Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RX7 calipers onto AE86.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 02:23 Go to next message
I've just had some adaptor plates machined up to fit S4 RX7 calipers and a 280mm 180SX disc onto Sprinter struts. It is all bolt up, keeping your fully sik suspension and not affecting camber. Haven't been driven or engineered yet though.

If anyone is interested in drawings or CAD models let me know and I can email them or get someone to host it all. The only drawback is around 4hours of machining per side, so hideously expensive (~700 a pair) if you can't do it yourself.

Hen
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do the plates look like? Do you have any pictures?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email to s.michelmore@minorplanet.com.au that would be great!

did u get them CNC'd up?
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard that RX7 brakes have a very short life compared to toyota ones.
In the Bathurst 12 hour race mazda were replacing their brakes every hour while the MR2 brakes weren't due to wear out until about hour 20 from memory.

Just thought you might like to know.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Photos coming soon, would have looked better before I painted them matt black. And Steve, brake life would depend on pad and rotor selection and use, I don't think the calipers themselves inherently need heaps of maintainence. Also, were the MR2s back in the workshop getting their brakes done at hour 20 of the Bathurst 12 hour?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are some happy snaps:

http://homepage.mac.com/robinjp/.Pictures/benscaliper/IMG_2952.JPG.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/robinjp/.Pictures/benscaliper/IMG_2953.JPG.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/robinjp/.Pictures/benscaliper/IMG_2955.JPG.JPG
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveM: i have never heard that before in my life.. i used to have an RX7 and before i was into toyota's i was into rotaries..

Put it this way.. S4/5's are getting on 15+ y/o's now.. and their brakes from factory are working fine on most cars!

i think in the 24 hour races tghe problem was PAD selection not the actual units.

S6 brakes are exactally the same as S4/5 except they are made of alloy as apposed to cast alloy.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice. I'll take the drawings thanks. shanej@iinet.net.au
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice work dude !
$700 per side ! bugger me ! haha
could you please mail me with the design stuff?
Its worth trying to find out if someone can machine that over here in perth.
alemc@iinet.net.au
thanx dude
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can host it all for you mate
just email me the files

PM me for my email addy (dont want MORE spam)
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I did mean hour 20 of a 12 hour race.

It was a mathematical calculation of when the brakes were due for an overhaul.

If you are going to use different pads and that you could do well.

Good luck with the project, I hope it works well.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome man
id love to see the cad files
Josh@kaizentek.com.au
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mee too

paul@whk.com.au

cheers
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me three Very Happy
jzho9523@bigpond.net.au
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 02 July 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, maybe I should get this stuff hosted. PM for you ae86drift. But it will be sketches only, for various reasons I don't want to publicly post the CAD maodels.

I am willing to email them individually to people who can actually open them. This requires a 2003 version of SolidWorks (big and expensive).

Also, if any of this helps you then please consider the hours of measuring, prototyping and maths that I have done and sling me a bunch of beers or some cheap parts.

Am flat out right now so this may take a coupla days.
Hen

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2003 13:45]

sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Thu, 03 July 2003 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just the thing i need.
It would be much appreciated if you could help with the drawings.

My email address: coolj@firedream.net

Thanks

James
gtvolv
Regular

November 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Fri, 04 July 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

gtvolv@iprimus.com.au

Thanks..
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Fri, 04 July 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just spoke to my machining guy, and $700 a pair was only because it was a once off item. If he was doing 6-8 sets then it'd be more like 450ish. If anyone is serious about getting a set of these then we could do a group buy. May want to wait and see if they work/can get engineered first.

Hen
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Sun, 06 July 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drawings are up.

Check http://www.digitalfunk.net/Garth/ae86/brakes/brake s.htm
The capitals ARE important.

And they have got the nod from an engineer. The guy at IDB who does this often uses a similar plate, but made from alloy.

Also, can anyone do an finite element analysis of these?

Hen
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 27 August 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there an engineer someone could recommend to get a set of these made up? Preferably in Syd.

Regards,
Joel
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 27 August 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a guy called Robert Kubacki at Definite Dimension Engineering, 9822 8374
they are at moorebank
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 27 August 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a copy of NASTRAN I could do a FEA of this part what form are the drawings in?

I see you have 3d models. Good start should not be two difficult to setup an an FEA model from this if you could email me copies of the 3d models I am sure I could sort something out. By the way what package is the drawing done in? You may be able to give me it in the original format if it is in PROENGINEER, CATIA, SOLID WORKS, MICROGRAFIX, AUTO CAD and I can then convert to the necessary format.

I will need material strenths and braking force.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 August 2003 06:13]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 27 August 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Henn said in an above post :

I am willing to email them individually to people who can actually open them. This requires a 2003 version of SolidWorks (big and expensive).
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 27 August 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 - subaru_wrx_parts@hotmail.com

thanks
Andrew
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Wed, 27 August 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a solid works version7 I think at least 2002 version so if that is compatible(should be) send me a copy and I will start on the FEA. Yes big and expensive in some contries Very Happy
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Thu, 28 August 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry,

my solid works is 2001 version, so if 2003 is incompatible a iges fromat will suffacice.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Thu, 28 August 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone got a copy of the CAD files to send to Roger?? Henn?
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Thu, 28 August 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think this is a worthwhile bump. Very Happy

Im interested in the way this is going. Maybe if everything works out good we all can go in on a group buy.

Cheers
Andrew
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Thu, 28 August 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think heaps of ppl would be interested in a group buy..
I am Smile
Of course we have to give credit to Henn for doing all of this.. Well deserves it and if you were in Perth buddy you would get a couple beers Smile
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Fri, 29 August 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I haven't noticed this for a while. I can send people the files, but they really need SolidWorks 2003. I tried opening the files at uni on a 2002 version and it didn't work.

Roger, I'l investigate the IGES format or whatever it is. PM me your email and a list of formats that you can use.

These are now bolted up to my car and ready to go. Just waiting on wheels. It all fits beautifully.

If there is really enough interest around then the guy who did mine would be happy to do more. Of course price would depend on numbers, but what is the feeling??

Henn
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Fri, 29 August 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit yes !
I have 15" SSR rims atm with +3mm offset atm.. Do you know if these still fit over the rx7/180sx disc combo?
If not ill cry.. haha
But yeah im sure many ppl would be interested in a group buy thingy.. Get rid of these crummy aus spec brakes !

Alem
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Fri, 29 August 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Henn,

Solidworks 2003 or any industry used format would be fine
with me. - them brakes need to go!

If youre going to be doing a batch run, count me in.

Thanks

James
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Fri, 29 August 2003 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ben, to help boost numbers for the group purchase, i'll buy a set...
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86. Sun, 31 August 2003 21:35 Go to previous message
Anyone have an update with the CAD files?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Making a Wolf3d set up for a 13b run an 18rgeu.
Next Topic:Installing rear swaybar
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 14:39:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087828636169434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.