Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celica28
Regular

May 2002
CCG - 23 June 02 Thu, 13 June 2002 03:19 Go to next message
Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know about the next Canberra Celica Group outing.

We are going to Wakefield Park (Goulburn) on 23 June 2002 for Drags and a Hillclimb.

Drags will cost $40 and so will the Hillclimb. If you plan to enter the hillclimb you will also have to pay an additional $30 for a Wakefield Park track licence and insurance. To clarify these prices I suggest you call Wakefield Park directly, do not quote me.

Scrutineering starts at 8.00am. If you are intending on entering either/all the competitions, you will need to give yourself an hour for travelling time in order to get to Wakefiled Park.

The group will be meeting at the Gateway Service Station (SUMMERNATS) at 8.00am 23 June. Will will be leaving at 8.15am.

This will be a great day out as Phil Lawrence (T18 with 3T-GTE) is planning on having some fun with the T18. He recently fitted a new exhaust and is really happy with the new found performance.

If you want to find out any additioanl details of the group, do not hesitate to call me on 0412 699 144.

Hope to see you soon.

Phil
  Send a private message to this user    
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Thu, 13 June 2002 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damnit dude!

if my car was ready i would love to strap it around there!!!!

I hope it turns out a success, and it happens again really soon Wink
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Sun, 23 June 2002 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So where were all you CCG members?? Hiding out of the cold??

only 4 cars flying the toyota flag amongst dozens of aussie boat-anchors.....shame, shame.....

[Updated on: Sun, 23 June 2002 08:16]

celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Mon, 24 June 2002 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Fellow Canberrians,

Phil is correct that thter were only a hand full of TOYOTA's competing. Numbers were doen on what was expected to front from Canberra, but given the temperature if was expected. For those that did show up it was a very enjoyable day watch TOYOTA's get teh upper hand on cars that have a reputation for being naturally quicker.

Keep your eyes out fo rthe next CCG event in July.

Phil
Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Tue, 25 June 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you end up entering anything Phil (TE72 Turbo)? How did the car go? Chris.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Tue, 25 June 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Chris, I had the T18 there, ran an 8.7 @131 kph.

Toyota: 1

Torana: 0!

What's happening with your car chris? Did you get another engine?

hope to see more CCG members there next time

Cheers
Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Wed, 26 June 2002 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done Phil, any idea what sort of quarter mile time that might translate to? What time did the torana manage?
I was hoping to make it out to see your car in action, be nice to see what a well put together 3t set-up can do. Unfortunately I usually work weekends and since the first ccg meeting they've all been on my rostered weekend. My dad was going to take me up there this weekend for the all-british day, he's entering his MG-B, but ...working again:(
I've made a bit of progress engine-wise. I've met someone who was able to organise some decently priced parts to use for a rebuild, so I've decided to go that way rather than get another import. I just picked up the forged pistons the other day, they're JE 1mm over and bushed for a full-floating pin, I got them for $900 - which I was pretty happy with considering replacement Toyota ones would set me back $750 or so. I couldn't find those ACL ones, as someone else had found, they didn't have a listing for them at the place I went. Off the same person I also got shot-peened, crack-tested and linished rods, nitrided and balanced crank, bored and honed block (with a torque-plate). I'm hoping to get it all together for about $2500 all up, with the invaluable assistance of yellorolla, so it proved to be irresistable compared to another import for around $1400-1500. After buying all those bits though it's going to take me about two months to get all the rest of the stuff (gaskets etc.) for it to be assembled. I'm bloody looking forward to it though, my engine is still in a bad way, I guess they don't often get better, damn second law of thermodynamics. It's drinking a bit of water through a stuffed head-gasket and I'm sure some of the ring-landings broke under some fierce (and foolish) detonation a while back. It should get back a real kick when it's all sealing better. Anyway, look forward to checking out the new additions to your engine, be good to go for a drive sometime too - spur me on to get everything fixed up. Chris.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Wed, 26 June 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks dude! I dunno what time the Torrie managed, but i beat it by only half a car or so. Apparently, my 8.7 1/8th should equate to a very low 13 sec quarter mile, but when i do get to Eastern Creek for a full run, i'll have another 5psi of boost & better tyres to hopefully crack a 12 second pass.

Your plans for the 3T sound awesome! Were those pistons new? its an excellent price.

Will you be changing the computer?

Phil
Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Sat, 29 June 2002 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Low 13s brilliant! Nice to know a 3t can generate the kind of torque you need to get up and going like that. How much does your car weigh again? What boost did you have it set on for that run? What do you limit your revs to? Do you use your haltech to control boost? Unfortunately I can't afford to change the computers yet so I'll have to put up with the stockies for now, (damn airflow meter/restrictor, bigger injectors would be nice too) it'd be good to have electronic control though, I've heard the new Wolf has pretty good mapping to control it - I'll probably look at that and the haltech when I can afford to make the change. At the moment I'm using one of the ball and spring type Turbosmart controllers, it's okay but I think it could be better.
Yeah those pistons were brand new, only one of them had actually been unwrapped, very shiny Laughing I still need to get the top ring groove cut though, you use gapless rings hey, would you recommend them? - the heads going to be o-ringed but I'm only going to run 14psi for a while (I don't know heaps about rings, I've heard of staggered gaps and the like but I'm not really sure what would suit my needs best, or the $$$ factor. I'm still using the same crappy intercooler, I'm on the lookout for a good replacement, crossflow or that can be modified to suit (keep the tract away from the exhaust system) - you sold your old one hey? Kind of wish I'd made you an offer for it when you mentioned you were looking to make the change, I think what you were after was pretty much in the price range I'm setting myself ($500 or so). The stock injectors will be limiting me for a bit, but I'm using a malpassi rising rate fuel regulator to get a bit more out of them. Chris.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Sat, 29 June 2002 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey chris

my car weighs 1085kg with full fuel. I was running 14psi boost.

why wasnt the top ring groove cut in your pistons? I'd definately use gapless rings, when you see how much clearance you have to run between the cylinder & piston with forgies you'll see why.

I'm not sure how much merit i would place on using normal rings with offset gaps between the first & second ring, because the rings move around the piston anyway, they'll never stay exactly in the same place.

I dont use the haltech to control boost, but definately will soon when i can buy the solonoid to do it.

Dont worry so much about the restriction from the AFM with the factory computer, worry about the fact that it cannot have the maps altered, and therefore allows you next to no flexibility for decent mods to the motor. the injectors are definately too small, but the malpassi will help with that.

and yeah, i sold my cooler for $500. I would have rather seen it on your toyota than the shitty nissan it ended up on Embarassed

Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Sun, 30 June 2002 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure why the top ring groove wasn't cut, I've only been dealing indirectly with the guy who owned all these bits so I'm not sure what his exact plans for them were, he just had a change of mind about the configuration he was going to run and needed to get rid of the bits he'd gotten together. From what I've seen the staggered gap style is where the gap in the actual ring is staggered rather than a clean break, rather than between the two, so the pressure can't push on a straight vector and exert as much force to push through the ring. Though with the gap between the piston and walls you metioned, as well as better sealing I probably will go for gapless ones.
Yeah I'm not too worried about the amount of air reaching the turbo, it's enough for it to easily run the boost I want at the moment. It's more that the AFM's taking up space I want to use for something else at the moment, and it makes it a fair bit harder to design a nice sealed cold-air feed from the front - but I can see why it would seem that's what I meant when I said restrictor (that's just one of the other things that annoys me about it, and it has kind of come to symbolise the old-style 'inflexible' management system to me, probably because it's one of the most visible aspects of it). The tunability of the management system is definately the main thing holding the engine back at the moment. Well, beside the stuffed head-gasket and broken ring-lands. That's going to be the focus of 'stage two', once I get a hold of a decent intercooler and the new engine's all settled in, and I actually have some more money, I'll see about changing that over. My engine's only got a short time to live so I thought I should replace that first rather than end up with a new managment system on a dead engine, this way I should have an engine that can make the most use of as programmable system too. Anyway, sorry for the long post - when I'm at work and there's not much to do I keep thinking of more things to ask or say. Take it easy, Chris.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 June 2002 03:57]

Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Thu, 04 July 2002 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there Chris.

If you are still after intercoolers, Keep checkin to ACT times on Tuesdays ($99 or less classies). I saw a 180 Sx I/C in the most recent one, with all the plumbing for $99. I've seen many I/C's in there and im sure some of em are better than that stock, piss weak 3T thing! Wink

you should see the set of mags and tyres i got from the Tue paper a month ago Smile I Love a bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Mon, 08 July 2002 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock, pissweak 3T thing? am i missing something here? i'm yet to see a factory 3T with any intercooler.

with the mods you have planned chris, make sure you get the right cooler first time. dont waste money on something you will need to upgrade, its only gonna cost more in the long run.

have you received all your parts? I had a chat to Jason up at Eastern Creek about them last week. sounds like a really good motor you're building!
Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Wed, 10 July 2002 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Dylo, that'd be good to remember, I've been keeping an eye on the saturday paper but that'd be good to check out, I'm after some cheap tyres as well.

Yeah I think you're right Phil, I'm kind of tired of going to the effort to set something up but at the same time thinking of how good it'll be when I get it set-up properly. I've been noticing some pretty nice coolers in the trading post, I just have to work out how much room I've got to squeeze one in. I'll probably try and get something with a really good core and, if need be, modify the end tanks to position the inlet and outlet where I need them and try and get a nice flow through. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your new intercooler cost (though I'm guessing you or a mate did a bit of the work yourselves)? Yeah with the state my engine's in at the moment I'm really looking forward to getting the new one in, especially with Jason's reports of how well his is going now it's sealing properly again. I grabbed the pistons to send away to have the ring groove cut and get a set of rings but I've left everything else with Jason so I don't have to pay for freight twice to get them back to him for the build (particularly didn't want to have to cart the block around). Should hopefully be in in about two months.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 July 2002 00:20]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CCG - 23 June 02 Wed, 10 July 2002 09:13 Go to previous message
chris

my intercooler cost next to nix, its a second hand truck core which I got for helping a guy out with some work, and a mate of mine made the endtanks to suit.

prolly a bit wide for the front of an RA28 though. the shortest truck cores seem to be 630mm.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1977 Toyota Corolla (4 SALE) Launceston TAS $1000 ONO
Next Topic:CBR - Gentech Performance?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:00:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006072998046875 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.