Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Auto to manual conversion Wed, 13 August 2003 23:39 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Just wondering. I am looking at buying a Supra. But most of the really nice ones that I have seen are auto's. Of course, I would hate to have an auto. I have heard that it is not that hard to do the auto to manual conversion. How much is it? How long would it take? Just trying to decide whether I will go for the auto ones anyway.

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Wed, 13 August 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MK3 or Mk4?
turbo or non-turbo?
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would most probably be a turbo. Nice if it was the twin turbo, but probably the 3.0L Turbo.

Sorry I am not that familiar with the "technical" names, but it would be the 88-90 model. I think that is the Mk III
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a 3.0L turbo ur a lookin at an MA70
twin turbo 2.5L looks similar but is a different model JZA-70
these are mk3's

unless u mean the newer supra twins which are JZA-80's
this is a mk4
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that's right. I remember those model numbers now.

So how much would I be looking at for a conversion? Do you know?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the gearbox..
im guessing ud be using an r154
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i dont know what I would be getting. Something nice though.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The box alone will set you back $1500 for a MKIII box and $2K+ for a 6spd one for the MKIV.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to bump up your initial spend budget by this amount and see if you can find a manual one.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AH!!!

Oh, well, there goes that idea. I have got the loan approved, so I only have a certain amount that I can play with. Sad

Thanks for the help.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're after a good 88-90 Supra turbo with a manual transmission already installed, I know where you can find one. Speak to 7M-Brisbane on this forum, he has one for sale. Smile

If you really want to do an auto-manual conversion it can be done, but you're much better off finding a good manual car to begin with. They do exist, you just have to keep looking!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yes. I have already emailed him a couple of times. Problem is, i was REALLY wanting a targa top one. Sad
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo targa 5spd

You will be waiting a while.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah could be. But I am looking at a couple now....
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But are they black? Cool
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile One is. The other is white. But I am not so worried about the colour. As long as it is black or white. Either looks ok. And I imagine I will be doing something about the colour/paintjob within the next few years anyway.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Targa's suck. If you care about handling, get a hardtop!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You serious? But how much worse are they? I mean I wont be driving them like a race car. Are they THAT much worse? Is it worth giving up the sun and fresh air???
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Auto to manual conversion Thu, 14 August 2003 07:51 Go to previous message
I've test-driven a couple of targa MA70's, and without even fanging them the extra slop in the chassis was very obvious compared to the hardtops I've driven. I'm not saying it's horrendously bad, but it is noticeably worse than a hardtop. The roof is a major structural member of any car, so it stands to reason that you'll notice it when it's removed!

Is it worth giving up the sun and fresh air? That's a decision for you to make, but winding down the windows is good enough for me. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg cams defferent versions
Next Topic:18rgu/rgeu build which way?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 08:39:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079970359802246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.