Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 12:04 Go to next message
Well all, Its come time to get off my lazy bum and do the 2jz-gte conversion into an is200.
Anybody know somebody who could do the conversion, or anybody who has done it before that can give some hints.

I know its been done a few times (ray hall in qld is one) and OS a few times.
And look at the photos of those cars i was thinking maybe a single GT3240 type turbo maybe better than the twin setup, room wise , not to mention power wise Smile

I would do it all myself but it would take 2 years ! and thats just a bit too long, so looking for some workshop silly enough to assist.

Evan
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This isn't the sort of job that lots of workshops would have experience with. In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone apart from Ray Hall have done it. Just find a workshop that's experienced with late-model Toyota stuff, that's about the best you can do.

You DO realise this is going to cost a fortune, don't you? Like $20k plus just to get it on the road, totally stock?
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any late model toyota shops you could reccomend ?

Why do you say $20k + to get it on the road, even stock ?
Or was that including the 2jz and 6 speed ?

Well i already have a 99 model supra (makes engineering easier for a 99 model is200) as a doner car, engine mounts etc are all gettable straight from toyota, granted its a tight fit but i doubt that enpensive to do, shit if it is i would take a few weeks off work and do it myself and juet get assitance when needed (given i have access to hoist etc to be able to do it myself)

E
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm presuming you have already investigated things like the X-member for the mount compatability (so there is no difference between the IS200 & IS300), is the sump configuration the same between the SUPRA & the IS200 (or IS300 parts from toyota).

I also presume $$$ aren't too much of a problem for you as you have a late model SUPRA engine & box and are transplanting into a $30k+ IS200.

I like the statement:
Quote:

Its come time to get off my lazy bum and do the 2jz-gte conversion... Anybody know somebody who could do the conversion...

If finding someone to do it is getting off your lazy bum then thats pretty lazy. (Thats an oxymoron isn't it??)

Fair enough you backed it up by saying it would take you too long, would be nice to sit back and pay people to do it, but where is the fun/satisfaction in that!! Not quite the path most transplanters on here take.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan, have a quick scan of this. Take note of the modifications and custom fabrication required. Look at the time required as $50-70/hour. Do this for a couple of weeks. Add that up. It works out to a big number.

As for Melbourne workshops, I would recommend nobody. Some people on MelbCCR seem to know all the Melbourne workshops, but I'd be extremely wary of who entrusted my beloved IS200 to. I'd be extremely cynical of anyone who promises a short time frame - your car might be in the workshop for months. For some strange reason, workshops derive kudos for having a car in their shop for months. I suppose it is a form of advertising - "look at what we are doing" - whilst giving the easily fooled owner the mushroom treatment.

If you must take it to a workshop, check them out carefully.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan_26 wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 05:48

Why do you say $20k + to get it on the road, even stock ?

Do you have any experience with engine conversions in late-model cars? I'd guess not, otherwise you wouldn't be asking that! Believe me, $20k would be a good outcome for you.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 11 August 2003 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My sister has a RAV4 and i'm just about to do a 2jz conversion in it. Does anyone know of a place in Brisbane that could do this conversion for me.
I know it will be easy to do cause both engines are Toyota its just that I dont have any tools to do it.
Any help?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is easy, but you need to turn the rav 4 sideways, so the engine fits in. Laughing

on a seriouser note, how about sticking a 1GGTE head on the 1GFE boat anchor, and then putting a decentish turbo on there or something? then you wouldnt have to get custom made springs for the front end.

id say the 20k would be justified if you dont want your engine bay to be a mess of wire, electrical tape and zip ties, for 20 k you would expect a top notch looks-like-factory conversion though id say.

good luck with it! i love the look of the IS200, and it deserves more power.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even if it did cost 20k it doesnt detract from the fact that this is the ultimate toyota engine conversion.

if the guy can afford a 99 lexus then 20k isnt to much of a stretch to have an absolute awsome machine.

this is my future conversion (10 years time).
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pft
in 10 years I want a 4jz-gte in my mk2 or mk4 supra
KING_22
Regular

August 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan, Amberley Autos in Dandenong are the best people to speak to about this. They are extremely proffesional and honest with u. Speak to Ian, he is the doctor in charge there. They have done a heap of conversion work and modification work, one look at the car park there and u will realise that for yourself. Nothing seems to be impossible for them it seems. They do charge a little more but that little bit more $$$ is your insurance against dodgy butchers. 03 97931616
Smile
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The most complicated point of the conversion into an IS200 is the computer interfacing. The Lexus is very dependant on the factory computer.

I'm looking at a 1JZ VVTi conversion into the IS200 as it is slightly lighter than the 2JZ and front end weight is a problem with the balance of the car.

The conversion will loose some of the nimbleness of the IS200 but this is more than made up for the power gain.

Ray Halls site is an excellent site to give an understanding of the work involved. Just remember that it is not much worse than most other conversions - just a bit more hi-tech wiring required.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can do the wiring for yr conversion if u like
i am willing to fly to melb or anyware if u are willing to pay for travel which flying virgin blue aint to bad these days

Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well sideshow thanks for the offer, i will get some quotes and maybe take you up on an offer like that.

I have heard a GS300 crossmember can be modified or fits possibly, and the GS300 sump may just work as well.

The wiring did concern me a bit but i have a full supra (ie not a cut out of a car engine and gearbox so that should help, well sort of a full supra, engine etc intact but i would guess just about every panel is stuffed)

I know there is a lot of work but i just wanted the engine done and gearbox, things like the big supra brakes or r34 brembo's i have etc and suspension i was all going to organise myself, i just thought somebody with a clue to do engine and box may have made life easier.

If it all gets to hard i am sure it would be easier to do a 3s-ge conversion as atleast the gearbox should be same, but not sure how strong they are.

The balance, front heavy thing is a worry as well, but i figure it shouldn't be toooo bad (hopefully), the is300 is nice enough to drive so the turbo shouldn't add too much weight. I can always move battery to boot as well.

I would have expected 3 weeks would be a decent time, say 120hrs x $60 = $7200, + parts and fabrication. I planning to strip the supra to start with for the parts required and even the IS if it helped them.
$10-12,000 i thought would be not too far from the mark, brakes/suspension, after market computer etc all extra of course but i would handle that myself anyway.

Any more thoughts ?

E
seeks
Regular

September 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gday all,

A 2jz would be cool, just curious as to why you wouldn't just get a tough 3sgte in there.

Throw a bit of money at it and it'd be the goods.

Catchas,
Seeks.

c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't the IS300 have a 2J engine?? Then can't you just buy a IS300 crossmember to go into a IS200?
Or not that simple?

Or do what they do in america and turbo a IS300, sure it's still auto, but who needs 6 speeds anyway.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0111tur_drea mteam/
http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0111tur_pres sure/
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes is300 is 2jz. thought the cross member may need to be differeent with the v160 getrag 6 speed, all depends on position i guess. You can use the is300/gs300 engine mounts though.

2 reasons i didn't do an IS300 and turbo, 1.) i have a is200. 2.) i like manual.

As for the why not do a 3s-ge, well i alreay owned a 99 model supra TT 2jz-gte vvti and getrag 6 speed, and thats just a unique opertunity to do something wild with it rather than sell it and buy a 3s-ge and go wild. Not that i dislike the 3s-ge/gte in any way, just the 2jz seemed maybe like more fun so to speak Smile

but how much would it cost to do the 3s-ge transplant ???
i know how much it costs to mod.

Also how strong is the stock 6 speed in is200/altezza compared to the v160 getrag ? i would imagine 2 very different boxes ???

E
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c2888 wrote on Wed, 13 August 2003 01:04

Or do what they do in america and turbo a IS300, sure it's still auto, but who needs 6 speeds anyway.

Drive a car with the V160 and you would change your opinion quicksmart.

Evan_26 - Can you do any of the work yourself? This is the first question you probably should be asking yourself, and if the answer is yes, it will not cost your $20,000 to do such a conversion.

If no it's time to start saving, $20,000 may be a bit of an over estimate but it's better to budget more than less....

Conversions usually cost more and take longer than expected(although this isn't always the case, mine took just over 4 weeks to do myself, and cost less than I had imagined, still not cheap though.)
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 12 August 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to add my (usual) 2c...

This is what I'd be doing with an IS...(although I think 20K would only be scratching the surface Sad )

http://nz.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?act =ST&f=12&t=173&
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 13 August 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aside from the IS430 conversion (drools Razz) I reckon you'd be mad to try and install a 2JZGTE if you can't do it yourself, you will end up with a huge bill. What I recommend is a turbo setup for the original 1GFE, quite a few people have done this with great success.

The 1GFE may have the "economy" head, but it makes more power than the 1GGE and has a better torque/power curve. I'd be pushing the limits of the 1GFE before I whacked on a GE head.

Food for thought.
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 13 August 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not that i cant do the conversion myself, and i must admit the 3s-ge swap i would be very happy to do myself but its just i dont really have the time to do it all. I really just need help with engine/gearbox side of things, the electrical , brakes , suspension , and things like intercooler piping, radiator etc i can do myself. Just the engine/box and there mounts.

Otherwise i see the 2jz which seems a shame, dont want it sitting around just because i dont have 3 or 4 solid weeks to spend on it. maybe over christmas is a chance i dont know.

Evan

Edit: and yes the is430 type conversion is hot !!! pity the engines would be so hard to come by and the development costs ... well i hate to think.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2003 07:27]

ra23celica1977
Regular

September 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 13 August 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
advan performance in silverwater sydney have done the 2jzgte conversion in is200. they did it quite easily. give them a call on 96471326 i am sure they will be happy to cht. Peter Hopkins is the owner.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 13 August 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biased99 wrote on Wed, 13 August 2003 09:45

This is what I'd be doing with an IS...(although I think 20K would only be scratching the surface Sad )

I cant believe they got that to fit so snugly in there.
i bet the guys doing the swap are lacking a full head of hair now Laughing
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Mon, 18 August 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i guess thats settles it, going to be doing it myself Smile
A nice medium size single turbo since i think thats easier that modifying the standard units to clear heater hose's etc.
(hopefully the engineer will pass a medium single, or atleast i will check with him first)

So all you guys could be in for some questions in the comming few months.

E
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Tue, 19 August 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone considered a 1UZ for the IS200 transplant.

If the Germans can fit the 430 then the 400 should fit. It would be a tight sqeeze but just as awesome.
saa_
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 20 August 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica1977 wrote on Wed, 13 August 2003 17:36

advan performance in silverwater sydney have done the 2jzgte conversion in is200. they did it quite easily. give them a call on 96471326 i am sure they will be happy to cht. Peter Hopkins is the owner.

Might be the same one I've heard about..
fhrxstudios did a stereo install on an IS300 which had a 2jz conversion (still auto but). There's some pics at the bottom of this page: http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstu dios/photogallery_3.asp
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 17 September 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys

i just had a look at the lexus at advan

it is an IS 300

it has a 2jzge standard
the 2jzgte bolts straight in

just remember the is300 has tiptronic auto control and the ecu and auto ecu are one complete unit

im helping them figure out how to get the whole thing running properly
ill let u know how we all go
Evan_26
Regular

April 2003
Re: IS200 - 2jz-gte conversion in melbourne ? Wed, 17 September 2003 08:24 Go to previous message
Sadly i kind of bought a house before i got to start the project so the supra is for sale. See for sale section.
I could still do the project but would mean selling my GTR and really like the GTR as atleast its running at the moment.
E
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:alternator spray lubricant.
Next Topic:Which is better
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 11:47:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053451061248779 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.