Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 04 September 2003 10:47 Go to next message
yeah sorry about this i've tried searching the forums and am still unclear on a few things. If any of this has been done before just post the link and i'll be happy!

Basically what I want to know is what I already have in the rear of my car and what parts I need to fit an LSD.

Are their any easy ways to externaly identify the diff? I'm not sure if it's an S or T series. Its an aus delivered car (so started as an S series?) but alot of parts has been changed on it and the owner I bought it off had a lack of technical knowledge, and most of the work had been done before he bought it.
What gets me confused is that it has a two piece tailshaft, to my knowledge Oz spec AE86s had single piece? The guy i bought it from also said larger rear drums were fitted, but he was unsure what from, just like the diff.
Why would the tailshaft be swapped to two piece? to accomodate a T series diff? Is it possible to have a t series with drums?

The diff centre is now shot, and all I wan't to know if it is a T series or not. That way I would be able to replace it with a T series LSD centre and be a very happy chap. Or if its just an S series I might look at a whole rear axle conversion.

would be much appreciated if somebody in the know could confirm how much of the above is right and lead me in the right direction. Im pretty new to toyotas, so take it easy on me Smile

thanks, Sean.

Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 04 September 2003 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most ae86's ive seen have 2 piece shafts. But honestly.. the best bet would be to take out the center.. the S diffs have a cage for the planet gears while the s series is larger and does not.

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 04 September 2003 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oz-specs definitely came with a two piece tail shaft. So there's no way to know if its S or T from that.

Hen
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 04 September 2003 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a cusco 2-way LSD.

If you can find one of those, I recommend them highly
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 04 September 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and i too should have a brand new TRD 2 way LSD on monday...

-mark- how do you find your 2 way for general driving? Noisy? how did you run it in?

what oil you using? anything you can tell me?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you tried looking on the ID plate??? you should see some numbers like T292 or S292, meaning T/S (diff type) 29 (gear ratio in this case 4.1:1 I think) and 2 (open centre 2 pinion).

The ID/Compliance plates are in the engine bay, attached to one of the inner guards or firewall/plenum.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes that works BUT as he mentioned in is first post, the previous owners have changed a few things here and there and it may have a different diff in it.. i wouldnt be surprised at all.

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S series centres have 8 bolt in points, T series have ten. These are the bolts you look at that mount the centre to the diff housing and are viewed when facing the rear of the car (ie, looking from the gearbox position).
Yes you can have a T series with drums in a Sprinter, most likely the diff has come from something local and been swapped in (ie T18, RA 40ish style Celica). There are also different types of drum brakes on S Series diffs, with Aus spec diffs getting 10" drums while import 1.5L trueno's have 9" drums.
You cannot put an LSD into a S Series diff, they're to damn small. The Aus Spec diffs do come with a 4 pinion centre in an LSD looking "cage", but they are not LSD.
T Series LSD's are available for a bolt in fitment to Sprinters but these diffs with disc brakes and the LSD centre fetch around $2000 at the moment, and in my opinion are not worth their value. They are easily broken (unless you spend more money on aftermarket LSD's, stronger axles, ...), and parts to repair are scarce as everyone has either broken their's too, or is chasing a complete diff.
Viable options for LSD disc brake diffs into Sprinters are F series, G series (Hilux, but you'll need to convert the drums to discs too), or Borg Warner diffs. Which ever diff you choose will still need to be modified in some way to be placed under the Sprinter rear end.
-Mark-
Regular

July 2003
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and i too should have a brand new TRD 2 way LSD on monday...

-mark- how do you find your 2 way for general driving? Noisy? how did you run it in?

what oil you using? anything you can tell me?

It's not all that noisy until you start heading above 100km/h. However, at about 150 in 4th, it becomes so loud that the only thing you can hear, is your diff screaming Smile

Just drive normally, but not hard for 300k's or so.
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant. Never had any troubles with it before.

I don't know how the TRD one reacts, but the Cusco one locks up very quickly, at a guess I would say 1.5 turns.

Hope that helps
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what weight oil is that?

haha your diff is probably noisy due to the bearings or gearset ratrher then the LSD itself Wink

Clintnoge: i picked up a brand new trd centre for 1100 bucks... a bit far off the 2K asking price dont you think?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, $1100 for a TRD new centre is a good price. Did that include the ratio, housing, axles, bearings and seals, disc brakes and hand brake cables???
If you read my post again, you'll realise I wasn't talking about centre's, rather complete diffs
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if anyones silly enough to pay 2K for a complete rear end they so be it

but there are otherways of having a disk brake rear end in an ae86 with a T series LSD.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Fri, 05 September 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks for the help.
For some reason I was under the impression that all aus specs had 1 piece tailshafts.
I guess I'll figure it out when ive got it apart.

Sean.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 01 January 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon I am interested in what you think is a good way to go about getting a disk brake LSD rear end. I also dont want to pay $2000 for a stocky thats probably worn out anyway. Also you should of used a DivX format with your files, if you did you wouldnt of had such shitfull quality but instead DVD quality with the same filesize.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 January 2004 09:04]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 01 January 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Fri, 05 September 2003 12:13

You cannot put an LSD into a S Series diff, they're to damn small.
T Series LSD's are available for a bolt in fitment to Sprinters but these diffs with disc brakes and the LSD centre fetch around $2000 at the moment, and in my opinion are not worth their value.

Heya Clint,
why too small?? there are LSD centres available for the KE10 5.7" gears (B code), and the later corolla 6" gears (U code).. then again, i have pics of a broken "B" LSD, so maybe they are too small to be useful Wink (it was one of the spider gears on the axle that broke)
Cya, Stewart

oh, and as for cost of an LSD rear end.
a recent T series rear disc setup i saw cost around $5-600 from junkyard bits (with new cables). say the LSD centre is around $1000-1200 (if you know someone who will bring it in illegally), and then you have to buy the actual housing, axles, new bearings, then maybe mounting point mods....

how much change are you expecting from $2000??? seriously?

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE86 Diff question (sorry I know this has been done to death!) Thu, 01 January 2004 15:10 Go to previous message
Since my last post in this thread, I have heard there are S series LSD centres available from TRD - I think "RA45Celica" has the TRD catologue and posted the info. Personally, unless required to do so, I wouldn't bother using the stock S series diff - it's still too small to put effective power through.
As for the price tag, T series open centre diffs are around $600-850 at the moment, with a second hand T series centre around $600, two new axle bearings around $350+, plus seals, oil, brake lines, ..., yep still up around $2000, you may get out of it cheaper using a Toyota factory LSD, but you'll also be replacing it more often as they break easily!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Choosing shocks!
Next Topic:ABS sensor removal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:28:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051438808441162 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.