Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sat, 13 July 2002 03:34 Go to next message
I've got an 18RGU in the shop pulled apart ready to be built up for a turbo, EFI and 300hp at the wheels to put in my RA28,
but... I'm kinda in a bit of a stressful situation. I could make the motor do exaclty what i want but i'd have to pay a LOT of money. I've been think'n that if i did that it would be great; it'd look great/fairly original/and would be a great 2 litre beast with lots of torque and great rev range, And it wouldn't take too much to make it all legal either.

My question is, i've seen a couple of Ra28/3's around with 3TGTEU's, 1J's, and 3SGTE's. I'm just wondering how easy it was/is to do to convert the motors over to a RA28/3, and was it worth it. I really only want a 4cylinder, so i can count out the soarer and supra motors, and i dont really want a 4AGZE(converted to turbo) cause they're getting pretty old like 18RG's and the fact that they're everywhere in everything. I want to be as unique as possible.

So it leaves me with the 3 series. I know 3SGTE motors a great, and the twin spark 3TGTEU's are alright too, but which would be better, in relation to cost and power???

How much would it cost to do the whole conversion? What gearbox should i use and with what diff etc...

I need as much info as possible so i know what the conversion entails. PLZ help I need to know soon, before any work gets done to the 18RGU.

Any thoughts/opinions would be taken greatly!

Thanks guys/girls
Ben

Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sat, 13 July 2002 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i hear the 3sgte's are not the most budget friendly for motor conversions - they wield excellent results - but you pay for it ..

My chouce would be use the 18rg you have and build on it with a turbo or supercharger .. For one - its easier to hook up to your existing gear ( no need to swap from east west to north south on ther block ) 2 the block itself is meant to be in the car age wise , and three the 18rg's are a really good twin cam motor ..

for ease of install id keep the 18rg - one of our CCCQ members has a turboed 18rg ( blow thru carby/turbo ) and its wicked Smile

Same thign applies for me - ID probably go a super/turbo charged 2tgeu or a 3tgeu - cause they pretty much bolt in with minimal fuss if i chose to go more modern a powersource in the ta22
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sat, 13 July 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW sbyder - when are we gunan see you at the Brisbane celica club - Smile you have to travel about 15 more mins tham me to roll up - and ive seen you in Ipswich ..

You might have seen me some time - I have the old red ta22 with big Steel chromed mags - and the ultra noisy piggy weberfed 2TB puttering about town .. Im in ipswich at least 2 times a fortnight to do stuff cause my housemate works in the city centre Smile

Look forward to seeing you at the club one day Smile

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sat, 13 July 2002 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd offer an alternate view...
with the money you'd have to spend on an 18rg to get it to 300 horsies (forged internals, new gearbox, etc etc) you could probably do the very expensive install of a 3s-gte

plus with a 3s-gte you can always go back for more power if you want it, whereas I'd guess 300 is about the limit of the 18r-g
and the 18r-g is OLD, parts will become scarce (sp?), but since you'd have to go mostly A/M components, that may not be such an issue.

if you're looking to spend that much money, I'd probably be inclined to go the 3s-gte ... but it might be best to look around for someone who has done the conversion to get exact figures
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sat, 13 July 2002 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All a matter of what you want really! Personally I'd choose the 3sgte, simply because its newer and has more potential. That said, you may get unlucky just bolted in an old, well loved 3sgte without a rebuild (depending how its been treated!) However, getting the newest one you can (st205/215 or later MR2) may allow you to avoid this. With the 18r, expensive engine building parts are a certaintity (e.g. pistons, rods), although making a 3sgte RWD can be a downright pain in the arse too...

For the most potential and most friendly result, 3sgte. For the sake of trying something and showing us all that an old dog can indeed learn some new tricks, go the 18R. Easiest? 3tgte with a different turbo, say a ct26, and new management/cooler. This could still produce some reasonable output though, so long as you don't bust the engine! (i.e. CAREFUL tuning and not too many revs)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sun, 14 July 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note that a late 18R-GEU can handle 250bhp with only external bolt-ons. If you really want 300 or more you should be looking at forged pistons, but the rest of the bottom end will cope just fine. This is the advantage of going the 18R-G route, you can build the engine up as your wallet allows.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sun, 14 July 2002 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much would a 3SGTE conversion cost, compared to a EFI turbo conversion on a 18RGU. What would be cheaper and more worthwhile. I seem to be getting mixed opinions. I know whats entailed in the 18RGU conversion. But i'm not sure on prices. I know i can get a 3SGTE front cut from a GT4 for $2220, and a back cut from a MR2 for $2200. Which motor should i use and with what box? I really need some people that have done both conversions 18RG turbo and 3SGTE or knows about doing the swaps to lay out the facts on what needs to be done and the costs entailed.

I'm interested in doing a 3SGTE conversion but if its going to cost as much or more as doing up the 18RGU then i don't think i'll bother.

Basically I want the cheapest 4cylinder method to achieve a quarter in 12sec, and be reliable and legal at the same time.

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sun, 14 July 2002 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seeing as your in QLD you might want to get a hold of Trevor with the 3S-GTE in his TA22 and go over and have a look/talk with him..

he posted recently his quarter mile time..

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/msg.php?goto=14 674&rid=19&S=e8a9d4f757215cefa0da7535ee415 ddc
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sun, 14 July 2002 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know about the 3sgte how ever i personally have 3tgte in a ta22 and it was a easy convertion with the mounts on the 3tgte being in the same place as the 2tg-2t one so as long as u get the mounts with the motor as the mounts on the 3tgte are slightly higher to acomidate the turbo.
i have herd that the exaust manifolds from the 3tgte fit the 18rg but this is only heresay so ull have to do some research to find out if so maybe this would be the go.
sorry i cant help any more
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help Me decide??? 18RGU Turbo or 3SGTE Sun, 14 July 2002 11:22 Go to previous message
3T-GTE manifolds definitely don't fit on the 18R-G. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 4WD setup in stanard celica?
Next Topic:18RGZEU or 18RGTEU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 18:28:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037610530853271 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.