Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1GGTE problems.....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 10:04 Go to next message
Last night i started the car as usual (88 GZ20 soarer) and began a quick drive to a mates place. Started fine, was running fine, then when i hit boost at about 3,500 rpm and all power just stopped and revs seriously decreased until i took my foot off the gas, then she'd go back to normal, almost like it stalled. I thought it may have just been a one off, but every now and then it kept doing it. Sometimes on boost it was fine up until about 5K rpm, then it did the same thing again. And sometimes it just hit boost and died until i backed-off. I let her cool down and checked the usual hoses etc.. and they looked fine. Went to start it this morning and it wont go. Cranks over, like its about to idle, then dies straight away. It doesn't actually get to idle. Battery is fine(checked the voltage), the hoses all seem ok. I thought it may have been the old plugs and leads.

After a bit of fiddling i got the plugs out, and this is what i found them like:

http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/showpho to.php?photo=4471&size=big&papass=&sor t=1&thecat=

http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/showpho to.php?photo=4470&size=big&papass=&sor t=1&thecat=

I dont know if this is what the should look like. do they look like the motors running rich or lean or anything? could these be the cause?
Any other ideas on what might be my cause would be great. Thanks

Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
change em.. they are out.. it'll cost you ~25$

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check yr feul pressure or fuel

those plugs look slightly lean

i did a 1ggte ages ago and the car was very low on fuel
it would idle and cruise ok but when on boost engine shut down

check u r gettin battery voltage to fuel pump aswell
and check fuel pressure with a gauge if u can

i have worked on afew cars lately and the reason they ran bad and eventually didnt start is due to voltage drop to wire goin to fuel pump

goto a place that can check fuel pump pressure and flow at same time this way u can tell how good yr pump is

should be like 45 psi pressure and about 2 to 2.6 litres a minute flow

i wouldnt change plugs till u check fuel pressure
they look fine it would cost u heaps for new platinum plugs

[Updated on: Sun, 31 August 2003 10:29]

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u reckon they could be the problem?? i was thinking it may be the fuel system or something...
i will be changing the plugs anyway.

thanks
ben
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use copper plugs....

I have had no dramas at all with them
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im finding more cars these days havin probs with fuel pump

i have found some toyotas like eary soarers and stuff
loose about 1 to 2 volts to the fuel pump
so that means u get 13v at battery when idling at nearly as low as 11 to fuel pump

this is enough to make it not start on a cold day
or enough to lean it out about at 12 psi boost
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Sun, 31 August 2003 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuel pressure on a 1ggte is 35-38lb off boost raising to 55 lb or so at 13-14 lb boost.

Craig
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Tue, 02 September 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks peoples for your responces...
i put platinum plugs in (cost me 20$ each), then found that when i pulled the fuel line off the rail, no fuel was gettting through, checked the pump, and its not turning on when i try and start it.

therefore, my guess is its either the pump itself, the wries to the pump, or the relay. Cant check the wires to the pump at the moment, as i cant see any going into it, as its right up under the diff. Will take the pump out 2morrow and test stuff.

Anyone know where the relay for the pump is located???

thanks again for your help.

Ben
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE problems..... Tue, 02 September 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its like my mates GZ20 its in the engine bay on the drivers side.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Wed, 03 September 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any more detailed info on its whereabouts???

Also, is the stock pump a internal pump? ie: in the tank, or is it under the diff right up against the tank??? any ideas???

Also, where is the fuel filter located?? I've looked and looked, and im cant seem to find anything.

PLZ help

thanks
Ben
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Wed, 03 September 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ALL FIXED!!!!
I'm soo happy. I thought i'd have to pull the tank out to check the pump and tow the car to a mechanics place to do so, but the smallest things cause the biggest problems.

I looked for the fuel pump relay, and finally, i found it with FUEL PUMP RELAY (DER) stamped on the side in the engine bay next to the drivers side strut tower. I thought that i should crack it open. Me, only having average electrical skills checked it, and sure enough, a tiny spring on the top of the relay has worn so much that it doesn't tension any more. I temporarily adjusted it, and she roared into life!!!!

Thank you soo much peoples for your help! Saved me a lot of time, (well a lot more time) and a lot of money!

Im so happy, i might go for a thrash, lol.

(only joking)

Thanks again
Ben

PS- i'll get some pics of what im talking about later tonight.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 September 2003 10:29]

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE problems..... Wed, 03 September 2003 11:10 Go to previous message
heres a pic of the lil culprit:

http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/showpho to.php?photo=4486&papass=&sort=1&theca t=

and this is where its meant to be:
(Its the black thing on-top)

http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/showpho to.php?photo=4487&papass=&sort=1&theca t=

god i hope that doesn't happen again Smile, and if anyone else has this problem, think about this before you spend big $$$'s!

Thanks
Ben

PS- sorry about the quality of the pics, my web cam was all i had at the time.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ-GTE standard fuel pressure
Next Topic:Calipers to suit RWD Starlet
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 19:45:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055971145629883 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.