Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RT40 corona possible engine swaps

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
madcam
Occasional Poster

February 2003
RT40 corona possible engine swaps Sat, 08 February 2003 03:22 Go to next message
Has anybody done a repower of an RT40 shovelnose with a late model EFI motor? I was planning on using a 4AGE with a sprinter 5 speed but I am open to suggestions.Had some friends trying to talk me into a turbo rotary for a bit of fun but I would like to stay loyal to Toyota.I would prefer not to cut the body up as the car is in excellect original condition(my grandfather bought the car new in 1966!).Over 400000km's and still going strong on the original 2R.Oh what a feeling! Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Neuby
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Sat, 08 February 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what year model is the RT40?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Sat, 08 February 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen 2 RT72's with 'retrotech' upgrades. One had a 4AGE and the other had an 18RG. We put a 5R in an RT40 once but that would barely be called a massive upgrade.
I think a 3SGE would be a great engine to plonk in there. Of course, you'd have to north-south it, but that's been done plenty of times.

EDIT: RT40 came out in 1962 and ran thru till 1968 or so.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 February 2003 07:14]

madcam
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Sun, 09 February 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a 1966 model.
madcam
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Sun, 09 February 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the 3sge would be nice but a bit more work than I am looking for.Doesn't the north south conversion require quite a lot of mixing and matching of parts?Going up to a 2 litre would certainly be great in the grunt department.I'm a little concerned that a standard 4AGE may not quite be enough given the car weighs just over 1000kg.Perhaps a 4AGZE?
Don't they require a lot of mucking about to fit into a RWD car?
If anyone knows the person who fitted the 4AGE to the RT71,I would be interested to know some details of the conversion.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Sun, 09 February 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw those in various mags years ago. There is a nice article in the articles section about north southing a 4AGZE. Also talk to RA45Celica about the 3SGE - he's done a few of those.

Just remind me.....the engine mounts are almost at the front of the engine on those aren't they?
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Mon, 10 February 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4age is ok, 20v will just about kill yourself as I can testify to. Mate has a 1600s 2dr with 20v and 4dr with 4age. the 4a is well driveable, 20v is outrageous. Easy fit, just engine/gbox mounts + wiring. Just uses 5sp box.
madcam
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Wed, 12 February 2003 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice.I saw an article on a 1600s with a 20v a few years ago.Could be your friends.A 20V would be great but it is going to be a daily driver so i need to be sensible(I am known to be a bit of a maniac behind the wheel).
Your mate has a 4 door with a 4AGE in it.Got any pics posted anywhere?I am glad to hear it only requires mounts and wiring to do the conversion.Did the tailshaft need any length change?
any advice on the conversion would be apprectiated.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Thu, 20 February 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 20v is a fairly advanced conversion. Is the 40 a manual or auto? If auto it's much easier to fit the 5 sp into the tunnel. 20v requires mounts, tailshaft, wiring, fuel system, firewall mods (re distributor) or change to crank sensor.

4a only needs mlunts, wiring, fuel and t/shaft. know it's not much less but it's less the big mods and mostly requires bought bits. Am trying to find his drawings of mounts too.

Am trying to get pics 4 u. If you want any more details email me
clubagreenie@optusnet.com.au

Justin
fj20
Regular

June 2002
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Fri, 08 August 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
I own an FJ20ET 69 model RT40 Corona and a couple of stocky 68/69's.
A 13B Rotary 6 port is a good swap into an RT40. But If you want to stick with a Toyota. Lots of guys go the 18RG with a 4AGZE blower conversion.
A stock RT40 only weighs 920kg and they were made until 1970.
-Regards Mike
http://www.fj20.com/
20valve69corona
Regular

May 2002
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Fri, 15 August 2003 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

i also own a RT40 Corona 69 model,i'm just in the middle of putting a 20valve in, just wondering what would be the best and easiest diff to instal. What diff has other people used on their RT40's.

All the help i could get would be excellent.

Regards

Will.

If anybody has info could they reply to willreid@bigpond.net.au
fj20
Regular

June 2002
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Fri, 15 August 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
I use an Alfa 105 diff in my RT40. They are a good fit. Smile
-Regards Mike
20valve69corona
Regular

May 2002
Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Fri, 15 August 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet, any ideas where i could get onee from?

Also is there any mods that i need to do to make it fit.

what brakes are on the diff?
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: RT40 corona possible engine swaps Wed, 31 March 2004 08:34 Go to previous message
Bit late on this thread, but rt40 info is hard to come buy..
I am in the process of 18rgeu'ing my rt40,
Will eventually either turbo or supercharge using custom bits and pieces and a 3tgteu computer..
a few pics can be found at
classic-celica.50megs.com/corona.html

Still trying to find a front brake upgrade, but at this stage the next plan to try off the drawing board is rt80 stub axles with ra63 vented discs and custom calipers mounts..

Cheers
Logan

P.S. if you are into the old coronas, mikes site is excellent, check it out.

www.toyotacorona.com

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta23 car wiring diagram
Next Topic:TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:25:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078539848327637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.