Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
navysupra
Newcomer

August 2003

1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Sun, 24 August 2003 20:30 Go to next message
I live in north america, and I'm looking to put a 1uz into my celica. I'm wondering what sorta things should I look out for. My car has the solid rear diff, so I'm thinking of getting a larger diff, like out of a tundra or something with lsd, and getting it shortened and put into the celica. I want to run 2 ct-26's and like 12 psi of boost, or there abouts.

I'm just wondering how the w58 will hold up or if I should go to the r154, or what have you. ANything you can suggest to me.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Sun, 24 August 2003 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The W58 definitely won't handle the torque of a turbocharged 1UZ. Jamie's twin-turbo 1UZ Celica is proof of this; he's destroyed a few W58's apparently. Even an R154 would probably have a hard time, but it's a much better bet!

As for the rear end, you'd want something pretty solid; I'd go for a Hilux rear end as they're known for their strength, plus they're easy to find in a variety of widths.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Sun, 24 August 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Were Jamie's boxes the early ones or the Mk4 ones like yours?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea! The later W58's aren't significantly stronger though.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but ofcourse norbies w58 is mythically enhanced by his knowledge that he will one day destroy it Smiley =

just like my poor T series diff.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my knowledge Jamie has gone through 2 or 3 W58s from early supras and 1 W58 from a MKiv supra
navysupra
Newcomer

August 2003

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess I should know better, I've personally distroyed two trannys with the stock 22RE, and 3 sets of spider gears and on ring and pinion set...

I figure the r154 should take the beating, 'cuz the mkiii boys seem to put lots of power through them...

I don't even know what a hilux is... I don't think they are here in north america, and if they are, I've never heard of them. Can you get them in lsd? with disc brakes?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the R154 will not go into the celica trans tunnel without tunnel mods.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob: the required modifications are actually very small. A bloke on the CelicaSupra forums did it recently and there wasn't much to it.

NavySupra: the Hilux does exist in the US, but with a different name - Tacoma perhaps? It's a small truck available in 2WD and 4WD versions.

http://www.hilux.toyota.com.au/TWP/Upload/Image/141_b.jpg
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the whole tundra drive train, and a 2uz while your there. Twin turbo the 2uz as it has a cast iron block and is stroked out a bit.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep norbie im aware of this thats why i chose my words carefully, i am still technically correct... Cool
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, Hilux = Tacoma.
navysupra
Newcomer

August 2003

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 25 August 2003 15:15

Get the whole tundra drive train, and a 2uz while your there. Twin turbo the 2uz as it has a cast iron block and is stroked out a bit.

The only problem with this is that the 2uz is to heavy for my needs. The 1uz actually produces better horsepower, and in a 3200lbs car, I don't need the torque. the 1uz is lighter then a 5mge, therefore with upgraded suspension components in my celica, it should handle very well. There is a local place that will build me a custom 61L fuel tank so that I can run a very nice dual exaust setup on the car. right now my major task is going to be getting the 1uz(toyota version) to me. I can get the money to get the engine, and I'm probibly going to use my mkiii supra to get most of the parts I need (brakes and such) and convert my ra64 to 5bolt. i'm good with a mig welder, and I have a couple of good friends that are machinests so modifying the componets to fit my celica shouldn't be all that difficult.

Another question... how difficult would it be to put the tems from my supra onto the celica?

See, I kinda want the best of everything. if I go with the 2uz, its stronger, and bigger bore, but I sacrifice handling. the 1uz, I'll be very careful in the way that I build it, and keep my boost kinda low. the only thing I'm worried about is how I'm going to get the the engine to run... I don't know if I can get the ecu reprogrammed, or if I'm going to have to go with a standalone fuel management system. This is going to be a year project... if I can get all the components I need. I make enough money to support this, I just have to wait till my 300zx gets fixed so that I have another good daily driver.

any other suggestions that I should think about for my car?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Mon, 25 August 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll have problems sticking the A7 stuff onto the A6!!!

Also, depending on what year model the ECU is, you'll have problems using it. They tend to like to get signals from everything that will be missing in your application (like ABS, traction control, etc).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just been speaking to Jamie. He's destroyed 3-4 W58's, the only one thats held up he said was a late-model Mk4 W58 hes using with 250rwkW and 225 wide rear tyres.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't be worried about the strength of the 1UZFE. It was the most over-engineered engine Toyota ever built.

To meet the Lexus metallurgy standards it comes with forged pistons from the factory, and the block is a lot stronger than its all-alloy construction suggests. A group of guys strapped a couple of turbos to the sides of a 1UZFE they bought from the wreckers for about AU$1000. They attached this to a race-prepped auto and it run multiple low 9 second passes before the head bolts snapped. Rest of the engine held up fine, this is without being cracked open. You will need an aftermarket ECU, there is no headroom for boost pressure in the ECU.

If you are using the 2UZFE because you think it's stronger, I wouldn't bother. As for the bore/stroke ratio, the 1UZFE is already quite over square as it is. I'd say you'd definetly get the best balance of power/weight from the 1UZFE.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, Jamie just clarified, I got it wrong, its only one W58 he destroyed, but he thinks even that one was because of bearing failure because the oil got too hot and burnt.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark,

You can put aftermarket computer on a 1uz. I'm living proof Very Happy Most of the stuff like ABS etc. have their own plugs, so are quite easy to remove.

Justcallmefrank,

Most of the high boost 1UZs actually use the tundra block but 1uz heads. Ones like the twin turbo HKS supra, and the twin turbo new model celica (can't find the link atm.).

However stock 1uz are a very capable engine, and should be quite reliable up to about 400rwkw (I'm hoping).

NavySupra,

How much power do you want? If you put twin turbos on the 1uz it will be close to, if not heavyer than a 2uz, and if your only running low boost then is it worth it?
I'm loving not having to cool down my turbo before turning my car off. Sacrificed 25kw (peak) to do it though.

Theres a site that a lot of the 1uz guys go to now called www.lextreme.com check out the forums there, a lot of guys there know the engine well.

navysupra
Newcomer

August 2003

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have to go tt, its just the coolness factor there... but it would be nice...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Justcallmefrank,

Most of the high boost 1UZs actually use the tundra block but 1uz heads. Ones like the twin turbo HKS supra, and the twin turbo new model celica (can't find the link atm.).

However stock 1uz are a very capable engine, and should be quite reliable up to about 400rwkw (I'm hoping).

I know this. Personally I don't think the extra weight of the block is worth the supposed extra strength.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Tue, 26 August 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
navysupra, Thought so. Just put a 1uz in there with a w58 gearbox, would be great fun!
navysupra
Newcomer

August 2003

Re: 1uz-fe (tt) into a ra64 celica... help? Wed, 27 August 2003 04:56 Go to previous message
To say the least... and possibly very dangerous...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 - 2TGUE
Next Topic:Bolt on Brake Kit for a TA22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 05:44:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051488876342773 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.