Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Differences between GEN3 Supras Fri, 15 August 2003 06:36 Go to next message
This has prolly been asked numerous times but as i am thinking of buying a gen 3 supra or s13, i just wanted to know the differences between ma70 n ga70 supras besides the engine or is that all thats different?

whats the difference between the two engines?

Thanks

Its prolly a stupid question but im too lazt yo do any research myself as i am new to the whole supra thing Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 15 August 2003 06:38]

Send a private message to this user    
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Fri, 15 August 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thug_immortal wrote on Fri, 15 August 2003 16:36

This has prolly been asked numerous times but as i am thinking of buying a gen 3 supra or s13, i just wanted to know the differences between ma70 n ga70 supras besides the engine or is that all thats different?

whats the difference between the two engines? I know 1g is 2ltr twin turbo n 7m is 3ltr turbo, but spec wise, reliability etc.

Thanks

Its prolly a stupid question but im too lazt yo do any research myself as i am new to the whole supra thing Razz

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Fri, 15 August 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thug_immortal wrote on Fri, 15 August 2003 16:36

im too lazt yo do any research myself Razz

looks like people are too lazy to answer your question
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Fri, 15 August 2003 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not all the ma7x's are turbo, they come in turbo and non turbo

1g-gte - 185bhp, 173lb/ft torque (that's the gen2 1g, i think that's the one that in the mk3 supra, otherwise it's the 210bhp,203 lb/ft one)

7m-ge - 200bhp, 188 lb/ft

7m-gte - ~230bhp, 245 lb/ft

1jz-gte (available in the jza70 mk3, imho by far the best (and most expensive)) ~290bhp, 270 lb/ft

if you can find a jza70 for sale in aus, that's definitly the go (assuming you have a bit of money)
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Fri, 15 August 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only real differences depending on which ones you get are

*the taillights/nosecone were updated in late '88 onward models
*diff depends on which model of car you get (ratio, LSD/open, etc)
*engine (1g = ga70, 7m = ma70/71, 1jz = jza70)
*manual gearbox (depends on which engine you have, will have w58 for all ga70's as well as the non turbo ma7x, and the others will have the R154)

Aside from that they're much of a muchness. Probably some minor differences (I believe some/all GA70's came with 15" wheels and there are rumours of smaller brakes on some GA70's, but I've seen numerous with the 300mm ones so I'd say it's just a myth).
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Fri, 15 August 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Thanks for your replies, id love a 1jz but there isnt many around and bit too expensive. Is the ma the more common? I'll be looking for a ga70 i guess, what should i expect to pay for one in stock form? its either that or a silvia...

id prefer a toyota of course Laughing

Scott
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the MA is nice and common. the 1g-gte, on general consencus (sp?) doesn't have enough power to get the fat-arsed mk3 moving properly, so I'd me trying for fork out that extra grand for a 7m-gte
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's important to remember that only the MA70/71 was locally delivered in Australia; all GA70's and JZA70's are grey imports. Note that some MA70/71's are grey imports as well though, so check this out carefully if it makes any difference to you!
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie but yeah, it doesnt really matter to me Razz

Between the two, ma and ga, what one is more reliable if at all. I know they are prone to head gasket problems, any thing else that i should be careful of?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you re-torque the head, you eliminate most/all of the head gasket problems
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are after a manual one, you could probably get a 1GGTE one in good condition for $7-8k. If you're after an import 7MGE one you could probably get it a little cheaper than that... but a 7MGTE one (manual) would be more like the $10-$12k mark for a good one.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7M series engines are notorious for headgasket issues, but if you're looking for a GA70 or a JZA70 you won't have a problem because they don't have 7M's.
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sat, 16 August 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, as you know the 7M is not a bad motor once the head has been retorqued. You don't want a GA70, they are slow.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sun, 17 August 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everyone knows norbie was run over by a 7m-gte powered supra as a child and now has issues with anything 7m-gte powered Smile

basicly as i see it you have a few options

Get an MA70 non turbo local delivered - (no sport roof option) for about $7k and a 2jz-gte front cut do the work yourself probably end up spending $12-14k to end up with a really good car

Get an MA70 Turbo Gray import (any local delivered turbo ones are fucked or have mega km's on them) you get - sport roof, digital dash, LSD ect ect... cost in my case $10k and spent about $4k doing HG right and front suspension repairs

Get a JZA70 only 2.5 ltr so your on boost more often to get its heavy ass thru traffic other then that not too bad, pay fast and furious prices for anything jz powered!

Get a Turbo A MA70 with 200+kw from the factory YUM! rare but comes with momo interior top of the line Mk III supra!

on the silvia vs supra compleately different cars the silvia is an econo turbo car as you can tell when you sit in the cheapo interior the supra is a GT car - Grand Touring will cruise thru the mountans like melting ice on a nekkid gorgeous 20 something year old large brested blonde womans body on a hot summers night

Allan

EDIT: Does not have to be blonde denise richards would be a fine example

[Updated on: Sun, 17 August 2003 00:07]

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sun, 17 August 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a JZA70,

even the autos go hard, very hard. get a stocker and for $1500 outlayed make 190rwkw. It is a proven formula with no failures.

You can do like Allan , spend 14k and get a (maybe) reliable stock ma70.
or spend 15k and get a stock reliable jza70.

and as for the turbo A - i havent seen a fast one yet !

Matt

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sun, 17 August 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man allan, you sure know how to get my juices flowing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sun, 17 August 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 17 August 2003 12:37

man allan, you sure know how to get my juices flowing

im scared to ask in what way!

Allan
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Sun, 17 August 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yojimbo wrote on Sun, 17 August 2003 12:31

Get a JZA70,

even the autos go hard, very hard. get a stocker and for $1500 outlayed make 190rwkw. It is a proven formula with no failures.

You can do like Allan , spend 14k and get a (maybe) reliable stock ma70.
or spend 15k and get a stock reliable jza70.

Matt

Turbo autos all go hard nothing better then feeding a little throttle in 4th building boost and then kicking down to 3rd the world becomes a blur Smile

will see how reliable a 100,000km old 7m is should have another 100thou in her before its time for block work

and unfortunatly the only turbo a i have seen has been riced Sad

Allan
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Apparently the turbo A is a beautiful car a a LOT faster than the stock ma70.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's true. It's worth remembering though that the Turbo A is a waste of money if you're going to modify it at all. It has a better turbo, management and cams than the regular MA70, but these are all things you'd replace as part of the upgrade process anyway!
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 17 August 2003 10:00

Get a Turbo A MA70 with 200+kw from the factory YUM! rare but comes with momo interior top of the line Mk III supra!

It has a momo gearknob and steering wheel, the seats are leather (lard) - Rogo will verify this no doubt.

JZA70-R had bilsteins, a momo wheel and gearknob, recaro seats (see picture below) and trim bits, no cruise control and such, it's definetely the better buy over a Turbo A MA70.

http://www.turbosupras.com/images/interior/jbs/Recaro's%202.jpg

Get a GA70, remove engine, buy front cut and voila Smile

http://www.turbosupras.com/images/conversion/jbs/2jz%20installed%20and%20running%203%20med.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2003 05:41]

Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point. So basically no one should buy it. As if you would buy a ma70 and notmod it. Very Happy
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 18 August 2003 15:28

It's true. It's worth remembering though that the Turbo A is a waste of money if you're going to modify it at all. It has a better turbo, management and cams than the regular MA70, but these are all things you'd replace as part of the upgrade process anyway!

The Turbo A is also 1 of the heaviest A70's you can get.
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So let me get this straight... u guys recommend i either:

buy a 7mge n spend the extra on a conversion

or

buy a JZA70

am i right?

the JZA70-R, is that rare and expensive? i think i will have between 10-14k to spend so id be interested what you would all do in reguards to buying a mkIII supra

Thanks

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy the lowest k's jza70 you can.

Dont worry about type R's or any of that, not worth it.

You should be able to pick up a good example for your price range.

Matt

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont buy a ga70...you'll be dissapointed. The 7m has huge potential after the head gasket and big end issues are solved. the bottom ends are tough as nails...the most powerful ive heard of in terms of stock rods in 7m bottom end was a ma70 putting down 532kw or 712hp at the rear treds.

IMO buy a ma70, spend the cash and get it running right - fix the head gasket problem, if so replace it and start again. Once it is running fine then look at performance mods. the ct26 is a massive turbo, as you've probably heard t04 wheels fit in! So it has big potential for extra kw.

Im going to look at buying and doing up an ma70 when my ma61 is going again. these two supras are pretty much the only 2 of my cars on the wanted list. not to mention a 1969 mustang fastback convertible Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2003 13:15]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$10-$14k will get you a nice example of a jza70 import, which are typically in good condition anyhow. that's where I'd be going (not being 1j biased or anything Smile), that or look around for a local 7mge/gte, depends waht you want I guess.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Mon, 18 August 2003 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did the JZA-70R have exactly the same engine specs as the std jza-70's?
Were the R items just momo wheel/gearknob, recaros seats, bilsteins?
Just interested because my front was a manual jza-70R and came with the momo stuff and bilsteins etc.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Differences between GEN3 Supras Tue, 19 August 2003 00:29 Go to previous message
pretty sure, yeah
the engine itself was the same
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE into sprinter help
Next Topic:Corona strut into Celica. Wheel question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:43:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006533145904541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.