Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 03:00 Go to next message
Hey guys,

When I put my foot down (especially in 1st) my poor Celica starts jumping around like I'm a learner burner again.

I can reduce the hopping by riding the clutch a little when taking off from a standing stop. However, even in 2nd and 3rd if I put my foot down (I'm not talking about planting it), the car bunny hops a little.

My mate thought if felt like one of the engine mounts was stuffed, but I disagree. It's more like something to do with the fuel system, but I'm no expert.

Have you ever heard of or experienced this yourself? Please offer your advice.

To make things worse, rego is due next week. Crying or Very Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had sort of the same problem with my 162 ....it would jump and carry on a little then after a few days it got that bad that the car was undrivable.....it would idle fine but when u put ur foot on it the car would nearly stall.....it turned out the be the fuel pump.....which cost me $450 to replace $250 for the pump and the rest for labour....the guy had to take the whole fuel tank out and drain it then put the new pump in.....hope this helps....

p.s there was a test that he done that shows wether the pump is rooted or no u should take it somewhere and get it done
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thansk Skinnypoo, that's good info - but not what I wanted to hear! Why do these things happen when your rego is due?

I'll give my mechanic a call..
Skinnypoo
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahaha my distributor and fuel pump and alternator and rear right tire all stuffed up at the same time. over the last few months my car has cost me about $650 and my rego and insurance are also due very very soon
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a great feeling isn't it?!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be a cracked pressure plate on the clutch.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm.. check the simple things first? When I got my st162 it was doing exactly that, cause; the hose from the airbox to the intake manifold was ripped, you might wanna check that? Smile
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... you've got me thinking now charliechalk, the hose from my filter box to the T-VIS is actually stuffed, but I thought I'd gaffed it up pretty good.

Can you please explain in more detail the problem you had when your hose was stuffed? (that really doesn't sound right!) Shocked

I'll source a new hose ASAP.

Thanks heaps.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good point charlie. that would be a simple fix and an appropriate symptom.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Jaxe,

I just replaced that hose on my ST162.
You can only buy them from Toyota, cost around $145.

I tried getting some other brand but because it is a strange size, no go. 65mm to 80mm.

Therefore had to buy Genuine Parts "keep the feeling" and all that shi#.

Cheers
T.
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Mon, 11 August 2003 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did it fix your problem?

It's easy to do your fuel pump as well. Walboro is a good brand.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Tue, 12 August 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine does the same just in 1st when taking off, have to ride the clutch heaps. i only found the crack in the intake hoes when i got my clutch re placed. i'll get a full aftermarket one (metal pipe with silcon concentions and cold air box around my k&n pod.]

Nezza Cool
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Tue, 12 August 2003 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't had a chance to fix it yet, but I'm gonna start with the hose. Sounds like a very possible culprit.

I rang around a few places (including Celica Spares), but no one had a spare. According to FWDCelica they're $145 new! Fruck that.. I checked out www.findapart.com.au and a couple of hours later some guy contacted me saying he had one. You guys should check out the site. I'll let you know if I get a decent hose.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted. Chris

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2003 13:41]

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Tue, 12 August 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate has the same problem with his 4ac, mechanic wreckons its the dizzy
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Wed, 13 August 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz_Craig, I'm new to most of this.. so what's a dizzy? Confused
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Wed, 13 August 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry jaxe, its a distributer, follow the leads from ya spark plugs, try taking the cap off and cleaning the 4 contacts in it. also clean the rotar make it nice and shinny Smile so contact is better

hope this helps
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Wed, 13 August 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks OZ_Craig,
I'll add that to my new vocabulary.
I'll give it a good clean tonight and see if it improves things.
Cheers mate.
Jaxe
Regular

July 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Wed, 13 August 2003 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome news everyone!
I've fixed the problem.. it seems that the dodgy hose from the air filter box to the T-VIS was the culprit. I just took it off, taped it up good and put it back on and voila! I have a nice smooth ST162 again.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys.. appreciate it.

Cheers, Chris
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Wed, 13 August 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well thats good news.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 bunny hops when I put my foot down! Thu, 14 August 2003 04:10 Go to previous message
ok i have a hose, i think it is the air hose, it came out of my ST162. Since the engine is nolonger in the car i don't know if it is the right 1. The measurements at each end are aprox: 65mm and 80mm. The number on the side is 17881-74160. PM me.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How much does a RA28 weigh?
Next Topic:Original TA22 to get a 2TG!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:47:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051088333129883 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.