Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kurupted_tegra
Newcomer

August 2003
Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 11:07 Go to next message
Hey all,

I have some excess money on the side that i want to invest in a play car. I used to do some drifting in my skyline but got over it in such an expensive car.

As a fan of Initial D i was after a Sprinter like the one on there. Not knowing much about the Sprinter range i was hoping some of you can help me out as to letting my know models and stuff and where i can find this car?

Thanks

Please email any replys to kurupted_tegra@hotmail.com
  Send a private message to this user    
kurupted_tegra
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok ive got is sussed. i want a trueno (spelling?)

about how much will i expect to pay for one and how rare are they?

Thanks
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your gonna have to have a bit of money on the side for a Trueno model if you can get one. Did I see a $10000+ figure?
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uh oh u said the ID word Shocked

well look at j-spec imports to see what they have, and don't expect an ae86 to be cheap, if it is expect it to have issues from rust, drift damage, who know its a 20 year old car.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 12:18]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha.. we've got a live one here boys hehehe Smile (TAKUMI!)

another one of those... "I've seen initial D, and I've found out that the hachiroku is called a sprinter in Australia".

Well I've got news for you buddy boy. Local Sprinters in their stock form are shit.
And a decent, 'non-shitbox performance' trueno (like the one u want) from japan goes for the same price as a r32 GTR, or an early model FD3S RX-7.

oh and another thing. Sprinters are rare. Trueno's even rarer. There are more skylines on the road here. And good luck trying to outbid the local japanese market for a trueno (probably the only way you are going to get one). They love their trueno's more than anyone. Oh, and better grab that cheque book, because we are talking $1X,XXX dollars here.

Don't believe me, well you don't have to.
But it's the truth.

rock on.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 14:17]

lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to drift in a cheap car buy a silvia, the suspension geometery in the rear is meant to make them easier to drift.

if you mention initial D on here people will give you shit, despite the fact that some of us like it.

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Mon, 11 August 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed. silvias are prolly a better choice. They are definitely cheaper, and in stock form, have a better suspension setup than a stock hachi.

AE86s are not easy to drive and drift. People seem to think that they are, but they are not. It's a car that you cannot take short cuts in. It's a car that teaches the driver *proper* advanced driving techniques. These techniques are transferrable to most sports cars thereafter.

rock on.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your heart is set on a AE86 so you can be a fully sick drifter then get one.

Then you can change your nick from kurupted_tegra to kurupted_sprinter! Rolling Eyes

PS: People I actually love ID...... but for FFS...... its a cartoon! Imagine if I went around town dressed like HE-MAN...... and went to Dreamworld to pickup a tiger so I could ride on its back!
kurupted_tegra
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha thanks all, i thibnk ill just go back into my shell and drift my skyline, and go back to the show car scene.

thanks again
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude I think most people are really not having a go at you more so trying to show you that the basic Aus spec AE86 package is a POS! And an original one from jap, has been most likely thrashed, smashed and rusted.. not all.... but the vast majority!

My choice for a drit car would definatly be an S13.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skylines can drift... they just need a few tweaks in the susp dept to stop them from rolling over Wink
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the way initial D newbies think.

1. Hachiroku's are cheap (less than $1k).
2. You can be a mad drifter instantly in a hachiroku.
3. There are heaps of 86's around in scrapyards in japan. Cause
Anything beyond 5 y.o. over there is worth nothing.
4. the POP-LIGHT trueno is ALWAYS better than ANY FIXED-LIGHT
levin. (that said 86 levins are always classified as hachigos Smile )
5. Only I've got a soft spot for the sprinter. People can laugh
at my bomb all they want, but I will show them who's the
fully sic mad cunt driver in my 'non-conventional' car Smile

sorry, I just had to Smile

rock on.
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's this exact attitude that pisses me off about this forum. I thought this was toymods about and supporting toyota?
Someone enquires about getting the classic ae86 after seeing it on initial D in trueno form. Wanting the car for drifting is no suprise, watch any drifting video from Japan and tell me if any of them don't feature more then one ae86. If this guy has the money to be in the show scene and own a skyline then getting an Aus spec sprinter to Japanese spec shouldn't be too hard for his budget. As for the people saying "it's a cartoon" etc there is at least two ae86's on this forum with panda paint jobs, or have paid to have their car painted that way. I agree that you shouldn't think that by buying a stock sprinter you're getting the awesome initial-D car, but I'm sure many sprinter owners on this forum are eventually going to have specs as good or better then the initial-D car. I think it's ludicrous to come onto the toymods forum asking about buying the cult classic toyota ae86 and being told to buy a silvia. Mad
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surprised
Rock on.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2003 03:22]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
if you want it that bad, but an oz spec and drop a 4a-ge 20v or 4a-gze (supercharged) in.

if you're *really* set on a jap spec one, you will fork out the prices quoted above ($10k+)
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i just said a silvia because its a CHEAP drift car, id much rather a genuine panda tureno, infact one of my friends has had one for the last 4 years atleast. its even got the fujiawa tofu shop writing on the side, and hes had it for YEARS.

Initial D is a cartoon, but lots of real people can drift.

i own a WHITE series 4 rx7 infini, and as soon as i learn how to drift decently, im putting redsuns stickers on it so it looks like ryosuke takashi's car. but im not doing it untill i learn to drift because otherwise i feel it is insulting to pretend im something im not.

If anyone has a problem with me making my car look like the FC from initial D please let me know.

if people see my car that like the series and think cool, then that is good, if people think, gee that guy is a tryhard wanker for copying it, then i dont want to do it.

but i think a replica of the car would be cool
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cytribe wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 13:15

It's this exact attitude that pisses me off about this forum. I thought this was toymods about and supporting toyota?
Someone enquires about getting the classic ae86 after seeing it on initial D in trueno form. Wanting the car for drifting is no suprise, watch any drifting video from Japan and tell me if any of them don't feature more then one ae86. If this guy has the money to be in the show scene and own a skyline then getting an Aus spec sprinter to Japanese spec shouldn't be too hard for his budget. As for the people saying "it's a cartoon" etc there is at least two ae86's on this forum with panda paint jobs, or have paid to have their car painted that way. I agree that you shouldn't think that by buying a stock sprinter you're getting the awesome initial-D car, but I'm sure many sprinter owners on this forum are eventually going to have specs as good or better then the initial-D car. I think it's ludicrous to come onto the toymods forum asking about buying the cult classic toyota ae86 and being told to buy a silvia. Mad

If the forum pisses you off..... then leave... no one is holding you here!

So this guy has a Skyline in the show scene? So fucking what?
You think I give a shit about what kind of budget he has...... he has $50k to spend on a spinter.... good for him! Why should I bow down and kiss his ass because of it??

Love how you could not say "Excuse me SPEEDCORE...." You have to say "as for the people saying....."it's a cartoon" ......

Guess what... it IS a f&$%ing cartoon!! Its a great cartoon.... but its a F#@$ING CARTOON!! Get the f%$# over it!

What is your point when you say that "at least 2 toymodders have panda painjobs"?? I think people forget that the panda was a factory colour scheme, and people get labled ID freak and such....

You jump to conclusions and think that everyone that makes a comment about a newcommer wanting a TRUENO to drift, gets a hard time. The majority of peoples posts inc. mine within this thread included nothing more that INFORMATIVE and HONEST information, so kurupted.. could make an informed decision if he is truly genuine about getting into drifting.

Why is it ludacris (sp?) to say to someone to buy a S13 if they are after a cheap drift car??

Oh yeah and even if he does have a nice healthy budget to work with...... $2k+ to get a 20 year old diff is a fucking joke.....
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 10:37

Imagine if I went around town dressed like HE-MAN...... and went to Dreamworld to pickup a tiger so I could ride on its back!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

ps calm down speedcore, your right (above post not quote), but theres no need to get AS fired up about it
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey lang,

Quote:

If anyone has a problem with me making my car look like the FC from initial D please let me know.

To make your FC look like a takahashi replica,
R u gonna fit the
1. S5 Front and Rear Bumpers?
2. The S5 rubber body mouldings.
3. A FEED front lip?
4. Some black RS watanabe rims?
5. S5 OEM turbo II rear spoiler?
6. Afterkmarket 'cone' style side mirrors?

I would strongly suggest against it, as your car looks pretty interesting and unique as a series 4 inifini. The body kit looks pretty good, and the square 'matrix' tail lights look good too.

but on the same token, putting a Redsuns sticker on your car in this form would look a little *cough* silly.

Personally if I were you, i'd like to keep your car as is. BUt if you are going to put the Redsuns Decal, i reckon you'll have to convert the exterior to a series 5.

other than that, I have no problems at all
rock on.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All you Initial D hypocrites! You know you love the show but just can't admit it! Laughing

C'mon ... it's a great show so you can't blame ppl wanting a Trueno after all this but there is some truth in that it's only a cartoon as Speedcore said.

Still, I don't see any probs with ppl asking questions on Sprinters - I guess the fact that ppl may look into a Sprinter because of the show is something which can't be avoided but we shouldn't act like elitist pricks who growl anytime someone shows interest in your car. I get it all the time from mates but have learnt to put up with it.

In fact, it is good to have some recognition for the car otherwise it's gonna be just a Corolla to about 80% of the population ... for better or for worst.

The yanks are gonna have a harder time as it's gonna be released in the states and already similar threads (even more anti-Initial D) have been springing up on the Club 4AG forums.

Ultimately, if you have the money and want to get a Sprinter due to Initial D, then no one's to stop you. The fact that some ppl are jaded in that too many Sprinters have been wrecked due to drifting or the real qualities of this car is undermined by gutter runs and tofu - so you have to see where they are coming from ...

Yeah ... an S13 would be the ideal drift car as you'll have to spend that much to get an AE86 going sideways ...
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedcore: I didn't say you'd said it was only a cartoon specifically because it is a sentiment I've seen posted by many people on this forum. I wasn't personally attacking you, I was saying how ludicrous it is for a forum dedicated to toyota's to disuade someone from getting one. Of course the s13 is a superiour drift car, just as there are superiour models in their class of every different toyota ever made. However the fact is the ae86 has character that every owner knows and falls in love with. It's not the fastest, the best handling or the greatest toyota ever but it'd have to be one of the most loved and revered despite its considerable age. If I left everyplace I disagreed with someone I'd be very alone, I have no problem with you being pissed off at me just as I am at some of the opinions voiced here but lets not get personal.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 17:18

Hey lang,

Quote:

To make your FC look like a takahashi replica,
R u gonna fit the
1. S5 Front and Rear Bumpers?
2. The S5 rubber body mouldings.
3. A FEED front lip?
4. Some black RS watanabe rims?
5. S5 OEM turbo II rear spoiler?
6. Afterkmarket 'cone' style side mirrors?

I would strongly suggest against it, as your car looks pretty interesting and unique as a series 4 inifini. The body kit looks pretty good, and the square 'matrix' tail lights look good too.

but on the same token, putting a Redsuns sticker on your car in this form would look a little *cough* silly.

Personally if I were you, i'd like to keep your car as is. BUt if you are going to put the Redsuns Decal, i reckon you'll have to convert the exterior to a series 5.

other than that, I have no problems at all
rock on.

hehe 1st on my list is learning to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. once i can control drift i will decide what i want to do

who thinks i should put red suns decals on the sides and the stickers down the door the same once i know how to drift and ive got abit more power?

this is my car yesterday at mallala

http://www.bsglobal.com.au/fcwet.jpg

cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it looks really good already, big graphics would ruin the clean lines in my opinion.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lang: are you in SARotors?
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from that small picture, it doesn't look too bad...

but it doesn't look like ryosuke takahashi's FC3S. sticking a 'redsuns' sticker on it will be almost as bad as sticking 'fujiwara tofu-ten' on a shoddy aus-spec sprinter with a half baked panda scheme and a 'kouki' front nose (with retractable lights that don't retract), all the while "drifting" with an open diff and rear drum brakes...
but then again there's a car like that around my parts. not to name any ppl, but its from a certain 'family' :/

back to the point, yours is a series 4 FC. Ryosuke's is a series 5. they've got the same shape, but significantly different features on the body. if you're gonna make a replica, you mite as well do it properly and get the right bits on before you apply that decal...

otherwise i rekon just be a sick FC drifter - without the Redsuns decal. if you don't, well thats no skin off my back, but ppl may see you not for the drifter you are, but a shoddy initial-d wannabe car.

my 2c
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optushome.com.au/j0hnny/AE86/takumi.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2003 08:29]

evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the way, initial-d is an awesome show.

if ppl don't see that, then thats their loss. i've never been too technically minded when it comes to cars, but i've learnt a great deal over the past few years. upon watching the show again, i've found that alot of their technical explanations are very true. its not a brain-dead show founded on utter fiction... well not completely anyway (granted, there are some absolutely BS parts).

anyway, i don't have a problem with ppl idolising takumi and the show... i do however, think that ppl who think they're takumi and are living initial-d are A-holes (especially when they've got their cars and techniques all wrong), but i don't like ppl knocking others back for the mere mention of initial-d.

everybody to their own. like your initial-d, hate your initial-d... just as long as you don't think you're in initial-d nor do you impose your hate of initial-d onto others.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2003 08:31]

J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optushome.com.au/chriscarmichael/FC/Dsc00043.jpg

do it up like that its absolutely beautiful Very Happy
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nice indeed... a series 5 with a few extra bits and bobs. i like those P1 racing rims.

its only missing a few more pieces to be an exact replica of ryosuke takahashi's FC, but i'd call that close enough for a 'redsuns' sticker.

nice big clear photo too. good on ya pal.
thats not your 2nd car is it? (the photo looks like its in japan)...
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 18:06

Lang: are you in SARotors?

yep i am
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang,

walking the walk rather than talking the talk really doesn't apply. The exterior mods I've listed aint even performance related. Just cause you got a FEED lip doesn't mean you are a fully sic driver for example.

The list of modifications I've listed are all cosmetic. It's also for you to save face just in case you get branded a NQR ryouske 'wannabe' when the sticker goes on.

We live in a vain world. True, having the skill to match the redsuns sticker is important. But I think in this day and age, having the looks is even more important. It's sad but true.

And think about it. Most people on the streets won't see you drifting, cause its simply too dangerous to do so on most public roads. You'll probably get a lot more flak than a P plater with a Series 5 and the redsuns sticker driving in a straight line.

So yeah, if you want to do it, go ahead. But I reckon you'll cheapen the car. Save yourself the heartbreak dude. Only do it if the car *looks like the takashi, or don't attempt it at all.

rock on.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2003 12:11]

lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Newbie help AE86 Tue, 12 August 2003 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah your right, if i did it id have to make the car look/be exactly the same.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Wed, 13 August 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 17:22

Still, I don't see any probs with ppl asking questions on Sprinters - I guess the fact that ppl may look into a Sprinter because of the show is something which can't be avoided but we shouldn't act like elitist pricks who growl anytime someone shows interest in your car. I get it all the time from mates but have learnt to put up with it.

Yeah ... an S13 would be the ideal drift car as you'll have to spend that much to get an AE86 going sideways ...

Bingo Dodgy!! That is pretty much what I rapped up in my second post.

"Dude I think most people are really not having a go at you more so trying to show you that the basic Aus spec AE86 package is a POS! And an original one from jap, has been most likely thrashed, smashed and rusted.. not all.... but the vast majority!

My choice for a drift car would definatly be an S13."

All I want is for people to realize that it IS a 20 year old car.... way underpowered in Aus spec form, not the most readily available parts wise, and to make a truely competitive drift car needs to be stiffened and strengthened.. ie. seam welded blah blah blah!! You get the Drift..... no pun intended Very Happy

This is why I refer people to a S13 if they just want to get into drifting.... no need to fool around much with it compared with setting up a oz AE86.

As for people wanting a spinter because of ID..... it has its good and bad points! The bad is that there will be a relatively high interest in the car in any shape or form, especially with the more impressionable of us, ie. younge people, which tend not to be the most cautious drivers.... not saying all young people.... just a higher percentage. This also comes down to less experience.

On the other hand you will get people, both young and old, that will want to enjoy the car for many years, take care of it, decide on either N/A, F/I and even engines from other manufactures yadda yadda yadda...... it would be nice if there was a higher number of people that buy spriners that thought like this, and looked after sprinters!

Unfortunatly, most sprinters these days are uni student cars because they are cheap. They are not exactly looked after also.

Look like I said previously if you want a AE86 even if you want to drift it..... GO PHER IT! And for gods sake be careful!

If you want instant "Driftability" get an S13,

'Nough SAID!
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Wed, 13 August 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and for those interested.

here is a series 5 with all the 'takahashi' exterior components.
He's just waiting for the wheels I guess, so the sticker hasn't gone on yet Smile Smile

http://homepage.cs.latrobe.edu.au/shcao/rx7.jpg

The car is a stock series 5 except for the aftermarket 'FEED' lip, and the cone style aero mirrors.

ok, back to the main topic..

rock on.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Thu, 14 August 2003 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panda's are such sporting aerodynamic creatures ..

cheap drifty fun = silvia

writing off a sprinter of any sort in driftyfun = a waste of a good bodyshell

at least if its crashed - its a nissan - not a toyota ..

ps - inital D is a good cartoon - Sorta like dragonball Z - the fight scenes are cool - but Sure you can levitate and fight in the air and throw fireballs , just like a sprinter with a 4a on the way to delivering munchies is going to appear out of the dark - and leap over your car on a hairpin bend ..
its animated fun - but no way in hell believable - cartoons should never be taken seriously - its just so sad that this one in particular does seem to pick up all the dickheads with drifting ability dreams
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Thu, 14 August 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 17:21

ps - inital D is a good cartoon - Sorta like dragonball Z

You can't possibly be serious??
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Fri, 15 August 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course i am - they are both anime - and both fun to watch IF you realise that they are just cartoons - and totally not belivable ..

I enjoy both - but you dont see me trying to levitate and throw fireballs OR go out and drive like a total and utter tool on public roads ..

then again - the fireball thing would be pretty handy in QLD traffic ..

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Fri, 15 August 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never watched Initial D, but every time I flick past Dragonball Z I can feel my IQ dropping. I just found it amusing that you were using it as a benchmark for a "good" cartoon. Smile

It's a bit like saying "Australian Idol is a good TV show - sorta like Big Brother." LOL!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Newbie help AE86 Fri, 15 August 2003 02:54 Go to previous message
thats the whole point of cartoons - it turns your brain off -so you can watch unrealistic gratutious violence !

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:who has done a 1jz conversion and used a chaser front cut?
Next Topic:MA70 non turbo info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 21:08:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069499015808105 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.