Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Boosting 1G-GTE Wed, 06 August 2003 13:30 Go to next message
believe it or not!
I own a Toyota Chaser GX81 With 1G-GTE 3rd gen.
Recently i crunked up the boost by simply removing the Acuator hoses. That gave an incredible kick.I hit the 20psi mark before mycheck light cam on,reading from my autometer boost Guauge. The car spun its wheels on a straight at 140km/h. Incredible huh? I recently converted to a single turbo set up but there was that lag!!!!!
So now I am going bacck to twin

1.I would really like to know from someone who knows how much boost can the CT12 handle all day everyday without problems.

2.I would like to know if a "y" pipe can be made to separate the exhaust ends of the turbos before the downpipe?

3.Can I change my ecu top that of a GA70 Supra for more kick?

4.Oh by the way how can bigger injectors help say those of a &m-GTE

For those who are wondering the reason why the car is capable of hiting all that boost before the check light is because of the aftermarket Boost sensor from FET and ECU upgrade.

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Wed, 06 August 2003 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

my ct12's blew up on 10psi but they were pretty old. THey are only small and ceramic though so i think 20psi is way too much.

I don't see why you couldn't do twin dumps on the 1g.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Wed, 06 August 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1. I wouldn't go too far past 14psi...
  2. Yep.
  3. You sure that the ECUs are different?
  4. If the engine needs the extra fuel, sure. But you'll probably suffer worse drivability. Do you know whether the injectors fit in the first place?!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Wed, 06 August 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The CT12's themselves aren't ceramic are they? I was under the assumption that only the CT12A's from the 1JZGTE and the CT12B's from the 2JZGTE were ceramic.
Quite a few people have/are running them at 14-15psi all day, every day.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Wed, 06 August 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK, they're not ceramic. CT12As are though. Not sure about CT12Bs.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Wed, 06 August 2003 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jap-Spec CT12B's are and US-Spec have steel wheels.
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 08 August 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So i can run it up to 14.5 psi why not 15psi? 0.5 psi should not be so hard.
Secondly I have tried connecting the 7m-get injectors and the fit perfectly into the connectors not sure about that fuel rail.

I think the supra's ECU should be a bit more aggressive than that of the Chaser because We compared the two cars and the Supra has a quicker take off and it is much heavier than my car.

could the differential have something to do with that as well. or the Transmission.
The Bruster
Regular

August 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 08 August 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the CT-12s are defo ceramic... I looked yesterday when trying to take them off!!!
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 08 August 2003 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the CT12 are Steel turbines and the CT12A are ceramic
the Ct12 are a bit stronger
The Bruster
Regular

August 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 08 August 2003 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but not strong enough Sad Sad Sad

aw well can;t really grumble.. they were 15 years old!!!
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 08 August 2003 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see the point in upgrading the dump pipe.

Single Big Turbo is better in my humble opinion. You only have lag if you don't launch well (if it's set up with the right size turbo IE not T88 or something insane)

1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 08 August 2003 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I plan to just keep my twins and make a good intercooler suing mercedes benz Truck intercooler Cores.I think that will run at 14psi. i will make the Y pipe also ad just stick with that programme and see what happens
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Sat, 09 August 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Truck intercoolers aren't the best IMHO.
I'd can a GT-R front mount if you can afford one.

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Sat, 09 August 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTEFreAk wrote on Fri, 08 August 2003 22:41

because you will hit boost cut unless it's a hot day, and on hot days you dont wanna be nailing it anyway.

1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Sun, 10 August 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why are truck intercooler cores a bad choice?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trucks flow a LOT of air. Cars don't.

Truck intercoolers are designed for truck engines, not car engines. They're not as efficient, but flow well....
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

its not the psi thats important, rather its the rpm that the spindle has to run at to produce pressure outside of its band. 0.5psi can mean an awfully big difference in shaft spedd, which is bad hmmkhay

Secondly I have tried connecting the 7m-get injectors and the fit perfectly into the connectors not sure about that fuel rail.

larger injectors are only good if you hav a tuneable ecu with which to recalibrate the fuel maps. otherwise the engine will just drown

I think the supra's ECU should be a bit more aggressive than that of the Chaser because We compared the two cars and the Supra has a quicker take off and it is much heavier than my car.

maybe the supra's engine is in better condition, there are plenty of other factors besides the ECU's...

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 05:23]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

could the differential have something to do with that as well. or the Transmission.

Were they both manual?
The manual ECU is tuned more agressively than the auto one, but don't know if there's a difference between car models....

There are plenty of factors that could be the difference between the two cars. You can't just assume that it's the ECU.
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTEFreAk:
Do you have any pics of the single turbo conversion?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
commone ed give him a break! he is only asking a few questions, im sure all, there is only one way to learn!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok ok....

jeeze.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's true,Trucks need more air doesn't have to be as cool.i got this Idea from a guy who is running an 1997 RX-7 Type RS. Anyhow, I heard that the lancer evolution & upwards have a good front mount,I will have to find me one.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont see a prob with truck cores.. but you need to run a huge one... as they arent restrictive.. but dont transfer much heat.. so if you have a big one they should work ok.. but a more efficient core would do the same job.. taking up less space.
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Mon, 11 August 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which Toyota has the best diff for an Automatic transmission on a 1G-GTE
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Tue, 12 August 2003 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't forget that you will have to fill a huge IC before you see any boost at the manifold. You will always be better off with a smaller efficient IC than a dirty great big inefficient truck cooler.

But if you like the idea of lag, go right ahead.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Tue, 12 August 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Lancer Evolution ones are a good bet. I was looking at them before. In the end I purchased a 550x250x57mm (core size) tube and fin intercooler. Perfect size for my car...*just* fits between the bumper supports.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Tue, 12 August 2003 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 10:21

don't forget that you will have to fill a huge IC before you see any boost at the manifold. You will always be better off with a smaller efficient IC than a dirty great big inefficient truck cooler.

But if you like the idea of lag, go right ahead.

I often hear this argument, but personal experience has shown it's not a significant issue. My own intercooler has a huge internal volume, but there's no way you could call my car laggy when I'm hitting 5psi before 2000rpm!

A friend of mine has a cut-down truck cooler in his VL turbo, and it's one of the biggest coolers I've seen in a VL (he actually had to hack off the end of the chassis rails to make it fit), but once again he doesn't have any lag issues at all - in fact his engine gets on boost almost as quickly as mine. This is with the stock turbo and management BTW.

It could be said that the relatively small turbos and relatively large engine capacity is what makes the difference in the above examples, and while that may be true I think the point remains that turbo sizing is far more important than intercooler sizing when it comes to lag.
1G-GTEFreAk
Regular

November 2002

Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 22 August 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The intercooler point is a very good one.I figure that without an intercooler the car would respond agressively although the charge would be much hotter.So truck cores aren't necessaryily all that bad.
RA231G-GTE
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Fri, 22 August 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know if any one replaces these with different turbos or do they keep them original with good second hand or reco ones?
323_rotor_guy
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Sat, 23 August 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate has a 1g-gte and its alright as far as the stock turbos are concerned, am hes dead set they are ceramic, truck coolers provide very very good value for money, oviously specialy made ones would be better but insanely dearer, mate was running 14psi with no probs with turbo but i think he was hitting boost cut then? but not sure he had a few problems not realated to the turbos but and as said before if you run the bigger injectors you'll need the computer re-maped or a whole new computer for it to work properly, and nearly all injectors (of the same brand) have the same plugs on them and the plugs are easy to change anyway the actual mounting in the inlet is the thing to worry about
The Bruster
Regular

August 2003
Re: Boosting 1G-GTE Sat, 23 August 2003 19:50 Go to previous message
ha ha just read my old post.. was meant to read defo NOT ceramic!!!!! I have a brand factory new pair sitting infront of me right now...... they are NOT NOT NOT ceramic!!!!! CT-12as are tho Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 modifying, what would YOU do?
Next Topic:What are the signs of stuffed turbos?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:28:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070240497589111 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.