Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Current shape Supra Aerotop Sun, 10 August 2003 08:45 Go to next message
Does anyone here have one of these ? What are the goods and bads about these cars ?

Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Sun, 10 August 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad thing... they only come in automatic.
If you want a manual, you have to do without the aerotop.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You serious? So if you see an aerotop Supra that is manual, it has had a conversion done on it? I seem to remember seeing quite a few that were manual.... Sad
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure most of the MARK III or all of them were auto but MARK IV ?!?!?

NO!!!!!!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All twin turbo aerotops are automatic. You can get manual aerotops, but with the NA engine only. Methinks Mr Toyota had limited confidence in the torsional rigidity of the aerotop body...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry my bad - i meant the n/a ones - thanks for clearing up norbie....

hence there was a flaw in F&F the movie... the 2jz that paul walker drives was an aerotop !!!! Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A flaw in F&F? Surely not! Razz
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldtn' sleep last night so decided to put on F&F, was quite strange actually cos it didnt' take long for my to doze off Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or perhaps when he points to the '2 j zee' its just a 2jzge in the burnt out wreck that is meant to run 10 sec passes. Laughing
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, the best bit is where they show the contents of the new engine set-up, containing 2 intercoolers, 2 sets of spaghetti exhaust manifolds, and 2 pod filters and 1 turbo. Pardon my ignorance, but they must be completely stupid to think that we wouldn't pick it all up. I mean the audience is meant for us "car freaks", so you'd think they'd pay particular attention to car details.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 07:26]

Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Mon, 11 August 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When the Supra was used in the movie, it WAS an automatic, although they never show it. I believe it was converted to manual after the movie though. Weird-o-rama.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
normally I wouldn't pick at the movie, but as sbyder said, it's aimed at us car freaks.
I wonder how many people groaned when he talks about the "motec exhaust system).

and I know I cringed when straight after the rebuild, just as they take it out for it's first test drive on forged internals, the first thing he does is redline first all the way up the street.

then after dragging the ferrari, he pulls over and turns the engine off cold. that man doesn't deserve that car!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHAHAH You nit pickers !!!

and did u notice that the 200sx had a vtec sticker on it ? Very Happy

has anyone here imported their own car b4 that i can speak to ?

All the import joints are prety tight on the information they give out !
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wanting to buy out of a car yard importer, or private improter>?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speak to Rigo about self importing a car.

Can you import a MKIV yet though? Didn't think its old enough?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hell yes you can!

I'm pretty sure we never got the supra as a commercial quantity vehicle, so can import it even though it's less than 15 years old
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRAVEN - is there anyone u can recommend ? Private or Yard I am easy...

SO LONG as they are reputable and you guys can vouch for them (as being reputable)

BLACK SUPRA - Who is this rigo ?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.prestigemotorsport.com.au

they got my car and i am extremley happy with it and its condition. the service place (rx7 specalist) said it was the second best condition import theyd ever seen

my friend imported a car through them too and same deal the car was in good condition.

give geoff a call he is very helpfull
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Lang!

Can you tell me all the costs involved in getting an import though ?

I got these so far

Actual cost of car
Compliance (new tyres??)
Stamp duty
Rego
Greenslip
Comprehensive

... what else ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeahm, I was gonna recommend geoff too.

not the cheapest around, but almost all the cars that come through him are in good condition.

if you look at the prestige motorsport website, he actually quotes the prices of the car including compliancing and a few other things, so it'll be like "approx $24000 + stamp duty and govt charges" or some such.

make sure you have some money for any incidental repairs (damage done in transif, or greedy/clumsy wharfies)
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a mate awaiting delivery on a 300ZX TT from prestige motorsport. theyre holding until january so it it qualifies for the 15 year rule.

i have heard nothing but praise about them from him. so i'd have to recommend them.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Tue, 12 August 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and something else I just noticed
when he drags the ferrari, there's no lsd in his car! he lights up one tire only
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, seems liek they are on holidays... ned to wait til the 14th.

Any other reccomendations fellas ? Cool
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must say that im a huge fan of the F&F but there are alot of faults with it. Im suprised none of you noticed that when chasing the truck in the end part and he is about to jump onto the bonnet of the truck, if you look closley when they show differant angels of the civic especially through the back window, in some shots there is no t-bar across the rear wing and sometimes there is. Just 1 of many I could point out as I have seen in over 25 times.

Anyway with the importing, SUPRAMAN might be ideal to get in contact with, I think he goes through Japimports and his supra that he importes is in imaculate condition.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, the 14th is tomorrow Razz
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As in 'RiGo' from these forums.

Posted pics of his self imported MKIII Supra Turbo A a few weeks back.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah SUPRAMAN would be the go, ive seen two of the cars he has brought in and they were in great condition
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
News flash

How quick are these supras ??

I was playing gran turismo (cough cough !!!) and the NA supras did the qtr mile in like 15 seconds !!!??? and 0-100 in like 7-8 seconds ?!?!?!

Is there an element of truth to these figures ?!?!?

(btw these figures are similar to a 300ZX TT and a r32 gtst)

BUT THE RENAULT CLIO SPORT BLITZED ALL THOSE CARS !!!???

dargh - dissapointed.. please tell me these figures are flawed.. i dont want a N/A supra no more... Nope

are they at least quicker than SS commonwhores ?

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Wed, 13 August 2003 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm Les what were u expecting from a 1500kg car powered by an N/A 3litre? 7 seconds 0-100 sounds like a good figure to me for a naturally asthmatic Razz engine pushing that weight.

ive driven an N/A JZA80 and i have to say the 2JZ-GE still makes the car fun to drive, and the handling is ohh so sweet.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Factory Figures

2JZGTE 14.2
2JZGE 14.8

have fun pulling them off thou.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then rexies would prolly rip the N/A them true ??

(im suprised no one has made fun of the fact my figures are from Gran Turismo !! hahahaha )
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA80 Supra

Power: 168kw @ 6000rpm
Torque: 290nm @ 4800rpm
Weight: 1430-1470kg (depending on options)

MY03? WRX (the new one)

Power: 168kw @ 6000rpm
Torque: 300nm @ 3600rpm
Weight: 1395kg
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look can someone just tell me that they are a quick enough car and stop bitching and buy one already ??!! Laughing

Looks like they are almost as quick as a MY03 Rex then ? Nothing to be ashamed of at all then.

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stop bitching and buy one already

make sure u trade in the lancer Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I intend TO biatch !!!!!!

I will sell to a young niave ricer wannabe !! haha

BUT STILL those Gran Turismo figures really dissapointed me - do u think they will outrun SS commodores ? prolly not ey ?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New VY SS

Power: 245kw @ 5200rpm
Torque: 470nm @ 4400rpm
Weight: 1658kg

And that is a dry weight if i remember correctly, so more like 1700kg kerb weight, makes it a phat biznitch.

Older ones with 225kw id say yes, don't know about this one.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where the fck u pulling these figures out from man !?!?!

haha give up ur source !
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.subaru.com.au
http://www.holden.com.au
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 03:08]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkiv NA 2jzge is a FAST car

not ground-breakingly *crazy* fast, but fast enough, and they HANDLE

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the sites blacksupra

and thanks ED !! Thats all the confirmation I need !!

Fast cars get wrapped round poles anyway... (i found out the hard way)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What car have you wrapped around a pole?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon13.gif  Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a 1ggte ra65 celica (similar to narks) ... not a heap of damage done on mine, but wrote the other car off (old bomb of a pulsar!!)

but yes.. i have learnt, that the streets are not for drifting.. i promise.. no more silly things like that Rolling Eyes
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha i went round once 270 degrees in the wet when i was actually driving sedately, as i do whenever it rains, but i was caught out by the camber when i turned into the street.

But into a tree is just plain silly Razz
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty scary shiit.... !

someone just told me a MIVEC FTO is quicker than a na supra.. someone tell me thats NOT true....
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive just been shot down.. a fto is quicker.. wont be getting the na supra no more dammit !!!!!!!!!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supra is such a better car though.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stop looking at the numbers and start test-driving cars. Who cares how many kilowatts, newton-metres or warp-factors a car is capable of if you don't like it? Drive the cars and buy the one you like the most (and can afford). Simple.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im interested in buying a 2jzgte ma61, ive looked at the numbers on paper but i think i really need to have a test drive. Is that ok? Razz
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 16:38

Stop looking at the numbers and start test-driving cars. Who cares how many kilowatts, newton-metres or warp-factors a car is capable of if you don't like it? Drive the cars and buy the one you like the most (and can afford). Simple.

hard to find the time to do so bro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but u know what i mean ... ive got a rice car (now) and although i love it, it does not go...

i am not gonna buy a car (that looks good) but does not have the balls to back it up... i.e. na supra - although it looks a fckload better than almost all the cars on the road.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So drive one! How are you going to know if it has enough "balls" unless you actually get behind the wheel? Looking at a power figure on paper isn't going to tell you dick.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too true norbie ...

where is the best place to get a test drive for imports ? are places generally tight with test drives... do i need to wear a suit etc ?

Parramatta road would be a good place to start yeh ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
parra road has lots of places.

*lots*
not suit and tie, but not boardies and a t-shirt either.

most places will just take a photocopy of yoru lisence. that all I needed when I test drove a TT 300zx Smile
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I struggled to get to test drive a .. sirion once hahah !!

i was in boardies
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's not the problem
the problem is that you wanted to test drive one

I test drove a lancer once (for a girl who wanted to know if it was a good buy)

when I started talking the guy down, he looked over at my car and said "I can only agree to that price if you're not trading in"

I was tempted to leave blackies all over his carpark to show him how much my car was worth, but instead nodded and got $3k off the price
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Thu, 14 August 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i only drove it as a test drive for my... ah.. mum Very Happy
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Fri, 15 August 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmmm.....

I have been a member of prestigemotorsport for a while now. Here is what I have found out.

You CANNOT import cars newer than the 15 years rule unless they are totally stock standard. Seeing as I havent seen a stock standard car yet, it would cost you a fair bit of money to bring it back that way. It would seem that it is more worth your while looking on http://www.autotrader.com.au for a nice local one. There are quite a few out there. You just have to be willing to travel interstate if you need to.

The MkIII Supras are coming up to the 15 years as from the 1st Jan 2004. You are looking at around the $9000 mark for a nice one of those with about another $1000 to spend for Australian compliance. Not bad really.

As for Supra Aerotops, turbo's etc, I have actually seen a couple of the manual aerotops around. Dont know if they had the conversion done, but they are out there. Once again, you just have to look around and be willing to travel.

Cheers.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Fri, 15 August 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 20:53

where is the best place to get a test drive for imports ? are places generally tight with test drives... do i need to wear a suit etc ?

I actually had a lot of trouble getting a test drive. Most places would only give me one if I basically said I was going to buy there car. Mad Most annoying.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Fri, 15 August 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was able to test drive a few Soarers at Big Boyz Toyz when I was looking for my car. They just wanted a photocopy of my licence, and were only too happy to let me drive the ones I wanted to. They sell Supras, so they might be worth a try if you want to test drive one.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Current shape Supra Aerotop Fri, 15 August 2003 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
all depends on the place
a lot of places are pretty good about it, especially if you seem enthuiasytic, not just a window shopper.

others are really really tentative about giving 20yos test drives in their 300bhp sports cars
wonder why? Smile
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:K-Mac sellers in VIC??
Next Topic:bodykit choice??????ae92!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:12:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097520351409912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.