and put it back together again. And i hate it when at the end of putting it all back together again, you have like 3 screws left over and you have know idea where they go.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae92 Corolla
Next Topic:got pics up of my 87 corolla FX16 (AE82)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:42:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010248899459839 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.