Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon10.gif  2t/3t hybrid Fri, 08 August 2003 05:11 Go to next message
hi guys, i know wat ur all thinking not another thread on this engine. Anyway ive done research on the engine and such and in the threads there seems to be no information concerning which 2tg head is best to use for the hybrid. more than likely this is becuase there hasnt been an engine built using all the different heads. anyway which 2tg head would be best to use theoredically that is? im thinking that it wouldnt make a difference.
well heres info on wat i will be using, a 3t-c block, mild cams (not sure totally as yet), last version 2t-geu efi, megasquirt comp, t-50 gearbox. im just wondering which head u would think would be best, cause im gonna b looking at an engine 2morow.
thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 2t/3t hybrid Fri, 08 August 2003 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have only seen a couple of head versions, of which I think the 88261 offers the superior combustion chamber. It effectively creates more squish around the inlet valve side which in turn creates high turbulence (better fuel air mixing) and promotes a better combustion.

Speaking with the previous owner of the engine - they said the engine went much better with the 88261 head as opposed to the 88222 head. (personal opinion)

I am sure that other toymodders may have varying opinions.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 August 2003 14:46]

Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: 2t/3t hybrid Fri, 08 August 2003 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thnks for the reply earlyrolla, i was thinking the later heads were better for this, i was thinking of using the 88260 to 88262 heads
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2t/3t hybrid Sat, 09 August 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pheonix,

I assume you are building a Naturally aspirated engine.

That being the case the 88222 - 88262 heads all use the same valves. The 88262 head tho was subjected to high emissions regulations and has an offset combustion chamber greatly reducinbg the amount of compression possible and your piston choices.

The 88260 and 88261 heads were generally EFI. The later is supposed to be slightly stronger due to an increase in the head webbing. Either the 88261 or 88260 head will be fine tho.

Earlyrolla,

I am not aware of any differences in combustion chamber between the 88222 and the 22260 or 88261 ? BUT I haven't looked either. I own both heads tho so if your curious I can grab em both so we can have a look. The 88262 on the other hand is VERY different.

If anyone has one of these heads (the 88262 head has no number on the casting) I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one so I can check a few things out.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 2t/3t hybrid Sat, 09 August 2003 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mistake, it was a 88260 head not a 88261 head. Went outside and had a look today.

BTW the motor was/is a 2TG with a T04.

Rod, I had a look at both the 88222 and 88260 heads (because thats all I have) and they have defintely got different combustion chambers. The 88260 has a slightly smaller combustion chamber due the extra 'meat' around the inlet valve. As I said before, I would say this is to increase squish (creating more turbulence) around the intake valve for a more homogeneous combustion mixture. As for power difference, I have no idea.

Rod, if you do get hold of a 88262 head, you will have to tell us (show us?) all the difference - sounds interesting.

Cheers,
Tyron.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2003 09:08]

xxaccoxx
Regular

April 2003
Re: 2t/3t hybrid Sun, 10 August 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine sez 11321 88221
this is a earlier series?
this is better?
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon9.gif  Re: 2t/3t hybrid Mon, 11 August 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, thnks for the info, well the engine i had a look at was a 88260 head, but it has been used with carbies and doesnt have the EU thermostat housing with the 2 sender units and cold start controller. the engine also has the GEU inspection plate and a points dizzy. now with all this im leaning towards that this head is the 2T-G version of the 88260. now are there any differences between the carbie and EFI heads, such as cams, timing anything really, and also how much do u think it would cost me to get the proper thermostat and dizzy if it is in fact a GEU head.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 12:54]

earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 2t/3t hybrid Tue, 12 August 2003 05:51 Go to previous message
Have a read:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jar1/

thetoyman75 would be a better to answer the cam one.

From what I have read, the 88222 head have the better cam profile. So maybe a combination on 88222 cams and the 88260 head? If you have the money, why not have the cams reground specifically to suit your engine. I assume Wa is somewhere here in Western Australia? I have been recommended these guys:
http://www.camshafteng.com.au/
for cam work. I haven't got to that stage yet though.

Shouldnt cost much for the thermostat housing and dizzy.

Guess, $40 for housing, $100 for dizzy...

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what didnt work after your gze conversion??
Next Topic:Lightened flywheels
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:22:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052571296691895 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.