Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 08:38 Go to next message
Gday, doing the typical 4AGZE conversion in a 87 Twincam AE82.

Is a frontcut necessary or can I get away with just the engine, ECU, gearbox, supercharger and intercooler ?

Also before I put it in, id like to spend some time doing a complete rebuild of the GZE engine. I dont mind if it takes months but can this be done by someone who is not too mechanically experienced like me ? I mean yea I can change oil and brake pads but ive never undertaken a task such as this.

I want to learn a lot and thought this is the best way to do it, if I take it slowly and document my process. I dont have all the tools but I will buy most of them. Is there anything I must really have experience in doing when undertaking a rebuild ?

i.e looking at some jargon about camshafts and putting them in seem a bit complicated!

thanks in advance people !
  Send a private message to this user    
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engines are pretty easy to rebuild, its just as long as you put it back together to spec.... I wouldnt say its as easy as pie, but its kinda like a hard jigsaw puzzle,

When i did my old engine, i took it out, gave it to the machinist, block and all, a little bit dismantled..

he told me what he needed to do, new pistons and the lot, he did the machine work, and got me the parts i needed, and gave it to me dismantled, i assembled it to specs...

not many tools are really needed, just basic socket set, and the torque wrench, to get all the torque specs all good... which is what is the hardest part really, and getting the cam set up properly, with the right timing on the engine, but thats at the end really anyway....

id say give it a go,
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot, my confidence is building !

So when its all dismantled should I get it perhaps all acid dipped or a good soak in carby cleaner and take it to a machinist who I presume just does what... a port and polish ?

So I will need all new O rings, gaskets and new pistons ? Where can I get GZE forged pistons from ?
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arn't GZE pistons semi forged, read that somewhere

I sent my engine to the machinist, all dirty and everything, he anaylses the wear and tear, and see's what parts are needed, and wat machine work is needed... and gives it back to me all cleaned up and all,

TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea i think they are but should they be replaced... I mean I will want this engine as new as possible to last me many years to come! If im going to replace everything im not sure if I will need a machinist, hmm but replacing everything might be overkill!
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are replacing everything, then you are not rebuilding your engine you are getting a new engine...

but if you get a new head, and use the original block, thats fine as long as its not cracked or anything

but id recommend, acid dipping the block, honing out the cylinders,

new pistons and rings, new valves, cam chain (but i think its belt driven) new welge plugs, new gasket kit and everything like that...

You'd be looking at something like 2k for parts, and machine work, for a basic stock rebuild, a little more for some performance work.. and matters what machinist you go to...
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, well I dont want to look at a 2k rebuild hehe. I will leave the head as is except for an acid dip. Hopefully everything else I will replace though (although might not be necessary to replace pistons ?)

Ive heard of it a lot but can I ask a stupid question..what is honing the cylinders ? Also what is shot peening ?

thanks.
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Sun, 31 August 2003 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bumpity bump.
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
honing the cylinders is kinda like boring it out, but its making it clean and the right diameter for the new pistons...

If you are just doing a basic rebuild can get away with 400 bucks really, but matters how bad ur engine is, and everything like that
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, and shot peening ?

So where can I source new pistons, valves etc for the GZE ??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i were you, all i would do is replace rear main seal, front crank seal, cam seals, rocker conver seals and maybe sump gasket. i wouldnt worry about the rest but thats just me.
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why wouldnt you replace anything else ? Too much money for too little benefit ?

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im just a tight ass.
have you seen the engine running? did it blow smoke? did you do a compression test? just something i would have thought about if i got the engine in a half cut or out of another car. and also depends on what you have planned for the engine in the future such as bigger s/c or turbo. if you plan on leaving it stock i say just do the seals and leave the rest alone.
TinCanAE82
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I havent got the engine yet but hopefully soon Smile
I just thought I would do most things regardless of its condition as im hoping for it to last me longer under stress which I will intend to give it often ! Smile
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just finished rebuilding my ge, it was blowing smoke so i took her apart. i'm no mechanic but if you have a service manual its not hard, you just need to follow the steps.
i got the valve seats and valves machined and the head faced, that cost $200ish and i got the block cleaned, bored and honed, that was $220 and pistons n rings were $232 gasket kit was bout $200 i think bearings arn't expensive, $50 ish for big ends and mains, it all adds up but if the engine is totally screwed, warped head, screwed crank journals then it would cost more. you will only need new pistons if you intend to bore it out or if the piston to bore clearance is to high.
hope this helps, i would definatly say have a go yourself, you learn so much.
cheers
Richard
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like richard says, depends how bad things are in your engine now.
4AGE's are pretty good, you will probably be able to get away with a hone (depending on wear - inspection a must) and - re-ring your existing pistons, linish crank and give everything a good clean down with new bearings ect.

yes the early type ZE pistons are "semi forged" while the later type ones are forged. the 100kw and late ZE pistons also have ceramic tops (if memory serves from the top piston ring up to and including the crown)
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Mon, 01 September 2003 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I rebuilt my ZE, the bores were fine, so I reused the standard pistons. This is an early (mr2) motor and the piston tops were definately coated.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Tue, 02 September 2003 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool ben didn't know that Smile
i've got a set of 8:1 comp slugs at home, which, have no coating.

what were toyota up to?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Tue, 02 September 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps somebody got a little 'enthusiastic' while cleaning them?
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: 4AGZE Rebuild Wed, 03 September 2003 12:47 Go to previous message
Is there anyway to tell the difference between the semi-forged and forged pistons? Diff part numbers or mabey a different stamping on the block?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Idea for Sprinter
Next Topic:4ac cooling
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:29:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058150291442871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.