Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Sun, 24 August 2003 05:31 Go to next message
Hello, just had Noltec fit my RA28 lower trailing arms with new urethane bushes.

Was fitting it all back together today but the original bolts don't fit anymore. The old ones are around 14mm, the new tubes through the trailing arms appear to be more like 12mm.

Has anyone else found this? Did you just buy new bolts? I wanted to check first to make sure I didn't get the wrong bushes or sometihng.

Thanks
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Tue, 26 August 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a chat to Noltec and they said to try drilling the tubes out instead of fitting smaller bolts. So brought a $30 drill piece just to f*&k up the tubes.. Even in the drill press I couldn't get it precise enough.

Ahh well thats my rant.. pissed of now..

Will talk to Noltec again tomorrow and tell them to supply the correct tubes for the car.

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Tue, 26 August 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sux mate. I'm surprised they suggested drilling them, surely they should just supply you with what you ordered.

I fitted SuperPro polyurethane bushes to my TE72 trailing arms a couple of months ago, had no problem, they were a perfect fit.

Cheers

Phil
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Tue, 26 August 2003 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All sorted now..
Went to see Noltec this morning and Greg there was really helpful. Said no way I could have drilled them out without a lathe. He went out the back and came back a minute later with 4 new tubes the correct size. Apologised heaps for all the stuffing around.

So a free plug to Noltec.. Good to see a company can handle a situation that goes partly bad.

Their shop is nicely setup too with lots of coilover setups etc on display. I had limited time so couldn't discuss it much but their coilover conversion hardware seemed resonably priced, especially with the Toymods 25% discount.

They also sell adjustable trailing arms for the early Celicas.

Cheers
Joel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel,

any ideas on what the adjustable trailing arms are worth, I am thinking of making my diff geometry adjustable when I do the conversion, these trailing arms would make the job somewhat easier.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony this is a pic of them rods

http://members.optushome.com.au/lrwilliams/armsandrod.JPG
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They look like the upper arms, any idea if they do the same for the lower ones??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any different between having upper trailing arms or lower trailing arms adjustable?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha sorry Anthony didn't see you already asked that question...

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess normally it doesn't matter because you would be using them to adjust the yoke angle of the diff after it has been lowered. (When you lower the car, the yoke drops which means the uni joints have a bigger angle to cope with)

I am thinking of making the bracket where the lower control arm attaches to the diff adjustable. This means I could adjust the thrust line, a bit like a poor mans ladder bar set up. Having adjustable lower trailing arms could allow for finer adjustments. I haven't looked into wether the finer adjustments would make much of a difference, but if you can get the parts, why not make it better.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats similar to what Youngy with his AE86 on these forums did..

Where the lower trailing arm connects to the diff housing, made that bracket longer (lower towards the ground), with different holes at different heights. Used in conjuction with an adjustable trailing arm.

Made for a lot of adjustment. He was saying that its a good thing to bring the trailing arm back to its original angle once the car has been lowered.

Cheers
Joel

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So any idea on a rough cost for the adjustable arms?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was playing around with a SS commondore ute this morning, having a heap of fun. Anyhow as you know the back of my car sits a little closer to the road than most and it has really compromised the handling of it. Well we were having fun, but I change into second and the ass starts squirming all over the place and I'm not really getting anywhere in a hurry. If the rear suspension was working properly, I would have wasted him.

I guess it does add to the fun factor, I guess it is probably a good thing that my plugs are stuffed and it is missing under boost.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I find hitting 2nd hard in the Celica doesn't get you anywhere fast either.

I put this down to seriously needing an LSD, and yeah as you say compromised rear end from lowering.

If I get a chance today will call up Noltec and find out the going price for some adjustable trailing arms (preferably lower ones as could be used in conjuction with adjustable mounting point - is this called a traction bracket?)

Cheers
Joel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Noltec trailing arm bushes - original bolts dont fit Wed, 27 August 2003 23:41 Go to previous message
Yup same kind of thing but adjustable.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WERE CAN I GET A REBUILD KIT 4 MY C12 TURBOS
Next Topic:gze idle problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:13:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077760219573975 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.