Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JimmySR20
Occasional Poster

August 2003
SR20 Conversion Options Wed, 27 August 2003 23:25 Go to next message
Hey there, Im a newbie to the forums but a long time rev head.
I have done an sr20 into a gemini conversion before but never an sr20 into a toyota of any kind.
I got an sr20 at home and I am itching to put it in a TA22 or RA23 Celica. I reckon ill piss it in in terms of engine bay space etc. But two things were worrying me:

Diff - Are there any tough LSD's that are gonna handle close to the 200KW mark that will bolt up to either of these cars?

Front Clearance - I want to squeeze in a front mount intercooler. HAving not dealt with these cars too much I dont have a good idea of the front supports etc. How difficult do you think cutting and mount an intercooler in will be. And Im talking a fair sized intercooler.

Also If you have any opinion on which of the two cars I should be going for let me know, but please make sure you give me a reason not just a rant. Oh and one last thing..... whats the lighter of the two cars? As power to weight is a big factor in a conversion like this. Mind u the car cant be too light or It wont be legal. Anyway cheers for the help
  Send a private message to this user    
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I'm aware you can put a 2 litre turbo engine of any description into any celica... I've just put a 2 litre 6 twin turbo into a ra28 no dramas...

Ask around though.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One other thing is that using the Nissan gearbox, the factory shifter usually comes back a few inches further at least than the original one.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely get an RA23 - it has much more engine bay space, which could be a significant factor as an SR20 ain't exactly small. RA23's have LOTS of room for an intercooler as well. TA22's have a decent amount of room, but not as much. RA23's also have a good sized radiator, unlike the tiny one in a TA22. The front end suspension geometry was vastly improved in the RA23, not to mention the much bigger brakes. Basically you'd be silly to get a TA22 unless you really prefer the looks.

As for weight, the TA22 is approx 960kg while the RA23 is a shade under 1100kg. Most of the difference is in the engine and drivetrain though, so after you've done an engine conversion I reckon the weight difference would be pretty small.

The rear end found in TA22's and RA23's will never handle 200kW, and LSD's aren't easy to find. You'll definitely need a diff conversion, and I'd recommend a Hilux diff; it's very tough, LSD's are easy to find, and if you get the right one it won't even need to be cut down. Do a search if you want more info as this has been discussed in detail on these forums.
JimmySR20
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In your opinion do you think its worth while to spend the money and get a brand new hilux diff?
Its gonna be $899 or I can get a reco one for $590.
Should I just spend the cash and get the new one...... that way ill most likely get a warranty etc with it. Or is the reco'd one gonna be sufficient and I am stressin too much on it.

By the way thanks for the tip on the ra23 i like the look of em better anyway

Cheers Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most people go to the wreckers and pick up a Hilux diff for around the sub-$150 mark. You then need to get the mounting points moved.
Later on you can pick up a recoed or secondhand LSD centre for them for a relatively good price. As the G-series is used in 4WD's, you can find a variety of aftermarket centres for them.

You're not likely to break them! They are very strong! Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the rotor boys regularly use Hilux diffs in sub 10 second drags cars... they've gotta be pretty strong to withstand that sort of punishment!
JimmySR20
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW! I knew they were strong but not that strong, bit of an eye opener. Thanks for the help guys its really appreciated if you can think of anything else im gonna have problems with please share your knowledge. I already know im gonna need to get custom engine mounts, custom sump and probably either mod or custom tail shaft too. What about cross members??? I know on the Gemini I put an sr20 in I had to change em but the Celica manuals are a lot more similar to an SR20 5 speed than a 4 speed gemmie box hehe.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You may not need a custom sump; it depends on the sump arrangement of your SR20. The RA23 crossmember is designed for a mid-sump engine, but you can easily swap in a TA23 crossmember which suits a front-sump. Swapping crossmembers is a lot easier than fabricating a new sump!

I've heard that SR20 gearboxes have a large bellhousing which often fouls the transmission tunnel; I know this is a problem when swapping SR20's into early Datsuns. That's something to look out for anyway, as the Celica transmission tunnel isn't exactly huge.
JimmySR20
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: SR20 Conversion Options Thu, 28 August 2003 05:08 Go to previous message
How difficult is it gonna be to mod the tranny tunnel????
Confused I think I might leave that one to the experts if it needs to be done anyway. Oh and just to let you know, I just contacted a mate of mine (auto engineer) and he reckons swapping the cross members will do the trick for the sump so kudos for the idea. Much easier and cheaper than getting a sump fabricated. Also hanging a front mount of it is simple as. There are apparently 4 supports for the front grille. You cut out the two centers reinforce the two side ones and build a T bar between them mount the brackets for the intercooler off this and then reconnect the grill to the T bar at the top between the two supports. Its actually supposed to be stronger than the original supports however depending on the thickness of your cooler you might have to do a bit of bending. My sources tell me an oxy is the way to go for this
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:21-rc - 1g-gte conversion in ra-60 celica.
Next Topic:fuel regulator 3rd gen 1GGTE where to buy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 08:27:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045380592346191 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.