Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

3sgte into a ae92 Tue, 24 September 2002 13:46 Go to next message
anyone here done it? cause im seriously thinking about it!!

just wanna know what obsticales you had to overcome

i know its a tight fit!
  Send a private message to this user    
djb23_20v
Occasional Poster

June 2002

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Wed, 25 September 2002 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember that in an older issue of HOT4s or FF&R there was an AE82 or AE92 (not sure which) that had an ST195 3SGTE fitted. It was done by one of the name performance shops in Sydney, and involved modifying engine mounts etc to make it fit. They used the standard g/box and driveshafts, pretty crazy considering how much more torque the 3SGTE puts out compared to 4AGE. It wasn't a feature car, just a sort of crazy converion photo and brief description.

swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Thu, 11 September 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does any1 have info on putting a 3SGTE into a AE92??? Im looking at doing this conversion and the sooner the better. Any info would be great
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 12 September 2003 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweeeet conversion idea craig!! Cool

what about the obstacle of FWD... Rolling Eyes

Razz

cheers
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 12 September 2003 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For front wheel drive you can ust the gearbox out of the ST165 celica which is a fwd 3sge so should bolt straight on. Not sure about driveshafts though.

My eventual plan is the get old of the AWD corolla wagons and use all/part of the chassis and turn my seca to an all wheel drive weapon using GT4 gearbox, driveshafts and diffs. I think im gonna need a bit of money first though so it aint happening for a while.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 12 September 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you say, "MR2 Turbo Gearbox" for a front wheel drive application?
The AE95 AWD Corolla is eastwest mounted AWD, while the AE25(? - correct me if I'm wrong about the First AWD Tercel) is northsouth mounted. Previous comments on using these as basis for performance applications, has resulted in the judgement that they are not suitable due to driveline weakness. Regardless, will still be watching this revived thread with interest?!
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 12 September 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a AE92 a while back for sale with a 3SGTE conversion. It had:

2L - Celica GT4 engine

CT26 turbo hi flowed - supra size

Custom drive shafts

Camry 5 speed box

Heavy duty clutch

Pollyurathane engine mounts
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 12 September 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 was 4WD, not FWD. The Celica boxes won't be any good unless u use the 4WD box off the GT4's, the problem is that the starter motor sits in the wrong place(in the turbo piping, and it can't sit there).

The Camery 5 speed from the SV21 bolts on to the 3SGTE no probs, but u will want to go the MR2 turbo box off a 3SGTE, the SV21 box will bolt on, be cheaper, easyer to find, but it isn't the best box out there and will break in time(how much depends on how u drive it). To get the MR2 box to work properly u will have to change the linkages(midmounted engine to front mounted).

Can someone remind me which car was the ST195. I know the ST165 was the gen 4 celica GT4, and the ST185 was the gen 5 Celica GT4, and i think the ST205 was the gen 6 celica gt4, but i can't remember what the ST195 was.

If i am wrong here in anyway feel free to correct me.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 12 September 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh who bumped this thread Razz i got over this conversion 12months ago lol
draza thats good tech for other people but
just need info on engine mounts
GT4_Steve
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Sun, 14 September 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza wrote on Fri, 12 September 2003 12:56

Can someone remind me which car was the ST195. I know the ST165 was the gen 4 celica GT4, and the ST185 was the gen 5 Celica GT4, and i think the ST205 was the gen 6 celica gt4, but i can't remember what the ST195 was.
If i am wrong here in anyway feel free to correct me.

I don't recall the 3 GT4's before the ST165, fill me in on them as I'm a GT4 fan Smile

The Camry box will hold for about 2 years if you don't dump on it too much, otherwise you can expect 6months or less but they are cheap and not a huge job to fit yourself. Have fun sourcing GT4 boxes. Also, it's always fun to see what ratios you get when you drop your latest Camry box in. I've had a V6 box that gave me ratios to hit over 240KPH (speedo stopped) and I had one after that which redlined me in 5th at around 225ish. (in an ST162)

Anybody considering a 3SGTE must tackle engine cooling and engine bay temps. Also, make sure the car can take the extra power! Get yourself some solid mounts and get a bit of structural welding done to help slow down the part-breaking rate Smile

FWD Rolla with that much power??! get some fat tyres and hang on tight!!! Shocked Shocked

[Updated on: Sun, 14 September 2003 03:21]

swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Sun, 14 September 2003 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Oz-Craig but some1 was gonna do it sooner or later so I maight as well have been me.

As for cooling, a front mount cooler to the size of 60x30x7 is being looked at as is the possibility of a Group A GT4 bonnet vent for heat extraction. I thoing both front and rear strut braces might have top be looked at as well as big fat chains wraped around the outside of the car binding the panels together in one tight package. Obviously an aftermarket front bar is on the cards to accomodate the intercooler and a cold air induction system will also be looked at. Not sure on air-box or pod filter yet though or maybe pod filter in a custom heat sheilded air box.
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Fri, 19 September 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any other info on this conversion???
Zz24hours
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Sat, 20 September 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might find this page interesting Smile

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee.dawes/

swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: 3sgte into a ae92 Mon, 22 September 2003 11:24 Go to previous message
Thanks Zz24hours. That page is awsome.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cam regrind and durability
Next Topic:acrylic vs 2-pac