Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Split radiator Fri, 08 August 2003 02:29 Go to next message

For the sake of thoery, MA61 + engine conversion requires intercooler, everyone know there is not much to bugger all space to mount a nice sized IC.

What are the possibilities of mounting 2 smaller radiators beside the IC and connect them with a pipe running behind the IC.. Obviously for one the pressure needed to shift the fluids between radiators will have to be increased... correct ? Other than that I cant see why a split wouldnt work.. Rolling Eyes

My idea came from a recent HPI issue that had a (Zero Stage?) drift car with a boot mounted radiator... they didnt have details, but my guess would be some sort of pump to move fluids that far.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Split radiator Fri, 08 August 2003 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you kidding? The MA61 has an enormous amount of space for an intercooler! Look at the size of the IC I'm using:

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/intercooler/medium_BigCooler10.jpg
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Split radiator Fri, 08 August 2003 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I imagine the trouble comes went you want BIG intercooler, oil cooler, power steering cooler, trans cooler, and radiator. Not so much an issue of space but channelling adequate airflow to all these.

Norbie: that FMIC is pretty damn impressive! Any idea what the total weight came to? Is it significantly heavier than single factory style coolers? And black looks better too!

- Justin
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Split radiator Fri, 08 August 2003 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big intercooler? How big do you want? That thing is enormous (6" thick), and there's still room to spare! I also have a triple-core radiator and an aircon heat exchanger, and there's room left for an oil cooler and a P/S cooler of either side of the IC.

My IC weighs exactly twice that of a factory cooler, since it's constructed from two JZA80 IC cores. Smile
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Split radiator Fri, 08 August 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can i ask how did you address the issue of channeling air to your cold air intake ? My radiator streches from one head light to the other and i have absolutely no way of piping air unless the grinder comes out... I think i will wait till i have an engine worth the hassesls........

But in all seriousness... did you IC fit infront of an unmodified radiator, ie. does in tuck nicely and snug into the front bar...

<- Am still at a loss at how you got that damn 6inch wedge in there.... not to mention having a 2jz as well ... the mind boggles... Sad
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: Split radiator Fri, 08 August 2003 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about mounting the battery in the boot and relocating the washer resevoir.

Drill and grind out a hole to run piping down wher the battery used to sit, and through where the water resevoir sat.

Or am I thinking of the wrong engine bay?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Split radiator Sat, 09 August 2003 01:13 Go to previous message
There are some pics here which explain it nicely:
http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/Phase12.htm

The pipe from the turbo goes through the inner guard on the drivers side, then under the radiator support panel and into the intercooler. From there it goes through a hole in the top of the radiator support panel, right next to the radiator itself, and directly into the throttle body. If you don't like the idea of chopping holes there it's also possible to run the pipe through the inner guard like I did on the other side, but you have to relocate the battery to do that.

The radiator is unmodified apart from its extra thick core and uses the factory mounting points. The factory aircon core is also in its factory location. All I did was remove the centre support strut which joins the bonnet latch bracket to the bumper and the bottom of the radiator support panel. Once that's out of the way you have heaps of room, and a 6" thick core is no problem at all.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wrird knocking/ticking noise
Next Topic:My ST162 nearly stalls when cold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:29:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005363941192627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.