Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 04:55 Go to next message

OK, I know I should know this by now, but I'm really struggling with wheel tech. Razz

25mm 4x113.4mm to 5x114.3mm stud spacers on a MA61.

1. Would that bring the offset out to 33mm?
2. If not legal, would anyone be able to know they were there
at a glance?
3. How would you bolt the spacers in place?

Thanks folks,

Justin
  Send a private message to this user    
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quick answers...

1 - ??? no idea as you havent specified the offset for the 5 stud wheel.

2 - converting the number of studs is generaly a bad idea using a 'spacer' or adapter. Converting the whole hub and brake assembly is a hassle and can be costly, but is safer in the long run. Either that, or stick to 4 stud wheels. Best thing to do is contact your local transport authority and ask them about the legalities.

3 - there should be instructions with them if you bought them new, otherwise we would need you to post some pics if you could Smiley =

Hope that helps...

Craig.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok you're thinking of Hub extenders. legal... thats questionable thats for sure.. You may need to get some cutsom made. Try JMS in adelaide.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cheers,

They are on the JMS website (I haven't bought them). I would have guessed that stock 8mm plus 25mm spacers would have made for a 33mm wheel being ideal. No?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JMS custome make them for popular cars... thats why i said call thjem up.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone I once spoke to was saying how 4-5 stud adapters are dodgy. I don't know whether they are legal. I have seen them in a magazine on a D1 Drift car in Japan, so when properly engineered they must be strong.

Don't know how legal they would be. I'm pretty sure hub extenders would be legal, and would give you a large choice of wheels. S13 Silvia's run 4x114.3, as do some Hondas. With a larger offset you would have a lot more options.

You would effectively have a +33mm offset with a 25mm spacer as well.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cheers Franky,

Also note that I asked about the likelyhood of getting caught, not if these would be legal Rolling Eyes Does that say something about my current mentality?

This does open up the options for big wheels.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Mon, 08 September 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paint them black Smile

Seriously though, if you were going to get proper hub extenders made up, I can't see why these couldn't be engineered, especially if you are just "restoring the track".
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Tue, 09 September 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah, spacers would open up a world of S13 possibilities. Smile

I still don't get how those JMS hub adaptors would bolt to the stock hubs Confused
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Tue, 09 September 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try this website to see if it helps walk you through the changes to offset you are asking about.
http://www.311s.org/tech/wheels/offset.html
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Tue, 09 September 2003 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Oh for the attention span to read that article Razz

Better have a double-dose of Ritilin tonight!

Justin
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Tue, 09 September 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, here is a quick run-down of how they fit.

There will be 4 holes in the original one, which the original wheel studs stick through. You bolt the extender to these. The extender (well, a good one will) actually fit snug around the centre of the hub to hold it further in place.

The extender itself will have 4 new wheel studs of its own, and this is what you attach the wheels to. Fairly self-explanatory with the 5-stud ones, they just have 5 new wheel studs on the extender but everything else is the same.

Follow me?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Wed, 10 September 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks JCMF,

It sounds self-explanatory - it's just from the picture I can't see how it would sit flush.

Amyways,it sounds interesting.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Wed, 10 September 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same way a wheel sits flush dude.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: Novice wheel tech question: offset & stud convertors? Wed, 10 September 2003 04:18 Go to previous message
If anyone can make them can they make me a set that changes from 4*4in to 4*100mm. I want to use some small mags other than minilights on my mini.

Brad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sc14 questions
Next Topic:Learning procedure after resetting ECU?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 17:34:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052878856658936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.