Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 06:02 Go to next message
Hello all,
In my project car I've got an 18R-C that has been recoed. It was done about 2 years ago but has been off the road for 18 months. It's got a weber Carb, not a stock one. Every weekend almost for the last year I have run the car for about 10 minutes just to make sure it runs fine.

Yesterday I had to move it out of the shed so decided to take it for a drive up the street. Started up ok and didn't stall on the way out the driveway but when I tried to do a 3 point turn at the end of the street it couldn't idle. Appart from that it takes off like a rocked and drives fine.

So today I've serviced it, new plugs, points, oil, oil filter, fuel filter. Still hasn't made any differents. The idle screw is as far in as it will go and can't set the timing because it wont idle. We jammed open the throttle and let the car run for 20 minutes so now it's hot but still no difference.

Any suggestions would be great cause it's really hard to put a car up on ramps if it won't idle and for us to do a 20 point turn to get it into the shed.

Thanks in advance Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clean and tune the carby. crappy idle mixture. attack it with carby cleaner. air filter? shitty fuel? too much choke? oil/water in a cylinder (but that usually goes away after warm up.)
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont you screw the idle screw out to richen the mixture?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought the idle mixture screw added more air when you wound it out. maybe webbers are way different?

... as opposed to upping the idle speed via the adjuster nut on the throttle ... e.g. the lazy way to fix idle problems - use the main jet and get a smooth 1100rpm idle Wink

Charles.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idle screw affects the amount of fuel that is sucked into the engine, just under the butterfly of the carby.

Yep, you have to screw the idle mixture screw OUT to richen the mixture. You will have very little chance of the engine idling with the screw screwed right in.

To get a rough estimate screw the idle screw in then back it out 3 half-turns (one and a half full turns).

Set the butterfly so the engine idles well.

Adjust the mixture screw to get a suitable idle with little flat spot off idle. Do this by testing the accelerator by hand and listening for any hesitation in the engine.

Finally reset the butterfly to get the right idle RPM.

This is not the MOST ideal way but should get it in the pretty well in the ball park.

If this doesn't work then there may be crap stuck in the idle circuit of the carby, which would require the carby to be pulled down and cleaned.

Cheers,
Tyron.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 September 2003 10:25]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, on my 34DMS weber, there are three adjustments.

throttle stop, for idle speed,
idle mixture screw, like a normal one
idle air bypass screw,
this last one allows air to bypass the throttle plate and idle circuit. if your idle is rich, it also allows you to increase idle with it.
i think it's main purpose is to lean out the mixture on cruise, ie very slight throttle operation, without mucking up the mixture when power is needed.

it could be that your idle circuit has blocked up... maybe clean out the carb, or alternatively, adjust throttle stop and richen mixture...

hmmmm, it doesn't idle? if you tap the throttle, do revs go up for a few seconds (like to 2000-2500rpm) then die off a few seconds later??? i had this problem 4 days ago when i had two massive air leaks at the manifold gasket.... could be another option.

good luck.
Cya, Stewart

ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone,

I have never worked on a weber before so I don't know much about them and I don't have a manual for it.

It's not the air filter cause it runs the same with or without it. Fuel is farily new. It's only been in there for about a month.

The engine will stay running if you're on the throttle but as soon as you take your foot off it just dies.

The choke is working fine. When we had the throttle jammed open so it would warm up you could see the butterfly's open up as it warmed up.

I really don't know why it has all of a sudden started running so badly. Nothing was touched from the time it was running ok to the time it just wouldn't run.

I've noticed that you put your foot down and it hesitates a bit. But once the second throat opens up when you put your foot down the car just launches.

I'll have another look at it tonight.

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Sun, 07 September 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Webers are pretty simple (bucket and hose technology) spray some carby cleaner down it and wind the idle screw out one and a half turns sounds like the idle circuit is blocked. Is there excessive black smoke coming out of the back at low rpm if so the needle and seat may be stuck if so give it a gentle tap with a hammer.
j
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Mon, 08 September 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately sounds like it is way too lean to me.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Mon, 08 September 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trial and error!

I'll have another go at it tonight. It's really a 2 person job, one to constantly start the car and the other person to fiddle around with the carby.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Thu, 11 September 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I've had a fiddle around with things last night.

Started it up from cold and it was idling really roughly, rev''s would pick up then drop, extremly erratic. I've checked all the vacume hoses, they're all attached, had a fiddle with the screw's on the weber. I could only find 2. one that looks like it's on the throttle and another that's on the side next to the second throat. We've adjusted them to the two extreme's.

Once it warms up then it wont hold idle at all.

We've moved the distributor around and that makes no difference.

When you rev it the car doesn't hesitate at all.

It smells like it's running really rich.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Help please Sad
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leaky manifold gasket both to head and to carby? Remove and clean up replace and use lots of gasket goo, loctite hard setting is good.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 September 2003 01:04]

CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 32/36 weber on my 18rc. This is what I did, just to get it running nicely, I dont know if is the proper way or not buts it is what I have been told to do. The screw on the throttle is the idle screw, the other one is your mixture screw. Screw your mixture screw in till the car nearly dies, now back it off about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn so that it is running nicely. Then screw in the idle screw until it idles where you want it to. (Do all of this with the car warmed up and under load ie a/c on, headlights on etc.) When the idle is set I then reset the misture screw by finding the point where the car starts to cough and splutter and backing it off another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.

If you have undone both crews that means it is running rich and wont hold idle. If you do them both up tight, the idle will be really high and she will be running lean.

Damian

PM me if you dont understand my ramblings.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like i said before sounds like your float levels are all up the shit pull the top off the carby and have a look. The the float level is to high then the fuel bowl will fill up with to much fuel and it will be drained off down the throat of the carby. You have said there is no hesitation so it is definately not running lean.
Just be done with it and put a carby kit through it ($40) and clean all the circuits out with carby cleaner.
Have fun.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CuRtana wrote on Fri, 12 September 2003 11:12

I've got a 32/36 weber on my 18rc. This is what I did, just to get it running nicely, I dont know if is the proper way or not buts it is what I have been told to do. The screw on the throttle is the idle screw, the other one is your mixture screw.

i have a 32/36 dgv on my 18r-c, and i change the mixture by altering the float level, i don't know if it has a mixture screw, idle screw yes, but i don't think there is a mixture screw
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? Interesting, does your carby have 2 screws or one? I found that my second screw if tightened too much makes the car die as the carby doesnt get enough fuel. How do I change the float level? When I get home from work, I will have a squiz.

BTW the second screw runs parallel to the engine.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, cool, i'll have to check that

i just trusted what my dad told me (mechanic for ~15 yrs).

to adjust the float level:

1. take air filter off
2. carby will have ~6 screws to hold the top part of the carby on, undo
3. you don't have to take the top part completely off, just lift it enough so that you can see thw two plastic floats
4. bend the thin piece of metal connected to the floats that turns the fuel inlet valve on and off to adjust the float level
(floats up high = rich, floats down low = lean)

<standard lame disclaimer>take advice as is! if something screws up, i am not liable!!</standard lame disclaimer>
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Smile I will have a look at the float levels tonight when I get home.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am so looking into EFI so i don't have to mess around with this crap each time i want to try a different setting Razz

good luck dude Very Happy
CuRtana
Regular

December 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing beats the sound of a carby though Very Happy Good luck with the EFI.

Damian
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. We've had the idle screw all the way in and it won't idel. And we've actually had the mixture screw all the way out still doesn't seem to make a difference. I'll check the manifold gaskets, haven't done that one. I don't want to pull it all apart so I'll do the good old water test when it's cold.

I'll have a look at the float's tonight. Should they be the same level for each throat?

The weber is fairly new. That's why I'm baffeld cause the engine was rebuilt less than 2 year's ago so everything on it is new including the exhaust and weber. I've had the car for 1 year and I've run it every weekend and haven't been scared to give it a really good rev or 2 while sitting there. It only happened when I actually took it up the road, which has been the first time since new years.

Where can I get a manual for the weber? I've got it's id tag thing sitting at home.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The float levels shouldnt effect the idle.
They should only really effect when the mains come on.

What engine did the weber carb come off?
There is a good chance the primary idle jet is too small... youll want a primary idle jet of 45 or higher.
There are two idle jets on the carb, one is behind that idle mixture setting screw (just wind it all the way out), the other is on the opposite side of the carb (primary throat side) in the same position. Whats covering that jet will depend on the model of carb (might be a idle cutoff solenoid, might just be a screw, etc).
The size of the idle jets are stammped on the side of them.

Is the engines timing setup correctly too?
You should make sure this is ok first.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 18R-C with Weber Carby won't idel Fri, 12 September 2003 05:22 Go to previous message
ra23celicachick wrote on Fri, 12 September 2003 14:51

I'll have a look at the float's tonight. Should they be the same level for each throat?

the dgv has one float chamber with two floats, but they are attached to the same piece of metal (one chamber for both throats)

good luck Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 20v
Next Topic:Clutches for W5x Trannies...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:00:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088691711425781 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.