Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Audi-Tone
Occasional Poster

July 2003
corolla performance Fri, 08 August 2003 11:17 Go to next message
Hi, i own a 1984 corolla csx sedan and i've been told that if i take my air filter off (the whole thing) and run the carby as it is i would get more cold air into the egine, creating some more power?
or would i have to add a pipe and a different kind of air filter?

(bare with me, i'm noob Smile )

Thanx
Audi-Tone
  Send a private message to this user    
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corolla performance Fri, 08 August 2003 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK

Think about it
what does the air filter do...
it filters air so its cleaner

this not only keeps the engine cleaner but it will actually perform better with cleaner air

but yes it creates a restriction thats true so u may notice a difference

put simply
i wouldnt

or if you HAVE to do so get a performance high flow air filter

Ta
Mani
Audi-Tone
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: corolla performance Fri, 08 August 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thankyou for your kind kind input!
i realise this.. my mate, obviously doesnt care about his engine then..

no need to talk down like that...
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corolla performance Fri, 08 August 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calm down

i should have put a smiley face in there as tone is hard to percieve over the net

Smile Smile

was not having a go at you

one thing i cant stand is ppl that pay out noobs

Ta
Mani
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audi-Tone wrote on Fri, 08 August 2003 21:17

or would i have to add a pipe and a different kind of air filter?
(bare with me, i'm noob Smile )
Thanx
Audi-Tone

yup, pipe going from carby top to somewhere near the front of the car where there is cold air. you could use the good ol VN commondore airbox which is a whopping $30-40 genuine and comes with the panel filter! then put the intake form the box thru the radiator support somewhere, so it is not sucking in air prewarmed by the radiator (but not so it sucks in road dirt or rain)

you will notice a difference in summer, and may even get lower engine temps in hot weather. worthwhile doing cheaply, but not for over a hundred bucks...
Cya, Stewart

Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took my air filter and top of the air cleaner off when i went down the 1/4 mile..

I noticed a diffence just my filter is kinda dirty plus for the little driving i did nothing much could get into the carby (i hope)

BUt if you notice a differnce then your filter is stuffed Smile

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timing advance. give the dizzy a little turn and run 98ron
its safe, and a free mod until it detonates Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 12:06]

Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also adjust the valve clearance make them a little bigger should give it some more grunt Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mazda626 wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 23:06

Also adjust the valve clearance make them a little bigger should give it some more grunt Wink

smaller? so the valves open more?

some air cleaners ar eterrible and you notice quite a large difference when you rip them off... some are not so bad at all..

if this 84 is a KE70 with 4K, the air cleaner is crap and should be stomped on then burned, then stomped on some more...
if it's an AE8x with a 4AC carby model, same theory applies Wink

they are both pretty restrictive, and you will probably notice a difference at higher rpms, but for tootling, difference is negligible.

even using the stock air cleaner, with no filter element inside, and running a pipe from the air cleaner inlet to a pod filter (suitably covered so it pulls cold air) or a panel filter box, may be better than the crappy round filter it has now...
but maybe not Wink
Cya, Stewart

Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinkning of cam clearance Wink
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: corolla performance Thu, 14 August 2003 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i was thinkning of cam clearance

im curious.. how would that give you more power??? if you make the gap bigger from the lobe's max lift to the rocker arm then as far as i can tell all you would get is lots of cam noise (tappets) and bad clearances, therefore late valve action and lost power.. not to mention detonation.

please explain? Smile
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corolla performance Fri, 15 August 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

Also adjust the valve clearance make them a little bigger should give it some more grunt

ditto that IRally??
mrk1rolla
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: corolla performance Fri, 15 August 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the engine is a 4afc then you can buy a K&N filter to replace the standard paper filter, it fits exactly the same as the paper one.

However it does cost $140 Shocked

but i picked up a second hand one for $50, just needed a
clean Very Happy
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: corolla performance Fri, 15 August 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or just put a stocking over the carbie to keep any leaves out Laughing Laughing Razz and away you go.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: corolla performance Fri, 15 August 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate told me that if you take off the exhaust manifold there is heaps better flow at the expense of a little noise is this true?

i also put a bag of air in the freezer ready for the quarter mile do you think ill run 10's?

thanks you guys are the best!

[Updated on: Fri, 15 August 2003 03:17]

Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: corolla performance Fri, 15 August 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont mean adjust them heaps..

I adjusted mine from 0.300mm too 0.4500mm

With datsuns(a12/14/15) they have been adjusted too 0.8 inlet and 0.5 exhaust with noticable perfomance changes..
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: corolla performance Sun, 17 August 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I adjusted mine from 0.300mm too 0.4500mm

and what measurable performance gains did you get? got any figures? Im really keen to see if I can squeeze a little more out of my engine!!! Smile

Quote:

With datsuns(a12/14/15) they have been adjusted too 0.8 inlet and 0.5 exhaust with noticable perfomance changes..

gee ive played and rebuilt everything from A12's to L20's and ive never heard of that Sad can you tell me who has done it?? I would really like to talk to them so i can see what they did for the L20? as Ive been doing a bit of work with the one in my cousins 180B Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: corolla performance Sun, 17 August 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL, seriously tho, more clearance at the valves or cam means less duration and lift....

0.8mm clearance!!! holy shit!! did they tap themselves to death???
i would have thought more like 0.2mm would be better.. whay suge huge gaps?? doesn't it sound terrible??
and why larger gap on the intake when the exhaust valve expands more?
more info please... i'm a little miffed...
Razz Cya, Stewart
Seadog
Regular

May 2002
Re: corolla performance Sun, 17 August 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I adjusted mine so that the cam nver even touches the valve and now it really flies!!

C'mon really??
longhairedgit
Newcomer

August 2003
icon12.gif  Re: corolla performance Mon, 18 August 2003 21:15 Go to previous message
if you think about it valve clearances, bigger or smaller aren't going to have a lot of affect on lift or duration. thats set by the cam grind. it will however have an effect on your cam and valve train life. ie wear and tear. why do people get performance cams if it is as easy as setting the clearance? as for your air filter it's there to do a job too. filter. using a high flow filter or a bigger filter (more area to suck through) will have slight power gains yes. running a cold air intake with a ram effect like from a hole in the front spoiler to the filter box will really make a difference with a high flow filter. you would be crazy not to run with one. putting it in the freezer will last till you start your engine. colder air in, more O2 = more power to burn.....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Steering Wheel Vibrates @ 100+km/h
Next Topic:anyone recommend a good Diff Shop in Sydney ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 07:21:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061709880828857 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.