Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Ceramic coating performance??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
icon4.gif  Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 10:06 Go to next message
Hi all,
I recently got my exhasut manifold and dump pipe cermaic coated. I went for the black as it holds the most heat.
I was surprised to find that the coating is quite soft when I got it back, I always assumed it would be a very hard finish. In fact, it can be sanded off pretty easily.
Should this be the case?? Have I been ripped off?
It is a flat black colour that looks like high temp paint. despite this, they assure me it will reduce temps by about 25 to 30%.
Anyone else had this experience?

I haven't got it back on the road yet, so I can't test the heat reduction myself.

Thanks,
Simon

Send a private message to this user    
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it dont sound to good Confused
(free bump)
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I was surprised to find that the coating is quite soft when I got it back, I always assumed it would be a very hard finish. In fact, it can be sanded off pretty easily

Usually the ceramic coatings (From HPC anyway) are really tough. Some have been known to crack & peel from exhaust manifolds from extreme heat, and having seen one like this I can tell you that the external coating is quite thick, definately not just like a coating of paint.... I really hope you got the real deal!! Sad Shocked

Phil
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I've got black HPC on my exhaust bits, and you can't shift it with an angle grinder Twisted Evil
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, well it seems that I've been ripped off and I'll have to do it again.
Anyone got the number of someone who does the real thing??

Simon
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much did you pay for it in the first place?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Sun, 10 August 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i use to get all the aircraft bits done with HPC it was as hard as all shit sounds like someone has just painted it with hi-temp paint.
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Mon, 11 August 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go back to the people who did it the first time and give them a big slap on the head and demand a refund.
kirkosaurus
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Mon, 11 August 2003 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a spray on ceramic coating from JGS http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/. It was tacky until it was cured from the heat of running it on the car
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Ceramic coating performance?? Mon, 11 August 2003 06:58 Go to previous message
well it looks like I've been done over on this one. Buyers beware!!!
I called HPC in Victoria today. I did get a coating that will withstand extreme temps, it just wont do much to keep the under bonnet temps. damm!!! I don't get ripped off much, but they got me on this one.
I'll see how it goes and then maybe get it done properly later. basically cost me $300 for high temp paint for my manifold, turbo snail and dump pipe.

simon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jobs in brisbane
Next Topic:Just got a 2nd generation celica...some newbie questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:39:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048389434814453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.