Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Fri, 29 August 2003 07:29 Go to next message
Just guaging interest??

These are machined adaptors which bolt up to stock sprinter and bite 180SX discs with S4 RX7 calipers. There is a post with detailed info about it named "RX7 calipers onto AE86"

Post a reply if you are serious about it so all can get an idea of the numbers. Price may be 4-500 a pair including locators for the hub.

Hen
  Send a private message to this user    
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Fri, 29 August 2003 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I would be interested....

But depending on when they should be available and whether you can send interstate.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Fri, 29 August 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also interested .... lets see how many more ppl will be interested

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Fri, 29 August 2003 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Count me in
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Fri, 29 August 2003 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Count me in also. I would like to check if they are going to fit on either a RA28 or XT130 strut. But as these are similar to RA40 items, which people say are similar to AE86.. It might all be good!

Will need to take some measurements. But yeah very keen depending on the time frame etc. Hoping to get something sorted soon.

Cheers
Joel
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Sun, 31 August 2003 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im interested too.... But it depends on price ;p

Any ideas on how much better this setup would be compared to MA60 supra brakes on the sprinter?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Mon, 01 September 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it looks like this is getting up to the numbers needed to make it a reasonable exercise. Currently I plan to leave it for about 2weeks to get a group together then it should hopefully be two more weeks to get them made and sent out.

Like I said price should be 400-500, will be more definite once I know numbers and talk to machining guy.

I dont know if its up in the other thread, but the setup just fits under my 15" Performance Superlites. The calipers can be ground slightly to increase clearance too.

Necros, ask MrShin about the comparison, as far as I know he has run both setups.

Hen
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Mon, 01 September 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are the calipers and discs worth?
working out how much the whole setup would cost, would they fit behind 14inch wheels?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Tue, 02 September 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No they wont fit under 14s. Only just under 15s.

Rough guide to total cost:
- Calipers ~$300, cheaper if you find a bargain.
- Discs, Hard to say, could go cheap second hand, maybe less than $100 a disc. I paid $220 a side for new DBA slotted.
- $60 Lines and bolts and hubgrease and disc redrilling and other associated crap.

Maybe
- Caliper rebuild kit.
- New hub bearings while you have them out.
- New master cylinder.

So do what fits your budget.

Hen
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Wed, 03 September 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know im all for it Smile
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Wed, 03 September 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Disc redrilling? I thought the 180sx discs were 4x113.4 stud anyways? Or is it the ceter hole that needs re-drilling.

Also I was thinking it might be a bonus for the purchasers (who woujld incur the cost) if you also got some brake lines made up to go with the brackets? To make it a nice simple bolt on job.

Anyways just my 2c ;p

Also, dying for a final cost Smile
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Wed, 03 September 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im with necros, id rather pay someone to make all the bits and pieces, less mucking around for me.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Wed, 03 September 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is just my opinion but....
I don't think the group buy should be including all the other bits and pieces as who is going to have the time for that? Henn is just getting his engineer to make the brackets, who do we all expect to run around and get brake lines made and discs drilled out etc?

If someone has the time to take that on great, but a premium would have to be paid for their time and effort involved.

Anyhows thats only IMHO.

Cheers
Joel

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Thu, 04 September 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Joel,

I pretty much agree with the above. If you want brake lines with it then I can get them done, but you'd be paying for my time and hassle. I just took the fittings I was replacing and had a piece of bundy tubing made up to fit at a brake place. The strut->caliper section doesn't need to flex.

Having said that, they will come with the locators for the hub since I can machine them up relatively easily.

I don't know the bolt spacing of the 180 and Sprinter discs, but they definitely have to be redrilled. The centre hole is ~3mm too big, necessitating the locators.

And I just want to post up a quick listing of who's in:

Sated - James
FKN16V
TurboRA28
Sprinta
Krayzie
Skaney
Ribbo
Necros
Possibly one guy from club4ag

If you want your name on or off the list then post here, or PM. I plan to finalise the group and get it rolling around 12/9.

Hen

[Updated on: Thu, 04 September 2003 15:47]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Thu, 04 September 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate if I measure up the bolt spacing on the RA28 strut can we see how close it'll come to fitting?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Sun, 07 September 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok this is the RA28 strut. Do you think we can make it fit?

If I have to drill the 4x mounting holes in the plate that is machined up thats cool.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/ra28-strut.jpg

Cheers
Joel
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Mon, 08 September 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm afraid I cant tell much from that picture. Need the other hole distance, stub axle diamater at base and which wasy is forwards. Can do them without holes.

Check it all on the pictures here:
http://www.digitalfunk.net/Garth/ae86/brakes/brake s.htm

Or if that doesn't work its poster in the original thread about this.

Hen
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy?? Tue, 23 September 2003 05:25 Go to previous message
OK, I will be PMing everyone who sounded interested, but I just got word back from the guy who'll be machining them up, and the word is $550 a set for a group of 8. I'm sorry that it is more than I estimated, I am suprised too.

Can everyone please let me know if they are serious still.

I should also say here I am in no way garaunteeing that these adaptors will hold up to the load applied to them. I personally believe they will, and they have been inspected by an automotive engineer and given the nod, but they haven't ever been driven. If you have any doubts, consult the drawings I have posted and get an expert opinion.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.
Hen

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:162 Gone Need Another Car ????????
Next Topic:Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:05:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054562091827393 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.