Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kmwdesign777
Occasional Poster

August 2003
info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Fri, 12 September 2003 12:21 Go to next message
Hi, I'm gathering together the parts for a space frame special using a supercharged 2t motor running 20lbs boost on methanol giving around 280 to 300 hp plus.
I need to finalize my choice of irs. On my short list is the series 4 mazda lsd at around $450 - diff & housing, which seems cheap enough, but it would be better to keep it all toyota if I can do it at a reasonable price or it is better setup. I have searched the forums...must posts were going lsd into live diffs.
Can somebody in the know, advise me what is available for my purpose ( preferably lsd high 3's low 4's :1 )...I did have a quick look at the irs in the ma70 supra ..perhaps there is a similar setup in a sedan etc that is easier/cheaper to get with lsd?
I would be looking to use the diff & housing, cv's and half shafts, uprights and disc brake setup and custom build the locating arms.
thanks, kevin
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sat, 13 September 2003 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm

a bit out of my league on this one perhaps... but ill offer what i know...

'tailing arm' type f series IRS w/ 4 bolt halfshafts/CV's can be found in:

ra65 clica
ma61 supra
ms123 crown

you should also be able to find trailing arm IRS with a G series diff and 6 bolt halfshafts/CVs in the later (mx83 etc) model cressidas.

double wishbone rear IRS only came out in the supra (xA70 and xA80) i *think* but could be shown to be wrong

the trailing arm design does suffer some negative camber issues when you play with the geomerty (can be a good thing if youre looking for it) but if youre designing a chasis around it, might not be such a hassle.

also, not all the models above come WITH LSD, but they can all happily be converted to LSD (both clutch and torsen type available)

cheers
ed

[Updated on: Sun, 14 September 2003 06:39]

M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sat, 13 September 2003 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there.
What class rules allow cars to run on methanol,i thought i read in the cams manual that all cars must run on pump unleaded.
Anyway from what you have asked i think the MX83 setup would be what you need or a MS123 crown rear diff and arms,also 4.3:1 in the Crown diff.
I wouldn't go any lower than that as the clubman is powered by an 18RG with the steel case 5SP box and uses a 4.6:1 diff (not toyota) and first gear is now no longer needed to launch off the line.Dial up 4000-4500 RPM select second,pop the clucth and away you go.
Enough rambling from me,go with a MS123 Crown or MX83 Cressida i reckon.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sun, 14 September 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go with the RA65/MA61 trailing arm setup if weight is a concern; the MA70 double-wishbone IRS is superior but also VERY heavy. If you've ever had a peek under an MA70 you'll understand why!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sun, 14 September 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a look at the Nissan stuff yet? I'd say an S13 rear end could be almost what you're looking for. Plenty of LSDs available (factory+aftermarket), it's multi link, and from what I remember, if you get the subframe etc. it wouldn't be THAT hard to mount up. I daresay it'd be a bit lighter than a Crown rear end Evil or Very Mad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sun, 14 September 2003 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If youre serious about doing it properly youre better off skipping the toyota and nissan in favour of the WRX rear end with an aftermarket ratio from Middleton Motorsport.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sun, 14 September 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hell, if the cash is flowing, why not fabricate something from scratch Evil or Very Mad
kmwdesign777
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Sun, 14 September 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi ..thanks for the replies...
I can use methanol in the formula Libre class in speed events ( hillclimbs ).
I plan to only use the diff, axles, uprights ( with the brakes ) and fabricate the arms, and the mounting system setup will be part of the space frame....I will not use the subframe...must save weight where possible.
The work on this car will start in the next 2 - 3 months and will be finished by March or April...hopefully, ready for next season. Will post details when it is done.
regards, kevin
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: info on irs and lsd set-up for purpose built hillclimb chassis Mon, 15 September 2003 00:24 Go to previous message
I'm with IRA11Y, the WRX diff is a good thing, Not too sure about reliability with that much power going through it, but they are nice and light and there is plenty of aftermarket parts for them....brakes, suspension, centers etc.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:OD light flashing
Next Topic:5MZEU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 20:51:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052449703216553 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.