F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Big HP Clutch's

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic

Big HP Clutch's Fri, 15 August 2003 14:38 Go to next message
I have just recently installed a 5 puck sintered brass sprung button clutch with seriously uprated pressureplate and modified pivot point etc etc....

the workshop that built it (not ordered it in , but made inhouse) assured me it would be up to the job (210 rwkw + 1600kg car, treated harshly). I had made it clear as well that i expected the clutch to be good for another 100rwkw as well since i plan to do a big single upgrade soon.

But i must say i am dispointed. Under what circumstances should a supposedly serious hp clutch hang on.

recently it has slipped on a number of occasions, i was wondering if i am just expecting too much, has anyone else got experience with such a set up and what i should expect.

Tonight for instance it slipped twice, entering an on ramp to the m4 tonight i lined up for a nice 2nd gear drift in the hairpin loop as it enters the roadway, a little scando flick, fan the clutch, tail steps wide and wind in the lock, round the 180 and 2 fishtails later almost on the limmiter in second grab third and ..... the clutch spins Sad

... and keeps spinning till i back off.

next time, pissed off about previous slip, decide to test it again.

rolling start.... easy 1st, rolling in 2nd, stab clutch with some throttle ( this usually just results in a 100m 80kph burnout) and it slips for about 2 seconds before it grabs and starts the rest of its 100m burnout.

It seems to grab hard when it does decide to...
but is easily over powered when flat changing the 1j like a fast downchange to 3rd on the freeway.

Sorry about the long thread but, i'm not sure if i should deliver this thing back and demand a better product.

Matt

juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Big HP Clutch's Fri, 15 August 2003 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont they recomend that after getting a new clutch fitted you should take it back and have it re adjusted once you have worn it in a little???? just a thought, going by something i have heard in the past
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Big HP Clutch's Fri, 15 August 2003 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the sounds of things, it's not sprung hard enough.

once the spring does engage those pucks are gripping and never letting go, but if you're flooring it then drop the clutch, the spring isn't strong enough to make the grab

I've got the same problem in my 1j - sometimes when dragging it just clutch burns until I back off.

give them a call, tell them the problem, and see waht they suggest (and inform them that the clutch isn't doing what they said it would.. in nice words)

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the plan is to take it back next week to discuss it with the guy that built it. If he can adjust it to make it work then fine, I will pay him for his time (he did not fit this clutch , they only build them), otherwise he can arrange to have it removed and i'll source a twin plate.

Matt

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMmm.... twin plate expensive goodness
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will find that you either did something wrong when you installed it or there is something wrong with your hydraulics.

I had a 2450lb pressure plate and a stock driven plate, and that held a 1700kg+ car with almost as much power as you have... and with no hint of slipping, even when badly abused (eg. burnout at the drags).

Then later I had a 5 puck button clutch with an uprated pressure plate... and it slipped! It turned out that the master cylinder needed a reco.

If the master/slave are shagged, the pedal needs adjusting, you have crap fluid, etc, then these can all be causes. Also, even the slightest bit of oil or grease on the flywheel or clutch will cause slippage.

I assume you bled the clutch, yes? And you did wipe the flywheel surface clean with metho or similar?

Be aware that once a button clutch starts slipping, there's no turning back. They tend to tear up flywheels pretty badly also.

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the clutch was installed under the supervision of an experienced performance workshop - we were very careful about dirt on the flywheel etc, everything even the bellhousing was spotless cleaned with metho.

The hydraulics issue is another concern, unsure how to test if this is the problem. besieds having everytnig replaced etc, not my idea of fun .... $$$

The slave cylinder was never disconected from the system so i didnt think there was any need to bleed the clutch. Do you think i should still try this ?

i would have though the problem was more in the clamping, as the clutch will disengage perfectly, if anything i cant adjust he pedal down far enough.

AGHHH

had enough

it didnt slip thismorning, even with the boost up so i am lost...

Matt

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how can i tell if the master cylinder is shagged ? it doesnt leak any fluid ..

Matt

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The slave cylinder was never disconected from the system so i didnt think there was any need to bleed the clutch. Do you think i should still try this?

Yes definitely! Your hydraulic system is now under the most load it has ever been (pushing heavier sprung clutch), so if anything was wrong it would become apparent now.

Thi is particularly important if your last clutch was removed because it was slipping.. that may have been the problem all along!

Quote:

the clutch was installed under the supervision of an experienced performance workshop

I wouldn't trust any workshop as far as I could throw them.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the hydrolics would only cause problems with disengaging the clutch. Not have anything to do with it clamping.

Just my ideas...

Joel
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very true! The hydraulics have nothing to do with the clutch slipping unless the slave isn't being fully released Rolling Eyes

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2003 08:21] by Moderator

Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The workshop in question is owned by a long term friend of mine, and what i meant by supervised is Me and a friend fitted it under his instruction and close supervision. He is a very particular and professional operator.

I too thought the hydraulics had more to do with disengaugement and not clamping, though i spose if the slave was slow to disengauge then so would the clutch plate.

It is fine in normal driving and even on hard upchanges etc, just maybe not some drifting techniques that use a lot of clutch as opposed to handbrakes. Am I asking too much ?

I will however this week get the fluid flushed and cylinders checked and bled with good quality fluid.

before quizing the clutch man next saturday.

Matt

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Big HP Clutch's Sat, 16 August 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who built the clutch

there is a place in penrith that are very good

we had probs with a kit from one mob
was a 1j and the clutch slipped in hi gears

we removed the clutch and sent flywheel clutch fork bearing etc
got all measurements aswell before and after we removed the clutch like height and etc

they tested the clutch and said its not strong enough

one word of advice if u have had a custom bellhousing and a custom clutch built to suit the bellhousing and to suit the new gbox then usually i have found the clutch not good enough

but if its a std gbox that came with the engine then best bet is buy a known name brand clutch
atleast u know these have been tested

otherwise take yr clutch to this mob in pernith and see what they say
i have heard they r very good

hey joel what u been up to

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2003 09:51]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big HP Clutch's Sun, 17 August 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Air in the hydraulic lines can cause a clutch to slip. Yes I know it doesn't make any sense, but I've seen it happen!
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Big HP Clutch's Sun, 17 August 2003 07:47 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote

Air in the hydraulic lines can cause a clutch to slip. Yes I know it doesn't make any sense, but I've seen it happen!

Exactly.

TurboRA28 wrote

I thought the hydrolics would only cause problems with disengaging the clutch. Not have anything to do with it clamping.

If there is contamination on the line, the slave may extend of its own accord (for example, contaminants may expand with heat). Also contaminants may stop the slave from returning correctly.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:solex VS webers
Next Topic:Aussie Springs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 03:00:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049788951873779 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.