Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » RIP = LRP ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boudan
Regular

June 2003
RIP = LRP ? Wed, 20 August 2003 13:51 Go to next message

Latest news i've heard coming from an RACQ Monthly is that LRP / Super will be discontinued as soon as 2004...

Perhaps its time to sell ? or is it time to save ?

There could be more than a few sellers of pre 85 cars - this will definetely hurt the price of classics but provide us with lots of cheap spares ... You decide !
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are actually very few cars left that require leaded fuel (or LRP). Almost all pre-86 Japanese cars run quite happily on unleaded. And if you really need an anti-VSR agent (eg if you have an ancient Holden or something), you can still buy that Valvemaster crap or whatever.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nooooooooooooooo! Shocked

My car runs like crap on unleaded. Looks like premium for me
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pft
you should be running it on premium anyhow Smile
Astro
Regular

August 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got an 85 RA65 and as far as I know, it has always been running on LRP. Does it hurt to go from LRP straight to ULP or PULP or should I progressively change.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always ran my ra65 on pulp, just for the extra octane. you should be able to change over straight away, no problems
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should try to get as close to empty as you can first tho of course
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg ... LRP is 95 RON
Premium Unleaded is also 95 RON

so ...
a) its the same RON
b)if your changing from LRP to unleaded.....use premium unleaded
c)your fat

Razz
Ta
Mani
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you convert from LRP to unleaded you should alter the timing, unless your going to the 98 octane premiums.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought the LRP had an additive which was supposed to protect parts of the engine from wear? Is it safe to go straight to premium from LRP with my 83' Sprinter?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigh, this topic seems to come up once a month or so. Rolling Eyes

To summarise: you have a Japanese car, so it's designed to run on unleaded fuel. Japan got rid of leaded fuel more than a decade before we did, and their engines are built with this in mind.

The only thing you have to worry about is octane; super was 95 RON, LRP is also 95 RON, but regular ULP is 91 RON. That means some pre-86 cars will run poorly on regular ULP because they're designed for higher octane fuel. Easy fix: use premium unleaded, which is a minumum of 95 RON.

Having said that, I suspect a stock 4A-C will be happy enough on pissweak 91 RON unleaded.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm just found this site,

http://www.bp.com.au/globalchoice/about_globalchoi ce/lead_%20alert.xls

It shows that indeed the Aus sprinter should run fine on Premium without modification.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since were around this topic, whats the octane rating on that caltex vortex stuff? i thought it was 98 like bp ultimate,etc but i was told its no different from normal PULP
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under the impression that LRP was puplp with addatives???
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run my car on the LRP cause it's cheaper than PULP. My car is a shocker to drive on ULP. When PULP is similar price to the LRP then I'll put that in.

A car will run on anything. A friend once ran out of petrol and had some 2 stroke laying about so in it went. Blue smoke everywhere but it still ran. He also ran a 93 falcon on deasil once cause yet again he ran out of petrol. He never recommends that one though. Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 21 August 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone's been telling you stories - diesel simply won't combust in a spark-ignition engine. Of course if you mixed a relatively small amount with petrol it would work, but with LOTS of smoke. You'd have to be pretty dumb to try it though...
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Fri, 22 August 2003 00:16

since were around this topic, whats the octane rating on that caltex vortex stuff? i thought it was 98 like bp ultimate,etc but i was told its no different from normal PULP

Vortex is 95 octane, not 98.
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corolla AE71/80/82 2A-C/4A-C Man/Trans:Premium ULP: Std timing 5o, Reg ULP: modify timing 0o @ 900rpm
and Sprinter AE86 Auto/Trans:Regular ULP std timing 0o

thats what it says for the 4ac

but it looks like you have to modify it
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Setting the ignition timing hardly qualifies as a "modification"! Laughing
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd call it "tuning", not modification.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd call it flogging a dead horse with a 4ac Very Happy
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont use Vortex(95 RON)....tis nasty stuff, BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax(98 RON) are the way to go in your PULP.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RIP = LRP ? Fri, 22 August 2003 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i use bp ultimate, the problem is that my dad works at caltex refinery and i would get a discounted rate on a star card. i heard the vortex wasnt 98 ron so ive stayed away from it.

looks like i'll continue paying full rate Sad
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Sun, 24 August 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 21 August 2003 16:28

I always ran my ra65 on pulp, just for the extra octane. you should be able to change over straight away, no problems

Unless you mean something 98 RON like OPTIMAX, you're wasting your money. Around here, anyway, premium unleaded costs more than LRP but has the same octane rating (95-92). Regular unleaded is 91-92 I belive.

BTW The ra65 requires LRP for the higher octane rating over regular unleaded, not for the valve seat lubrificationing. Also, I don't think we had unleaed at the time in 1985, which is the reason we have anlog EFI but with no O2 sensor, whearas other countries.

Here's something else... LRP is just unleaded + valve seat conditioner stuff anyway thesedays, so there's a lot of pre '86 cars running around with no cats. Remeber a few years ago now when the government was pushing for leaded petrol cars to try running on unleaded for the envoronment? hah.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Sun, 24 August 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you seen what lrp does to your combustion chamber? Check out your sparkplugs they will probable be bright orange. I dont like using it in our mini's i get seats put in. I have got better fuel economy using Ultimate over lrp as well.

Brad
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Sun, 24 August 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We're talking premium (ie 96 octane) unleaded vs LRP here, not LRP vs 98 octane unleaded. I have no doubt that optimax/ultimate is better stuff than the 96 octane stuff. Should be able to run more advanced. Can't buy it in Tassie yet though Sad. And, as Norbie says, all Toy engines since the (mid 70s????) have been designed to run unleaded.

Orange???!!! My sparkplugs are fine - what did LRP do to your combustion chambers?
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: RIP = LRP ? Sun, 24 August 2003 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Fri, 22 August 2003 15:29

Dont use Vortex(95 RON)....tis nasty stuff, BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax(98 RON) are the way to go in your PULP.

Care to support that with evidence?

Anecdotal evidence only, but I think my warmed over E15ET Nissan Pulsar EXA loved Vortex premium.
Volatile
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Sun, 24 August 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know if an '82 camira would be able to take PULP happily? (if so, what RON?)
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Sun, 24 August 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The combustion chamber and piston top looked like central Australia dirt. Whem we took the engine to our machinist he said he has seen a lot like that including a cosworth 1600 and early porche head. I dont know if its bad it just dosent look rite.

Brad
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RIP = LRP ? Mon, 25 August 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Sun, 24 August 2003 18:34

Alchemist wrote on Fri, 22 August 2003 15:29

Care to support that with evidence?

Anecdotal evidence only, but I think my warmed over E15ET Nissan Pulsar EXA loved Vortex premium.

http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?i d=15

Vortex Gold offers you the latest in fuel technology:
· Designed for use in all petrol-fuelled spark-ignition engines in mobile, portable and stationary applications, Vortex is a high performance, deposit control unleaded petrol.
· It contains technologically-advanced additives to remove and prevent build-up of performance-robbing deposits in your car’s intake valves and fuel systems.
· By keeping your intake system clean, Votex helps engines operate efficiently.
· Caltex Vortex can provide one-tank cleanup of port fuel injectors.
· With an octane rating of no lower than 95, and in some markets 96, will satisfy the Octane needs of most cars in Australia.

damn. doesnt satisfy my octane needs. caltex never listens to my needs. i want a divorce. and im keeping the car Sad

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 27 August 2003 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Fri, 22 August 2003 10:36

speakafreaka wrote on Fri, 22 August 2003 00:16

Vortex is 95 octane, not 98.

When i was working for caltex i was told it is atleast 96
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 27 August 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What RON level is Peak? Cause they are usually cheaper then most
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 27 August 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Wed, 27 August 2003 12:21

When i was working for caltex i was told it is atleast 96

Someone was telling you porkies. According to the Caltex web site it's 95.0 RON.

http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?i d=15
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 27 August 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Asked my mechanic he said that in his experience he would really recommend putting a catalyst in the fuel line before switching over to premium from LRP on my Sprinter.

Is this right? Anyone know about this?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 27 August 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find another mechanic. As has already been explained, any Japanese car built since the early 70's is designed for unleaded fuel (ie hardened valve seats), so leaded fuel or LRP is not required.

It amazes me how many mechanics don't know shit about cars! Rolling Eyes
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: RIP = LRP ? .. Thu, 28 August 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry about not having a cat. either, you are not hurting the environment anymore than u were with leaded fuel.

as far as catalytic converters are concerned, there is nothing worse about running unleaded in an old car than running super/lrp in an old car. The reason old cars didn't have cats is not because super/lrp doesn't have the poisons, its just because they have lead which clogs up the cat. They both contain the aromatic compounds. New unleaded cars are better because they have cats and help burn these compounds (once they are up to temperature).

As far as i know we moved to unleaded so that we could run cats to have better emissions, not to avoid lead. The lead falls to the ground within metres, and does not form lead dust, and is not inhaled.

I would be much more worried about benzene compounds coming out of the back of ALL old cars on unleaded or leaded or LRP.. and out of new cars where the cat hasn't warmed up.

both leaded and unleaded fuels contain the same amounts of aromatic compounds, including benzene.

anyway lrp costs less for the same RON, but i have seen weird looking plugs after running lrp, and pulp 'seems' to run better.

cheers

Chris
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RIP = LRP ? Thu, 28 August 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to bring up an earlier query, anyone know what the Peak brand of fuel level's of RON in its Premium is?
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 10 September 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to bring this up again but last week I filled up my Sprinter on PULP and I have found that after going out for 1 hour round trips and leaving it overnight it because a little hard to start. When it kicks over it blows a bit of smoke, could this just be a bit of gunk in the system?

Has a 4A-C which has done 255,000kms.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 10 September 2003 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, always ran my celica on mobil 8000 (forgotten all about this topic till it poipped up again)
I recommend BP or mobil. I've heard a few bad things about shell and caltex.. well, is caltex, tho I heard a rumour they'd upped vortex to 98 octane

the reason for the smoke might be the 4ac with 255000 kms Razz
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: RIP = LRP ? Wed, 10 September 2003 12:36 Go to previous message
Yeh I know the 4A-C is a pos Laughing but I dont have cash and wont for maybe 4 months+ for a 4age. Had this problem on LRP but not as bad, day after the fill up I got a very quick burst of a white miniture cloud forming behind the car. Rolling Eyes

It was filled up on Mobil 8000.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:project car
Next Topic:Know the laws!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 12:00:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058939456939697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.