Toymods » Tech & Conversions » My ST162 nearly stalls when cold

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
icon9.gif  My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 03:34 Go to next message
Hi guys,

Not sure what's causing this, so I'm asking your advice.

When I start my Celica for the first time that day the auto choke kicks in and it revs just over 1000 to warm up the engine. Once the choke comes off, the revs return to normal and all seems fine.

Then when I start to drive off, if I keep the revs low (normal) it almost stalls.. I really have to give it some revs (more than seems reasonable). It's kind of a sudden "dive" in power.. hard to really explain.

Once I'm moving it seems like the car has cleared it's throat and goes along on it's merry way.

This only happen the first time you start the car - no matter if it's winter or summer.

Any ideas? Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm mine takes a bit to kick her over in the cold mornings, but thats just normal for a 14-18 year old car.
As for it reving heaps low and seem like its gonna stall even when you've started driving, i would say its idling too low.
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carbies tend to have a flat spot till the air and fuel catches up when you nail it, warm or cold. Cold it's a lot more noticeable.

SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A ST162 isn't a carbie!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm do they have an Air Bypass Valve (ABV) ?
Its a little air valve to divert more air to the engine when its cold.

Cheers
Wilbo
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

When I start my Celica for the first time that day the auto choke kicks in

So does he mean the cold start or 5th injector?
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Mark, what are you asking?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah my 162 does (or did) that when you start it first time it would rev at a bit over 1000 until it has warmed up then idle at about 650, but every now and then after moving when it would be left to idle the revs would drop to about 450 - 500 and would run real rough, but when you start going again it went normal.

after a bit of looking at that I actually linked that drop in revs to whenever my thermo fans kicked in.
-------------------------------
If thats not what your talking about I also had this problem.
-------------------------------
After leaving the car overnight the next morning after it's warmed up and you go to drive off and put the foot on the accelorator, there is nothing the revs drop but not stall for a couple of seconds, and suddenly the power spikes and you get a boost of acceleration.

that was put down to my injectos were a bit clogged (a bit of injector cleaner fixed that) BUT mostly was the flap on the Mass Air Flow sensor inside the airbox was getting caught so it wasn't opening properly.

Hope this helps a bit.
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, I was asking if the auto choke (which I associate with carbies) is the your 5th injector, or cold start injector.

My corona has 5 injectors, the 5th on sits on the other side of the plenum so when it's cold, it dumps some extra fuel in.

If you wind your air flow sensor forward to clicks, it should fix this, injects a little more fuel all the time. Good for a bit better high end performance (well, on the 22RE anyway).

I live in Canberra where is freezing cold 6 months of the year. One way to bandaid it is to start it 10 mins before you actually get in. I have to get the heater warmed up and melt all the ice off the window.

No drop in revs when it's toasty warm Smile
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: My ST162 nearly stalls when cold Fri, 08 August 2003 22:48 Go to previous message
Great advice guys. Thanks so much.

Wiso, I'll look into all of the above this weekend. Thamsn man.

Cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Split radiator
Next Topic:1G-GTE Twin Turbo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 12:25:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055699348449707 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.