Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KaosAD
Occasional Poster

June 2002
icon5.gif  How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Tue, 09 July 2002 05:07 Go to next message
I was just wondering how to go about decompressing a 2T engine so that it can be supercharged.

I heard that all you have to do is put a decompression plate between the head and the block. Is this true or is there more to the story.

I want to supercharge my 2T so it goes fast hehehe
  Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Tue, 09 July 2002 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could probably decompress the pistons. By taking the pistons out, put them in a lathe and skim the top a little. You need to work out what compression ratio you want, and work out how much to take off the pistons. Maybe 1mm.
pedroenglish
Regular

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 10 July 2002 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A decompression plate is a popular method, another alternative is to grind out each combustion chamber with a stone on your drill and measure volume here by filling with water from a graduated pipette to get the CR you want.

Pedro
MelloYello
Newcomer

July 2002

Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 10 July 2002 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest way would be to just get a thicker head gasket in my opinion. Shaving all the pistons could only be done right professionally. How much boost you planning to run w/ the charger? You could most likely keep it the way it is now if it's under 10 psi. I ran a 20 psi daily w/ a Greddy/Trust turbo on my honda civic which had a compression ratio of 10.5:1 on 93 octane gas. Had forged pistons/rods though...
KaosAD
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 10 July 2002 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I met a guy at a wreckers in brissie and he had a supercharger off some mitsubishi on the 2T and had done no engine mods so it had blown out 2 of the cylinders. I would like to do it properly so it doesnt root my engine.

so the best idea might be a thick metal head gasket?
I am getting some porting and polishing done so i will have to get a new head gasket anyway.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 July 2002 02:57]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 10 July 2002 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the head is coming off anyway then I would definatly look into a copper head gasket and o ringing the block.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 10 July 2002 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be cautious about machining the tops of the pistons, the last thing you want is weaker units when your going to be going forced induction.

A copper head gasket & o'rings will be awesome for holding in combustion pressures, but will also mean that excessive loads will be vented through your pistons and/or rods (read: broken!) instead of simply blowing a head gasket.

I'd be interested to know what pistons most people have used on blown/turbo'd 2T's, can you get away with the factory ones?
KaosAD
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 10 July 2002 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i just go and get a copper head gasket and the o ring things from any old auto shop like autobarn or will i need to go to someone special.

what is o ringing the block anyway - i have never heard of this before, enlighten this fool. Razz

Will i need stronger pistons? Are forged pistons expensive? Should i get the engine balanced when i do this?

In another thread someone (sorry cant remember who) said:

Quote............................................. .
also, i've got an 80thou copper head gasket for a 2T engine, which would lower your compression by about 1.5-2.5points.
.................................................. .

Would this be enough to stop the rings dying

[Updated on: Thu, 11 July 2002 03:07]

KaosAD
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Thu, 11 July 2002 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing, are copper head gaskets reuseable?

If i used the stock pistons and they die can i take the head off and replace the pistons and then reuse the copper gasket or do i then have to get a new one?

Might save a bit of money that way Very Happy
KaosAD
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 15 July 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rumpy bumpy Rolling Eyes
4SFED
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 15 July 2002 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, as alot of you know i supercharged my 2TGEU, so i know from experience.

Depending on the compressoin of your motor and the amount of boost you are planning on running, you wil not need to mod the motor.

I had a bone-stock 2TGEU and ran about 8psi through it with a SC12 blower. Never had a single problem and it hammered. There are a few things you can do to make it nice and safe:
1) Intercool it
2) Get an aftermarket ECU that does 3D mapping of fuel/ignition, so you can retard the ignition under boost somewhat. Done just do bodgy patches of orrigional EFI stuff, you WILL pop a motor.
3) run decent fuel (eg: hi octane unleaded)

Do this and get it tuned PROPERLY and you will have many years of boosting pleasure!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 15 July 2002 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim - bar the Computer - didnt u have to change the injectors or something as well - or was it just a turd to get the computer to play nice with the mapping for the blower ??

Still pondering the idea of replicating your 2tgeu idea when i get some dollarz behind me ..

Im hoping to have an Old school bruiser ( my current 71 pig ta22 ) and a modern monster ( probably a 74 or another 71, but with the 2tgze and better brakes package ) for serious fun
4SFED
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 15 July 2002 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, injectors need to be replaced with something a bit bigger. Do it before you start to map the ECU or you will run out of fuel, possibly pop the motor and have to start from scratch again.
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 15 July 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey 4SFED, i was the guy who was asking you all those dumb questions on msn a few months back on supercharging my 2TG Razz , well... i'm getting close(r) to doing it, ive now got a low compression 2TGEU and efi-ed it, but having some problems finding an aftermarket computer to run it. I also can't visulise the aircond bracket mounting the blower yet, but i'll work that one out when i get the blower.

you said you got a delco, i'm just wondering how hard was it to set-up for your 2TG (eg wat kind TPS, MAP or AFM, any oxy or knock sensors?) and was it hard to re-program it ($wise)??

cheers

rob
YOTA-22
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Tue, 16 July 2002 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If tim (4SFED) had a his chip or a copy of his chip and knew the injectors he used I could make copys for all who wanted to go down this path. But chances are he sold the gear with the engine?
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Tue, 16 July 2002 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tim, i am also another guy who has been previously bugging you about info on your car (Mark Rogers friend from ACT). I sent you a couple of emails back about 6 months ago about my 'exciting' brake fade experience at wakefield park in my TA22. Anyway, i am currently attempting to put a 13B J-port into my Celica and i had a quick look at your site and saw the custom cross-member you had made up for the 13B. I was wondering if, by any chance, i could gat any specs on it or even maybe pay you to make me one up if you're interested. I am also still interested in that brake upgrade. If you could email me at im_up4_streetdrags@hotmail.comwith any info it would be greatly appreaciated. Just one more thing, i was talking to Jamie [MRTA22] and he said that i would need to get the full-chassis treatment done to my TA22 if i intended to put a 20B turbo or even a 13B turbo in it. He said nobody would be able to engineer it due to the capacity vs weight problem. I was wondering what you have done about this?

thanks André

Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Thu, 18 July 2002 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The trick is to fit your turbo or supercharger first.

Stick about 20 psi into your engine and run at least 40 deg total timing advance at the point of peak torque.
Do repeated dyno power runs back to back untill the desired compression is reached.

(This process is much more effective in january).

This is a sure fire reciepe to lower the compression of your engine.

Works everytime.

Matt

4SFED
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Fri, 19 July 2002 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roger wrote on Tue, 16 July 2002 10:04 AM

If tim (4SFED) had a his chip or a copy of his chip and knew the injectors he used I could make copys for all who wanted to go down this path. But chances are he sold the gear with the engine?

Yeah sorry, all my chips went with the old motor. Contact Fueltronics as they will still have a copy of my final map.
4SFED
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Fri, 19 July 2002 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[TOYROTA

wrote on Tue, 16 July 2002 1:30 PM]Anyway, i am currently attempting to put a 13B J-port into my Celica and i had a quick look at your site and saw the custom cross-member you had made up for the 13B. I was wondering if, by any chance, i could gat any specs on it or even maybe pay you to make me one up if you're interested. I am also still interested in that brake upgrade. If you could email me at im_up4_streetdrags@hotmail.comwith any info it would be greatly appreaciated. Just one more thing, i was talking to Jamie [MRTA22] and he said that i would need to get the full-chassis treatment done to my TA22 if i intended to put a 20B turbo or even a 13B turbo in it. He said nobody would be able to engineer it due to the capacity vs weight problem. I was wondering what you have done about this?

thanks André

I make you the same engine plate that i have no problems, but the timing cover needs to be machined and the whole process is quite expensive. I would immagine for the whole lot somewhere between $1k and $1.5K. I amlmost fell over when i worked out the price, but it will be indestructable.

The brake upgrades are not so easy anymore as i am struggling to find the big disks. sorry mate.

Sure you can get it engineered if you dont mind spending some money on all the bits required. I mean, a mate has a 13BT in an R100 which are alot smaller than the TA22, and it is 100% legal. Mine will be engineered eventually Smile
Malkomv2.0
Regular

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Fri, 19 July 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy a 3t short motor, with aircon bracket. Fit 2t head. Put new rings and bearings in and away you go. Around 7.5:1 I think. A little too low for my liking, but it works. There is a ten second ta22 getting around melbourne with a to4 strapped to the side of one of these sucking LPG. No fogies either.
I think a 2t has a c/r of 8.5:1, so that is just dandy, no decomp needed. Now all you need to do is control fuel and ignition, but maybe that is a subject for another forum.
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Fri, 19 July 2002 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4SFED wrote on Fri, 19 July 2002 11:06 AM

roger wrote on Tue, 16 July 2002 10:04 AM

Yeah sorry, all my chips went with the old motor. Contact Fueltronics as they will still have a copy of my final map.

great to hear, i'll give fueltronics a call on monday and talk to them about it, but if they have the final map then I shouldn't need as much reprogramming, maybe none at all if i do the exact setup you did?!!?

cheers
rob.
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Fri, 19 July 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malkomv2.0 wrote on Fri, 19 July 2002 12:02 PM

Buy a 3t short motor, with aircon bracket. Fit 2t head. Put new rings and bearings in and away you go. Around 7.5:1 I think. A little too low for my liking, but it works. There is a ten second ta22 getting around melbourne with a to4 strapped to the side of one of these sucking LPG. No fogies either.
I think a 2t has a c/r of 8.5:1, so that is just dandy, no decomp needed. Now all you need to do is control fuel and ignition, but maybe that is a subject for another forum.

i thought a 2T head on a 3T block would increase compression, are you sure? i was just about to do that with my old engine (keep NA) to see how it goes.

i've heard of a turbo 2TG in melbourne that does 10secs with a T04, is that the celica your talking about?

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Fri, 19 July 2002 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms - this is interesting - So what were saying here is if we had the hardware in place - ie a 2tgeu , 4agze supercharger etc , all installed and ready to go - using a similar computer to what tim used - we could get it mapped using that chip profile from fueltronics ??

Ie a near on plug and play setup ?? How cool is that !

BTW tim - Did you still have your standard Gearbox ( t50 ) and diff when running your 2tgze ?? Or did you need to upgrade them to handle the extra power .. I know you upgraded your front brakes but curious to see in particular the gearbiox as i hear the t50s really start to struggle at around 200HP

If it ran the standard gear , standard internals and standard diff this may be a cheaper option for an upgrade instead of the 3tgteu setup im pondering down the track cause i have everything needed alrerady there - bar the 2tgeu

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Sat, 20 July 2002 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your an idiot matt
Malkomv2.0
Regular

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Sun, 21 July 2002 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the celica I am talking about is OHV. 2T's have larger comp chambers because they have a large raised section on the crown of the piston. 3t's are almost flat hence smaller.
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 22 July 2002 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 19 July 2002 6:44 PM

we could get it mapped using that chip profile from fueltronics ??

Ie a near on plug and play setup ?? How cool is that !

There is no reason you couldn't as long as you follow the same setup ie compression, injector size? and ignition setup(original JE camira ignition module with standard hall effect?)?, I have played with delco a bit and if you got the same chip as tim and a 2 bar sensor it would work. You could do a group buy or some thing and copy the chip. I can copy the chips for free if provided the code( To get this you have to read it off the fuel tronics chip which I can do ) and a memcal. Can also show you how to tune( slightly more complex than other after market option) it if you needed.

Roger
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 22 July 2002 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger - leave that with me mate - im still tossing up what to do wth mine and waiting oin a reply from tim re his gearbox and diff setup when he was running the 2tgze .. if alls good - i may start to progress in that direction , seeing that finding a good carby tuner is becoming bloody hard
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Mon, 22 July 2002 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you put a 2T head on a 3T block.... you will RAISE the compression to about 10.7:1.. Not lower..
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 24 July 2002 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
classique71: Don't quote me but i can remeber hearing something about 4sfed being STOCK T50 g/box and diff with his 2TGZE engine, so in theory it should hold (for awhile).

You gotta make sure you have the same compression as he did but, he had the 2TGEU which could have been the 8.8:1 or 8.4:1 model, either way if you got the earlier 2TG with the 9.8:1 compression your screwed with this conversion.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 24 July 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods - id source an original 2tgeu - Place in melb have them for avout 1600 with ECu and loom and stuff

Nods to the diff and box though - the gearbox would be the first to go POP

Anyway - Still deciding

Stuart
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 24 July 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 3t motor for sale $100 and its all yours

email me

jemima@winshop.com.au
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 24 July 2002 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also a 2tgeu but running twin solex's rebuilt 10,000kms ago $600
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to Decompress an engine for forced induction - specifically 2T celica engine Wed, 24 July 2002 13:51 Go to previous message
I will take the 3T motor, if you can get it to Hobart. Otherwise I'm coming to Melbourne in October.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WTD: 2t timing curve graph
Next Topic:4AGE RWD Extractors - Melbourne
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:56:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075469017028809 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.