Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Mon, 08 July 2002 07:01 Go to next message
Theres definetly fuel squirting in the carby, and theres spark at the points (points are fairly new) but my motor (18r) wont start. I relize it could be a number of things but what are the more common reasons?
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Mon, 08 July 2002 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly eliminate bad fuel..has the engine been sitting for a while? drain out the bowl and use some fresh stuff, what sort of carby are you running?

really the only other major fault could be timing so get you timing light out and give it the once over Nod
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Mon, 08 July 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fuel is fresh, i think the problem might be that the little knob thing up inside the center of the dizzy cap is worn down, is that possible? Dosent the motor have to be idling to use a timing light?

[Updated on: Mon, 08 July 2002 08:12]

MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Mon, 08 July 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove a spark plug, plug it into the lead and have someone crank the enine whilst the spark plug is sitting on an earth like rockercover. See if you have spark there. If not it could be point gap, rotor button,dizzy cap,leads or plugs. If the carbon tip is missing from inside the dizzy cap it wont have spark either.It could also be that your timing is way out. Have you removed the distributor lately? It could be 180deg out. If you have spark and timing is correct then it could be that you arent getting enough fuel,too much or that its stale as previously mentioned.

Jamie.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 July 2002 08:25]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Tue, 09 July 2002 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sorry I meant to totally reset the timing from the crank to the dizzy, set crank at TDC (0 degrees), make sure the cam is aligned correctly and do the same with the dizzy. If youve got this bit 100% then youre half way there, replace any bad leads (you can test them with a decent multi to make sure theyre ok) replace the rotor button check the points are set correct. If you have all this right and you can confirm good spark at the plug then the most likely reason it wouldnt start then is theres a problem with the carb (unless theres some internal damage like cracked pistons or very worn rings).

Let us know how you go Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 09 July 2002 06:55]

JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Tue, 09 July 2002 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was the timing being out, thanks guys. But now i have a new problem. My battery is flat so i was using my girlfrineds to start it then she went out, later on i tried to jump start it off my mates car but it couldnt get enough power to crank it long enough (cheapo leads i reckon) so i put my mates batt in and when i turned the key i got nothing, the terminals were tight and i coudnt see anything wrong with wiring, any ideas?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Tue, 09 July 2002 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check that you havent knocked off the solenoid wire whilst playing with every thing else.....starter could also be jammed...put the car in gear and rock it a little back and forth then try and start it again. Also check to see you havent blown any fuses
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Tue, 09 July 2002 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked the fuses, i dont think the starter motors jammed coz when i turned on the ignition the CHG and OIL light didnt come like usual, it was totally dead, wheres that solenoid?
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Tue, 09 July 2002 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd be checking everything...... terminals, coil wires, etc etc.

I know it's already been discussed, but bad fuel makes a huge difference....... especially when it's contaminated with meths.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Wed, 10 July 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if youve got no dash lights you must have either blown a fuse...probhably the fuseable link attached to the +ve terminal (60 & 30 amp fuses) or not have the terminal connections on correctly ( also check the earth point to the chasis if you removed it)

The starter motor solenoid is attached to the starter motor, its where the big lead and the small plug in connector go to...check that both are connected securely

also check the dash fuses as well to make sure they havent blown
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Wed, 10 July 2002 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No blown fuses under the dash, but today i found in the engine bay two single 5A fuses both in plastic cases that have FUSER written on them (what are these for), they were both blown, i replaced them but one was a 10A fuse coz thats all i had, a guy at the servo said the 10A should work, its still dead, i think its a dodgy positve terminal coz the head lights and stuff dont work either when a full charged battery is connected so i will give it some attention and see how it goes.

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Wed, 10 July 2002 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the fuses have blown something must have triggered them, I would be looking at what may have caused it.
The two fuses you are describing may be aftermarket (Im not all that familiar with your car) and therefore installed by someone who may not have really known what they were doing, try and trace where they go to by following the wires and matching the colours elsewhere in the car. Did you check the fuseable link?
JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Wed, 10 July 2002 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These two fuses look like they have been there since the car come out in 76, they seem to come out of the wiring that runs from the alternator, they have probably been blown for a while, its probably why lately the CHG light has been coming on sometimes when the car/ignition is off. Tomorrow when I have access to my gfriends battery again i will make sure the postive terminal wires are all connected properly. What is the fusable link?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Wed, 10 July 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is the main fuse to you battery, its usually located in a small box or as a plug on the =ve terminal right on/near the battery, if the fuse is blown there will be no power to anywhere in the car
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Wed, 10 July 2002 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a throw in the dark but check the wires on the back of the key switch as sometimes these wires can break on the solder it doesnt happen often but i have seen it.it causes the car to brake down when ever there is vibration such as bumps in the road high revs etc it can also cause the car not to start sometimes and start fine other times
good hunting
caused due to no ignition so therefore theres no ignition lights as well,no radio no lights no nothing

[Updated on: Wed, 10 July 2002 11:34]

JonsonRA23
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Thu, 11 July 2002 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It started today, it was a dodgy positive terminal wiring. Now that its going again it has another problem, its snatching/missing whatever you call it when i try to accelerate, i thought it was the point gap coz it was a bit small, so i set it right with no improvement, the points are fairly new too. Can points wear out pretty quick sometimes?
I reckon the timings out so could it be that?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 July 2002 07:33]

Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting fuel and spark at points but motor wont start? Thu, 11 July 2002 08:01 Go to previous message
If you have touched the points in any way, the timing needs to be reset with a timing light. Bring it around I guess, I have a timing light.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Needed - Pic of ta22 with B45 simmons
Next Topic:2TGEU lack of reviness
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 22:35:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048270225524902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.