Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 01:32 Go to next message
hey there, just finished my gze conversion in to a ae82, the thing starts and is driveable, but 8 outa 10 starts have to be rolled started, cos its like the battery is dead flat, even after driving for 2 hrs, turn it off, wont start at all, but the lights and everything are as bright as they would be if the car was going, so cant be a flat battery. Could this be a loose wire on something or what?

please help!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 September 2003 01:33]

Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
possibly an alternator fuse??

Dan
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but would the fuse allow it to start occasionaly?
and where would this fuse be located? in the fuse box or near the alt somewhere?
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm really not sure whats wrong at all. My alternator fuse had a really bad connection sometimes and the car wouldn't start. Mine is located right next to the battery (on a soarer)

When you turn the key do your reds appear on the dash every time?

Just a thought!

Dan
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it just sorta click when you turn the key.

if so then I'd say its more likely the starter motor. My old 162 use to have a dodgy starter motor and it just depended wether the teeth on the gears would line up correctly... got worse as it went on.

If you still have the gear from your old engine, see if the starter motors are the same and mabye you can swap them.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not the alternator I checked that with the DMM (its 14.1V with engine running and 12.4 when stopped)

The problem lies in ur battery, its rooted mate Sad Possibly cause it was left falt, however those century brand ones are not very good at all (despite their good rep)

Have to get urself a beasty one, thats a very tiny battery u can even lift it with one hand without a problem

Remember the other battery worked 100% of the time, whereas that century one only worked after the jump start then stopped working...

Hope this helps mate
-Stuart

[Updated on: Mon, 08 September 2003 04:05]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or... make sure you're getting 12V at the starter solenoid (e.g. power from start switch) so it properly engages the gears/conmtacts in the starter...

also, the solenoid could be on the way out - it start OK when warm but is a dud in the cold? mine's like this - i ended up putting a relay under the bonnet that's triggered by the start/ign switch but powered by a separate (and large) line that only feeds the fuel pump and starter. this would probably makes the car easier to steal (until you put some sort of circuit breaker in that line ahead of the starter/pump) but it saves having to push car out ofgarage to roll start it.

Charles
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: GZE troubles, please help Mon, 08 September 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when u get engine started check to see what the alternator is charging at

if its over 13 volts then alternator is working fine

if its fine just borrow a battery form another car to trial it to see if yr batt is fukt b4 u go buying new one

if it still plays up then its somethjing else

try starting the engine with the lights on

this will put extra load on the battery
if yr lights go dull when cranking its either starter motor loading up to much or bad battery

[Updated on: Mon, 08 September 2003 10:30]

twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so will i start with lights on with my battery or another one?
the lights go dim as when i tried with my battery, havent tried with another one yet, but i thought all lights would go dim when u start a car with them on?
So if i get a new battery try starting the car with the lights on, if it doesnt start, its something else?!

nah doesnt matter if its warm or cold, it will still do it Sad
gives me the shits cos i gotta park on hills incase i need to roll start.

twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry but its off the topic of the battery, but the ABV mod doesnt seem to be working either, any idea's?

i have 'T'd the abv vac hose off the blue vsv in to the intake hose from the brown vsv and blocked the other hose off on the blue vsv but still not getting any more boost Mad

im running a nevo 175mm crank pulley and can only get 8-9psi, which that isnt far off standard is it? i was hoping for at least 10-11, any ideas?

thanks
geoff

[Updated on: Tue, 09 September 2003 01:53]

SXI16V
Regular

June 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's the solenoid
Go to an auto electrician, they will replace it for $15
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you sure about that?!

where abouts is it located? and would it be easy for an auto elec to find if they havent worked on a gze b4?
SXI16V
Regular

June 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate, an auto electrician will find it, its practically on the battery
He wont charge anything to look at it
and i'm 99% sure its that
My 4age would not start sometimes, then it got to a stage when i had to roll start it everytime, now its fine, he charged me $15, it shouldn't be much more expensive than that
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright went to two auto elec's today, neither said its gonna cost 15$ to fix.

more like i need a whole new strater motor(rebuild) 120$min +labour!

are you sure the 4ag's solenoid is the same as a 4agze?!

it has to be a loose wire or something, cos it started fine in the half cut!

dammit!

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its obviously a starter motor prob, get it fixed and dont be a tight ass $120 is fuck all. if your worried about labour take it out yourself and bring it to them. $120 is pretty good cause then you got prob a years warranty and you wont have to worry about it again for years.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate the other day when i was down it sounded like the starter motor was dead, or the battery didnt have enough current Sad
cause when it goes click the starter doesnt engage

A new starter motor might fix it, the elecs will know

If u come down ill have a look at it for u

[Updated on: Tue, 09 September 2003 14:09]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you do get another starter, get a reco their as good as new but way cheaper, and theres no risk as with a second hand unit.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did the auto elec probably say something like:
- it's likely that if the solenoid has worn out, the elec motor is probably just as stuffed?

$120 is pretty good, as my starter motor (exchanged) was about that without fitting

Also, check your battery - feeding under 12V thru the solenoid to the starter while cranking will shorten lives of both very quickly (burns out the points on the solenoid, burns-out wiring in starter motor).

Charles.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He has put another battery in and it works 100%

BTW: i did the gze conversion wiring with a mate

Best of luck with the beast mate
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

icon5.gif  Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh we put my mates oddessy 1000 battery in it tonight, started every time, and we drove like 3+hrs and still had charge to start, to it must be getting charged while driving along.

why is it obviously a starter motor prob?

and also, whats this $15 solenoid? the auto elec just laughed at me and said tell who ever told u that their dreaming.

when one auto elec was trying something he was tapping the starter and then nothing happend, no clicks or anything, it had blown a fuse (the middle one that comes off the + battery terminal.

i dunno, im going to start with a new battery first.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 09 September 2003 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate its certainly ur battery
dont worry bout the starter tis fine

Cause u just brought that century one take it back... its a faulty

That oddessys a beast, get one of them instead Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 09 September 2003 16:00]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Wed, 10 September 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i was under the impression it was the s/m after you said all electricals worked fine and you tested the battery to be ok. that was the logical asumption in my mind.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Wed, 10 September 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, now thats one problem fixed Very Happy

Now how about the ABV mod, why wont it work?
Im doing what all the websites explain how to do it, but its not working.

Im only boosting 9psi with a never 175 crank pulley. Rolling Eyes

ideas or surgestions?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 September 2003 10:39]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twincam_ke20 wrote on Wed, 10 September 2003 20:02

Im only boosting psi with a never 175 crank pulley. Rolling Eyes

ideas or surgestions?

how much boost are you making?
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry dude, i was meant to put 9psi in there.

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt that how much your supposed to get? i dunno.
have you got a front mount? that will drop pressure.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its rated at a 14psi pully!

i was hoping for at least 11-12psi.

yes i have a front mount.

and also why are you getting 14psi then? thats what you said in another one of your post's yeh?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm rated at 14 you would want a little more then. maybe your fmic setup is restrictive?
im getting 15 pounds but i have the stock crank pulley and a different s/c pulley.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, well theres no way to really make the pipes any shorter, or i might as well go to a top mount, which i dont want to.
im using 2", mendral bends, and is reasonable direct and as short as i can get it.

the AFM wouldnt have anything to do with it could it?

chat s/c pully do you use? is it bigger then the stock one? and does the different s/c pully make the water pump still spin quicker?
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For starters, how tight is that s/c belt? They are well prone to slippage. Have you checked the oil level in the s/c? Too much or too little is no good. Next we have boost leaks. Make sure all the joins in your pipework are tight and there are no cracks for boost to escape. After that, another thing to check is the abv, which may be faulty.

The s/c pulley on the afm engines is slightly larger so there will slightly less boost being produced than the map counterparts. Also with your front mount, depending on how it is done, you will notice a slight drop in boost over just having the standard top mount intercooler. However the boost drop does not matter as the air will be cooler, and hence the engine will develop more power.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: GZE troubles, please help Thu, 11 September 2003 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just tightened the s/c belt the other day as it was making a weired noise between gear changes, so yeh that noise has gone now.
im now sure about the s/c oil, is it easy to drain and re-fill while the motor is in the car?
and how much does it take, 150ml yeh?!
I think there might be one hole in all the pipe work, and thats small as, but i'll get that fixed when i go to get all the pipes jet hotted (powder coated kinda stuff)

so if i can get a smaller pulley for the s/c, will that help at all? and will it work with the over sized crank pulley? or do you have to have either one or the other to get more boost?

and lastly, how do i check the ABV to see if its faulty or not? and can it be taken off all together? or is it more work then its worth?

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE troubles, please help Tue, 16 September 2003 05:44 Go to previous message
i use a smaller s/c pulley, this does not run the water pump quicker as it does not drive it, the crank does. you probably could run both a smaller s/c pulley and larger crank pulley, i dont know how much boost you would get or if the stock ecu could run it, but your idle would probably be erratic.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7A-FE to 7A-GE conversion: questions
Next Topic:my car has tits
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:27:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062720775604248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.