Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DLuded
Regular

June 2003
7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sat, 23 August 2003 10:54 Go to next message
I know I sould be asking this in supraforums but for some reason i can't post there. Anyway, when I rev my engine to about 4,000 RPMs in my supra and change gear it starts to sound like its going to explode. the highest i have changed is about 5,000 RPMs and i thought i had stuffed my engine due to the sound it was making. On the supra foums someone said something about clearance or something but I lost that thread. Does anyone have any idea why my engine makes such a bad sound at these revs?
THX

Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sat, 23 August 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more info on the type of noise, character of the sounds, when its worst, does it go away, how long its been doing it, and if theres anything else going on would be a little bit of help...
DLuded
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sat, 23 August 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just bought the car last week. the car sounds perfectly fine when changing gears at around 3500RPMs but as soon as it hits 4000-4500RPMs theres an extremely loud, what seem like, knocking noise coming from the engine. its not engine pinging because this is extremely loud. you can hear it from far away. the car feels a lot smoother when changing at 3500RPM aswell
DLuded
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sat, 23 August 2003 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the sound only occurs when reving from 4000RPMs and upwards so it only for a period of time less than a second when changing gears this high
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sat, 23 August 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a bottom end bearing - bad news. bad bad news

be wary of revving it that high, and watch to see if it starts creeeping down in the rev range. you could be up for an engine rebuild.

thats worst case

could be your crank pulley is loose
or something in the timing assembly

ed
DLuded
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sat, 23 August 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill take it to the mechanic to see what he says. hopefully, nothing too seriuos

anyway, i was thinking of an engine rebuild

any idea how much it would cost for a 7MGE? also should i do anything else whislt the engine is apart?
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sun, 24 August 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure on a 7M-GE, but you are probably looking at $2000-$3000 for a complete rebuild?
More if they "find" other things wrong with it(like with my stupid waste of money rebuild...*grumbles*)

[Updated on: Sun, 24 August 2003 03:38]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 7MGE supra shits itself above 4,000RPMs Sun, 24 August 2003 12:07 Go to previous message
M-engines are known for bearing problems. Part of this is due to the design, but mostly it's due to mistreatment and/or old age.

Normally it is represented by a rhythmic sound. Get a screwriver and, while the car is running, touch it to the block in a few different places. Listen to the end of the driver and you'll be able to hear where the noise is loudest. if it's definitely coming from the bottom end, she's shagged!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Convince me - may be able to get cheap bigport (please read)
Next Topic:help with hooking up a Speco tacho onto a 4A-C power Tercel
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:10:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057530403137207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.