Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Advancing Timing on 4AGE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Advancing Timing on 4AGE? Wed, 27 August 2003 22:48 Go to next message
Just wondering how you raise the timing on a 4AG engine - the factory setting is 10 however my engine's been bumped up to 13 after drilling out some metal from the distributor to allow more rotation. This seems to be the most I get out of it ATM.

We've even swapped the gear clog in the distributor 180 degrees around however had to put it back the way it was given that it had too much advance and the engine wouldn't start then.

Does the 4AG ECU interfere with this and compensates for any adjustment? Does a wire need to be by-passed in order to get better timing?

I know of mates who have 18 to 20 for their timing and would like to bump mine up around that figure if possible.

Any suggestions / ideas are greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
1bam777
Regular

May 2002
Re: Advancing Timing on 4AGE? Thu, 28 August 2003 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DH,

If you have the proper AE86 4AG wiring loom for your car, then have a look for a small yellow 2 pin plug (might have a cover over it) dangling from the wiring harness that runs over from the wiper motor to the engine itself.

By shorting the 2 pins with the igntion off(loop a wire back into itself) then turning the ignition on, it should go into check mode on the ECU. To confirm this, have a look to see if the check engine light is flashing on the dash (provided you have one).

Start the motor up and set the rpm to about 650. Set the timing to 12-14 degrees BTDC.

Then when you have finished, turn the car off and disconnect the jumper wire across the yellow plug.

Go for a drive around the block, and listen for pinging. You should use only premium unleaded.

Any problems, call me.

Cheers.

Zack
0417 904 144
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Advancing Timing on 4AGE? Fri, 29 August 2003 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for that Zack ... I heard about it from a mate as well but didn't have time to ask him how to do it in detail.

Just to clarify (too dark to check now) but which yellow plug is it? Pic of the engine enclosed ... it's probably one of the 2 yellow plugs which have been cable tied together? I'll have a decent look tomorrow.

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/4AGE%20Engine.JPG
1bam777
Regular

May 2002
Re: Advancing Timing on 4AGE? Fri, 29 August 2003 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DH,

Its the smaller one.

Let me know how you go!

Cheers

Zacky
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Advancing Timing on 4AGE? Sat, 30 August 2003 12:44 Go to previous message
I believe its the smaller one that has the brownish plug on the end.

Be sure to take off carefully, makes it kinda hard to put back on when its damaged.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 Boost Arrangements Question
Next Topic:Removing over worn drums
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:51:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046501159667969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.