Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
X-R-Cist
Occasional Poster

August 2003

icon5.gif  timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 01:28 Go to next message
according to my engine manual, my timing should be around 10 deg.
i currently have it a little after 15.
would this cause any long term damage to the motor?
i find if i run the engine at 10 deg, it doesnt perform as i would like it to.

Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as long as it doesn't detonate. it wont do much harm in the long run.. it will just eat up alittle more fuel thats all
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ... I just found out why my 4AG was so doughy last weekend - timing was set at 10 degrees.

We tried to get more but this was already at the maximum distributor setting so we grinded out a bit of metal to allow more rotation. Is now set at 12 however I have mates who have run 18 and 20 degrees without any problems.

Will try to bump it up to at least 15 over the weekend if there's time.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all depends on the motor and the fuel. if using 98 octane you can get away with a lot more. if it's not pinging or detonating, it will be fine, except for the extra load you place on it with your right foot cos it goes better Wink also depends what rpm range you use it in, higher rpm=more advance.

4A is still a small motor so you can use a lot of advance.. iirc, Bill had his advance locked to something like 40+ deg.

i have mine (4K) set at 20-25 static, going up to about 40 with full mech advance.

advance it till it either pings (if you are adventurous Wink ) or you notice power dropping off, then go back maybe 3 or 4 degrees...
Cya, Stewart
X-R-Cist
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, im not that much of a tech head when it comes to technical terms, how do i know if my car is pinging or not?
also this detonation doesnt sound good...will my engine blow up or something? or is it just backfire?

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like marbles in a tin can Smile Sometimes its a lot quieter and you have to listen hard for it, thats the worst cos you don't notice it.

As for fuel, it will actually increase fuel economy on cruise and light load Smile
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run 37.5, don't ping.

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: timing adance Fri, 15 August 2003 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if it does ping, run it on PULP. If that fails, clean the heads of carbon with the water trick... and then retard the timing. I ran 13°BTDC on the Camry and the Corolla with normal ULP. Runs fine.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: timing adance Sun, 17 August 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run 30BTDC at idle on my 18RG, {thats cause i have to, my dizzy advance mechanisms are FUBAR'd}
it advances 5 degrees compared to about 25 Confused
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: timing adance Sun, 17 August 2003 09:00 Go to previous message
Most cars can do with a little more advance. The manufacturers specify lower advance settings to meet pollution laws.

At low spark advance settings, around top dead centre (TDC), you get better combustion, or in techonogical talk "more complete combustion". What that means is that more of the fuel is burn't. This reduces the carbon monoxide emissions.

At higher advance settings (before TDC), especially with the aid of high octane fuels, you can ignite the fuel before the piston gets to TDC and it will get a bigger punch as the piston is compressing as the flame is propogating. Problem is that it is a bit messy and a lot of the fuel don't get burn't that well.

Thats why if you don't advance the spark, they call it retarding it because.....maybe I shouldn't go there????
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Conversion
Next Topic:Best Turbo for a 4age??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:54:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047540664672852 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.