Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hydro
Regular

October 2002
RA60 Questions Fri, 05 September 2003 21:40 Go to next message
Guys, pardon my ignorance but I've got a few questions about RA60 Celica's:

1. I've been told there are engine bay differences between an MA61 and RA60, will a 7M still fit in the engine bay of an RA60 and would it be a bolt-in swap or would mounts need to be fabricated. I'm not worried about getting it complianced or registered.

2. Are RA60's live rear end or IRS. Also, what diff ratio's are available.

I've got this 7M I started building and may now need a new home for it.

Thanks

Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA60 Questions Sat, 06 September 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) There are huge engine bay differences. The engine bay in the MA61 is a lot longer hence the 7M fits fine. The 7M will fit in the RA60, but it'd be a REAALLY tight squeeze and it would ruin the handling having all that weight so far forward. Mounts would probably have to be custom, I don't know if you could fit it in the bay and retain the existing mounts.

2) RA60's are live-axle T-series with drum brakes. The ones I've seen all came with 3.9:1 diff ratios, although I assume there must be more.

If you're looking for a home for it, you're probably better off looking at a MA61, it'd be an easier fit, you'd have a car that still handles well etc. There are also probably more options for diff ratios.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60 Questions Sat, 06 September 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, what he said. You could squeeze an M series engine into an RA60 Celica, but it would be a bastard of a job and the end result wouldn't be very good. It doesn't make much sense when it's so easy to drop a 7M in an MA61, and MA61's are quite cheap these days.
hydro
Regular

October 2002
Re: RA60 Questions Sat, 06 September 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info Frank. The aim with it would be for straight lines only if you get my meaning. As you say, I'd be much better off with a Supra if I wanted to go around corners.

Dave
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA60 Questions Sat, 06 September 2003 10:33 Go to previous message
The weight offset of an MA61 isn't *that* much more than the RA60, and you wouldn't pigeon hole the concept so much.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:need info on lsd gear box ae92
Next Topic:F series Diff with 4x114.3 pattern?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 04:05:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041821002960205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.