Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:00 Go to next message
Admit it or not... everyone likes to watch drifting! not many people can do it tho!

Few of us have started up a forum for drift enthuiests only. Theres a few of us on there atm and while it may seem like a bit of a AE86 dominated forum, we don't really care what car you drive.

Organised off street meets will be placed up, it is an Aust wide forum and we have bris, adel and sydney people on it so far.

I don't want any comments about Initial D, dori, Dorifto, l337 DriftA! or any of the usual crap.

For those who would like to know more. Please email me on dmhaw@winshop.com.au with details about yourself and your car.

I'm not going to post the URL up here because what we don't want is a HUGE forum with a lot of wannabe drifters and so on...
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even if you dont intend on using the forum, i'd like to hear from a few people who are acctually into and can drift.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2003 05:12]

gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My drifts are sometimes followed by loop outs, does that count? Laughing
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on if you have the ability to improve or not Razz Razz Razz

But yeah... fire me an email if your keen.
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well yes, I do want to improve, as slamming up onto peoples lawns isn't what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. Damn that was funny, I actually knew the people in that house as well, so me and my mate took off real quiet and went a back way Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2003 05:24]

garage86
Newcomer

May 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
australia needs to get serious about treating drift as a motorsport, thats what the forum is for, nothn else but!

computer literate or not, all drifters enthusiastic enough to see their sport succeed should post their details regardless whether they will use the forum or not...
get my drift??Smile

note that the screening process is only there to keep it serious, if your a drifter(and you know if you are) dont hesitate to forward your details to a member

and those who find this intimidating, rude, stupid, whatever...then just ignore it, for your not the ppl needed,ta
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garage86 wrote on Tue, 05 August 2003 15:30

australia needs to get serious about treating drift as a motorsport

thats like saying skids should be taken seriously as a cycling event
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a sport is it not?

its in a motorcar

so its a motorsport!

I believe demo darby is classed as a motor sport too in some parts of the world!
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 05 August 2003 15:00

I'm not going to post the URL up here because what we don't want is a HUGE forum with a lot of wannabe drifters and so on...

Get more ELITIST!!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not doubting how relevant its classification as a 'motorsport' is, im debating how 'seriously australia should take it'...

but this isnt the place for my dumbass comments, and i respect the fact that you want this thread to advertise your new forum... good luck Smile

'free bump'

cheers
ed

[edit] btw - i can drift (albiet not 'that' great) and i love the buzz of getting a corner nailed - i just think trying to 'get australia serious' about it is a bit of a joke.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2003 06:06]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
call me a newbie drift if you want but.

Is drifting only on dry road or can it be wet or both??? Confused

Cause if its wetness i've had plenty of drifting experience's

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sliding out of the apex of a corner in the wet in a 4m corona with acdc's *thunderstuck* blaring doesnt quite count i dont think...
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sliding????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

pffft dont you mean chearpin 1st..........2nd serious tail work and finally cherp 3rds. that has to be classed as some form of drifting

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha ed well said Smile drift is drift... doesnt matter if its dry, wet or gravel but most people will say its hardest and more challenging on dry tarmac.

Dont get me wrong ed.. i LOVE going through windy roads and staying stuck to the surface.. i wouldnt dream of trying to drift or get the arse out on a high speed corner on a mountain road.. we'll leave that for the crazy japs.

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Tue, 05 August 2003 16:11

sliding????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

pffft dont you mean chearpin 1st..........2nd serious tail work and finally cherp 3rds. that has to be classed as some form of drifting

lmao.. no

drift is using weight transfer and maintaining a slide before, during and after apex...

thats the simple run down of it
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dirt drift in summary:

-im driving straight down the road
-there's a corner
-snap!
-why am i pointing away from the corner?
-oh, there she goes
-...and goes
-wait, theres a tree
-im looking square at a tree
-im *still* looking square at a tree
-tree Tree TREE
-ahh the corner's finally here
-pull it, pull it in...
-power it, common bitch...
-shit
-SHIT
-ok...
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok settle down i told use im not mr dorifto

So if your coming to say a T junction what would you do there to drift ("properly") would you slap it back and do a compresion keeping the power down or give it a bit of a handbrakey keepin the ass end hanging out.

ed:sorry dude i take offence when someone knock the mighty 4m Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email sent.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E-mail sent..

I don't think there is anything wrong with Australia getting serious about it. The more motorsport events the better I think! It's very entertaining to watch! Just wish I was as skilled as some of the drivers i've seen doing it..

Cheers
Joel
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, i currently drive a 5m, i dont think im in any serious position to knock a 4m...

basically anything you can do to get the car 60-70 degrees to the curb, say 30m before the corner, rear wheels spinning, and front opposite locked (well, not locked, thatd be bad)... and hold it..

hold it long enough, and the car will creep forward into the apex of the corner, where you can then back off the lock, keep the power down, and pull through the corner...

then try and avoid tank slapping the thing on the way out...

ed

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll have to try that.

away from trees poles and msall children Laughing Laughing

anyone need anyspare parts for a corona i think the future holds some rear end pole damage Laughing
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrm i could drift my old 323, 4 wheel drift too none of this rear wheel only crap, takimi style with no opp lock heh. nah really i could break traction on all 4 wheels through a corner, it wasnt drifting however, i dont really know what it was, weird sensation tho when the front and the back are moving across the corner instead of through the corner.

i havent tried to drift my series 4 tho its got too much grip, you have to go scary fast to make it break traction, and i love it too much to ding it.

i would like the PM tho.

i hope there arnt alot of drift brats who use words like dori dori (i really hate that), and have played gran turismo once.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no... you send ME an email Wink
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 05 August 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get me a rwd car and I'll join Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Wed, 06 August 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 05 August 2003 16:20

dirt drift in summary:

-im driving straight down the road
-there's a corner
-snap!
-why am i pointing away from the corner?
-oh, there she goes
-...and goes
-wait, theres a tree
-im looking square at a tree
-im *still* looking square at a tree
-tree Tree TREE
-ahh the corner's finally here
-pull it, pull it in...
-power it, common bitch...
-shit
-SHIT
-ok...

You forgot the *twang* *twang* *twang* as you over compensate three times then finally let go of the steering wheel in fright and the car steers itself straight on its own lonesome. Laughing
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Wed, 06 August 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i experienced recently in a motorkana:

"lets see how quickly i can go from full lock left to full lock right whist pulling the hand break on and pushing the clutch in"

Very Happy

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Wed, 06 August 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and ....

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Wed, 06 August 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with a series 4, you have to go at super high speeds to break
traction I found. They are a pretty heavy car.

Don't think i"ll every try drifting on public roads in the RX7s. Only on circuits :)>

rock on.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Wed, 06 August 2003 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yojimbo wrote on Wed, 06 August 2003 18:56

and ....

well its the closest i've come to any full on drifting

as for drifting as a motorsport, i don't see how you could 'win' (unless it's like sumernats or something like that i've never been to one how do they judge a burnout?)

if you do it like every other motorsport, quickest time or beating other people, it would be faster to not drift, and if you took this route, ie. not drifting, would you get disqualified? or perhaps you got the corner wrong, and couldn't drift it, would you be disqualified? do you have lots of officals on every corner checking to make sure everyone drifts? doesn't really make much sence to me

my .02
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its the person who can hold the drift around the circuit the longest, a lot of the best drift drivers in Japan can link up every corner in a given circuit without every regaining traction!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i said,

its like a skid compettion at the tour de france
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its a great sport, it takes heaps of skill and a good setup to really do it well. You've gotta give it credit for the skill it takes to really do it properly.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can understand it take a fair amount of skill to do, but i wouldn't call a sport, as i wouldn't call doing a burnout a sport
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are still likening drifting to doing a burout, then you haven't seen proper drifting.

ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did'nt say they were the same thing, and i have seen several drift videos on the net, granted they both take some skill, i'm just saying that i personally wouldn't call either of them a sport.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then again i wouldn't call this a sport:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,48 37127%255E13762,00.html

and it is Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh, I'd have to regard that "test of endurance" as a sport, each to their own. Having said that, there is no less skill required to drifting than any other motorsport.

Put it in this perspective...aerial skiing. This is a sport (I'm assuming you would call it that, that entails the skiier performing manouvers and subjectively allocated a mark by a panel of judges. To me, this is no different than a real drift competition which is a show of skill in performing manouvers. Watching someone drift a whole circuit keeping the whole car sideways and without traction is something that deserves the same recognition as any other sports.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok... so whats Half pipe? Ski jump? etc etc

they are all judged on style

it takes skill to do it

same as drift really!
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 07 August 2003 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess the real question is would it be classed as:

1) motorsport, which traditionally means who is the fastest, or who comes first, or
2) not motorsport, but a sport that falls in the same catagory as the aerial skiing (as you say), where the winning factor is determined buy a panel of judges dependant on style

do you think cams would oversee it if it were in the second class? i'm not trying to be smart with this question, i just wonder who would govern it? perhaps it would be out on its own like drag racing or motorcyles

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 10 August 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is this gunna go ahead or what ?
I am still waiting for a reply to my email.

Matt

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 10 August 2003 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt

it already is going ahead, i have replied to all emails i have received

Did u get a reply from me? or maybe i didnt get yours?

Let me know
Simon

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Mon, 11 August 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry i dont mean to be pushy, you just got me all excited !!!

I will resend the email again this arvo.

Thanks

Matt

roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 12 August 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can some one explain to me the difference between drifting a car and rally driving?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Tue, 12 August 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dirt and tarmac?

but yes.. the skills needed are basically the same.

CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Thu, 14 August 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drifting can be fun but damn those gutters, they just keep jumping out at me, gotta be a bit more careful. Well as they say every dent is another lesson learnt Smile
JZK25
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Fri, 15 August 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rallying is still a 'point to point the fastest' type of motorsport, drifting isn't.
I agree that drifting is a highly skilled form of motorsport but I can't help but think it will have a further negative effect on our already socially unacceptable pastime of being a car enthusiast. What is tolerated in Japanese culture and on their roads and what is on ours are entirely different. If you think the police don't like you chirping your tyres at the lights, how do you think they are going take people broadsliding around corners at 80ks.
"We'll only do it at the track" I hear you say. What track? I reply. We can't even get Dragstrips built, let alone purpose built Drifting tracks. Any Litigation Lawyers on the forum please speak up! Mad Sad
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Fri, 15 August 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would industrial estates be too dangerous.
They have wide roads because of the semis that usually drive there.
On weekend nights they are usually pretty empty.
Very low volume traffic (Practicly non existant)
Plenty of them around, so not too dificult to get to.
Usually in a large ring type road, so no need for constant stopping and turning around.

Good idea or bad?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sat, 16 August 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad. FFS, of course it's bad! Rolling Eyes
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sat, 16 August 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 16 August 2003 11:53

Bad. FFS, of course it's bad! Rolling Eyes

Care to explain why?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 17 August 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole idea of drifting is to intentionally lose traction at relatively high speeds for extended periods. This means you are not fully in control of your vehicle; even if you're holding a perfect slide, you don't have many options if something unexpected happens (eg nutter like yourself coming the other way at high speed). What it comes down to is this: a public road is not a controlled environment, so it is no place to be throwing your car around in a semi-controlled fashion. Even industrial estates in the middle of the night - there's no guarantee they will be completely deserted all the time.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 17 August 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my thoughts exactly norbie

Drifting on public roads = YOUR A GODDAMN idjut ! Mad

Drifting on a controlled circuit = Cut loose have fun and be safe .. Razz

Why Street race when you can go to the drags for bugger all and get proof your car is a fulsic 10 sec machine ? same applies for drifting - you do this shit on public roads and your putting other road users at risk

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 17 August 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which is why we are trying to get something happening off the streets.

either way.. where drifting takes place isnt something what the forum is about.. what it IS about is people who are into it.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 17 August 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do industrial estates have that all public roads have? streetsigns/powerposts/streetlights

what happens when you lose control of your car and you slide off the roadside? you CRASH

when you crash why do you do? CRY because your price and joy is now dented and fucked

thats why i detest industrial estates
it makes it no "safer" IMHO

[Updated on: Sun, 17 August 2003 15:54]

ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Drifting forum.. read on Sun, 17 August 2003 23:39 Go to previous message
why don't any of you guys interested in doing this just join a motorsport car club? if you go to a sprint day at say calder park (if you still can, lost track licence?), each car goes out 1/3 of the track apart so you don't crash into anyone, and if you wanted to drift a bit, it just means you'll be a bit slower, i don't think the officals are going to mind.

you will have a ball, be in a controlled environment, and totally legal!!

ps. if you say costs to much here is the lowdown on what i pay:

~$90 yearly car club membership
~$90 yearly CAMS 2S (level 2 speed) licence (only pay, no test required)
entry fee to each event

(of course you have to get your car to pass scrutineering, but if that is done once, nothing much needs to be done each other time)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Got my yellow sticker off :)
Next Topic:HOW MUCH TO PAY FOR TA22.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 15:40:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080249309539795 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.