Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 03:54 Go to next message
Hey all.
Just acquired my Sprinter.... I could go on about my happy happy joy joy feelings but lol........

I need suggestions on some "new school" looking rims for the AE86.

I do like and have seen an abundance of watanabes, deep dish, mesh, 4star etc.

But I am kinda after some newish design racetype rims (not showboat chromies). So far I have seen Volks and the ones on SimonRX7s fronts....

Any suggestions and pics?
I know the stud variation, but what offset limits can I play with?

Thanks heaps!
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is what i have collected on the subject of wheels so far, my apoligies for it being long.

i've always been a fan of rays style six spoke rims, thats what i'd suggest getting.

if you were asking for my advice,I'd say to go no bigger than 15x6.5",and to get something from an import wrecker,or off of an older car like an R30 skyline,MX7* cressida,SA22C rx7,starion,scorpion,*A60 celica/supra,70 soarer,or S12 gazelle. maximum tyre size I'd go for would be a 205/50/R15. this is within original diameter by about 3mm,
and is a legal increase in width in NSW.

Standard offset is +27 using a 5" rim. Ive had 16x8 +18mm front and +15mm rear with 215-45-16 tyres that required a little touch up of the front guards to not scrub. You can work out the rest from there.

to answer the actual question...
Sprinters have 4X114.3 stud pattern, with an offset of between +20 and +28

+16 rims will sit further out while +32 will hit the struts on the inside. A +16 7" rim will fit ok.

what size rim do you want to run? 15x7 @ +15-23mm is fine. 16x8 + 15mm is marginal inside the guard unless you run camber plates which then makes the car almost exclusive for track work as the tyres will wear quicker then usual, but steering will be nice as will handling.

nope... the new tyres are 195's stretched over 7" rims.. that equals pretty much zero sidewall flex...

the 195/50/15's on 15" X 6.5" rims should be perfect...

my new wheels are actually 7" wide, so the sidewalls of the tyres stretch out a bit, giving very minimal sidewall flex, making the car ultra responsive when cornering...

according to the tyre & wheel calculator ive got, the correct size tyres to keep the speedo accurate would be 195/55/15 or 205/50/15. the 195/50's im running are actually slightly smaller, which in turn lowers the diff ratio (marginally) giving slightly better acceleration... the actual mass of each wheel will also be reduced when coming down from 17" rims, further increasing the rate of acceleration you'll experience. (not to mention vastly improved handling)

please note though, that the Azenis tyres im running at the moment are road tyres... not track tyres. the track-type Azenis are even better still in terms of grip, but not road legal im told. i dont know if Falken make the track tyres in 195/50/15... i know for a fact that they do make them in 205/50/15 however. (ill be getting a set in the next few months, budget allowing )

but yeah, id highly reccomend the 15"s & Azenis combo... you wont be dissappointed.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

the offset is +25, but i ended up having to run 10mm spacers to clear the front calipers (im running FC 4-pistons), which increases the effective offset to +15. i whacked the same spacers on the back as well to even things up. this, in turn, increased the track.

and they were made to order by Performance Alloys.

-Haydn

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Here I have listed, thanks to AE86 Life Page (Japan) of Taka8, an extensive list of wheels that were available to the Japanese market AE86. Some of them are still very much available today but most of them are out of production. Listed here are some photos and what you might expect to pay for them. Also indicated here are grades for rarity, popularity, price and availability of new. The grading is strictly in my opinion so it may differ by locality and timeframe.

The AE86's wheel choices are greatly affected by suspension and body setup, as well as from late and early models. The late model AE86 with fender moldings reduce clearance by about 10mm. In the same sense, camber adapters at the top and or bottom of front suspension also contribute to wheel clearance issues. The OEM wheel was available in 14x5.5 or 13x5 in alloy, had offset of +18mm. Tire size were 185/60-14, 185/60-14, and 175/70-13 depending on the region of purchase, model year, and grade. Since many of us do not intend to run on OEM size or width these days, I will concentrate more on aftermarket wheel choices.

Without modification, the furthest the wheel can extend outward is provided by using 185/60-14 tires on 14Jx6 with +/-0 offset. This is the general rule of thumb as different tires have non-standard width which may allow a more aggressive offset. Commonly, we can use up to a 7 inch width wheel on 195/50-15 or 195/60-14 sizes on slightly lowered cars at offset of +10 or less. If inner fenders are trimmed, 0 offset can be used to get a flush effect at body line. Going to wider width or more negative offset will require modifications to the suspension. Camber upper plates at the top can tilt the wheels inward helping the tire clear (though that's not the purpose of the plates...). In the rear, the lowering of the body will create a rightward movement of the differential housing pushing the wheel to the right fender quarter panel. Adjustable lateral link (panhard rod) is usually used to correct this for each ride height. With N2 TRD fenders, the wheels can extend an additional 32mm outward.
Mr 20Valve
Regular

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its wierd seeing something i wrote so long ago... Confused Embarassed
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, thnx Shinybluesteel & Mr20V.......
I just have to copy it to text document and read it 3 more times to take it in....
damn!
Nice work though!
Thnx again, exactly what I needed!

[Updated on: Wed, 17 September 2003 05:35]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmmm Buddy clubs Smile

take a look at rims on S13's etc etc... same stud pattern and offset with a bit of luck depending on wheel will suit!

Mr 20Valve
Regular

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under the impression that S13 rims had an offset closer to a FWD offset... like +30 or +35. theyll fit on the back of a sprinter, but not the front (they wont clear the strut apparently) without using spacers.

or so ive been led to beleive.

the stud pattern is definately 114.3 x 4 though. Smile
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit still too much to take in, may read it again in midnight early morn hours when my vampire bodyclock is working.
Sheesh didnt know S13s have same stud pattern and offset.
And yup luv those buddyclubs hehe!
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha ok info update in the time i wrote the last post Rolling Eyes
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno if your interested but these arent deep dish, mesh or 4 stars, I got them on mine atm. Just to see what you think.

http://www.users.on.net/nperin/Car001.jpg
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good ol' Speedy Hyper fangs like Bill's. Very Happy

I also had Speedie Mystique 2 alloys on mine for a while:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Side01.JPG

Went for 15" black mesh, now looking for 14" deep dish ones to suit the back:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Longchamp.JPG
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn thats a big pic, I had to reload/delete temp internet files twice!
Looks nice, just like on Mr Sherwoods ride.

Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 17 September 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*Scratches hed*
U cant upload images directly they have to be hosted dont they?
Ugh
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Thu, 18 September 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice to see you fitted the XR4's daz. Can i ask why you are going back to 14's now?

I bought those SSR's from hikari... going to polish them Wink
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 19 September 2003 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon, I've found from past experience that 14" spins a lot easier than bigger ones (common sense) and I miss my red alloys.

Also, Ueo uses them in D1 so what's good for the master ... Rolling Eyes

When I get some funds together, I'll also be downsizing to some 185/60/14 rubber as well.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 19 September 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a fair bit of data on this stuff, thats what happens when you have no money to actually buy the stuff. (just downloaded the 4AGE engine manual, all 60 meg on dial up)

i apoligise if any of that info is contradictory, but it should be easy to get a consensus of some info.

from what i have heard, silvias have +38 offset, so you need hooge spacers.

dodgy, just use stockie 13 inchers on the back, they will spin way easy. just make sure you spray them matt black, overspray on the rubber will help too

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2003 09:08]

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 19 September 2003 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought my old rims on my old sprinter were non-old schoolish

http://members.optushome.com.au/trdspec/sprinter2.jpg

looks a lot better in real life tho, this pic doesn't do it justice

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2003 15:53]

Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 19 September 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice Lil Mic.. too bad u sold it eh?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Sat, 20 September 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have speedy mystique 2's like dodgy haros first pic but in bling-bling 17" size. They look sweet and are very suprising in how little they scrape.
But killer spacers are used on the front, I think they must be based on S13 offset.

I'm looking at an RX7 caliper upgrade using an adaptor plate. Once ive got all that set up Im switching to some 15" minilites with a decent offset so I dont need spacers.

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Sun, 21 September 2003 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks! and yep it's been sold.

I've seen it recently and it doesn't have those rims anymore tho.

They were only 15's but looked very close to 16's as some have thought.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Sun, 21 September 2003 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy: thats true but it also depends on the weight of the wheels.

I'll be going 185's also on my 15's
truenolevin
Regular

September 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 26 September 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got a set of 14" ssr mesh and placed them on my sprinter and the tyres kept rubbing on the guards and when i replaced the tyres from 185 to 195 tyres they are rub when i change direction with brakes. My engine is a 3tgte and very heavy on the front. I was wondering what i can do to offset the weight. I havent put in the strut bar and wonder if it will do much.

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Sat, 27 September 2003 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenolevin wrote on Fri, 26 September 2003 23:43

I just got a set of 14" ssr mesh and placed them on my sprinter and the tyres kept rubbing on the guards and when i replaced the tyres from 185 to 195 tyres they are rub when i change direction with brakes. My engine is a 3tgte and very heavy on the front. I was wondering what i can do to offset the weight. I havent put in the strut bar and wonder if it will do much.

simple.. you will need better front suspension.. you existing susp is designed for your old motor.. and it wont be able to take the extra weight very well..

stiffer springs and shocks u need!
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Sun, 28 September 2003 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*waves bb gun around*
Gimme buddy cluuuuuuuuubz or volkzzzzzzz!!
Willy86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Tue, 30 September 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 15x7" superlites(performance) on my sprinter and I recon they look tough, people bagged me when I ordered 15" wheels (saying they are to small and a waste of money)
But they say now they look good allso(not that it really matters what other people think).

Only very minimal scuff on the inner plastic gaurds when you hit bumps while turning hard.( stiffer springs and shocks )They have 195 50 yokohamas and has allso made a big differance to the cars handling Very Happy

Will
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Tue, 30 September 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too small?

haha are these ppl idiots?

15's is the largest rim to fit on an 86 and still have handling and chuckability.

any larger and its jsuta waste of time.

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Tue, 30 September 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not even 16's?

hate to sound like a newbie, but doesn't keiichi tsuchiya have 16's on his trueno?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Tue, 30 September 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out enkei there big on the drifting/racing scene, Enkei Evo wouldnt look so bad if they werent white, unless you want white.
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Wed, 01 October 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROH chicanes

im either thinkin for my car
-super lights
-roh chicanes
-simmons FR's
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Thu, 02 October 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LiL_MiC wrote on Tue, 30 September 2003 20:06

not even 16's?

hate to sound like a newbie, but doesn't keiichi tsuchiya have 16's on his trueno?

Negative! Tsuchiya has 15" wheels..... in my opinion is the best size wheels for the AE86. He also uses 195 55 15 Bridgestone RE540s.

Do I sound like a stalker yet?? Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Thu, 02 October 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15"?

eep

14!!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 03 October 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going back a few years... most ae86 drift cars in japan had 15's... now many of them are switching to 14's with 185/60/14's

i personally like the idea of a decent 15 inch wheel and tyre combo.. less sidewall flex
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Fri, 03 October 2003 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh currently I have 205/55/15's .. And I was thinking, the rims on my old car had 195/50/15 .

And I thought, hang on, I have a larger profile now and thought about that less sidewall flex.

So would there be anything wrong switching my current one's to 205/50/15?

Sorry to hijack the thread a lil keke
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: Suggestions & mayb pics of "new school" lookin rims for AE86 Sun, 05 October 2003 03:17 Go to previous message
i don't think you can get 205/50, if you want a 50 sidewall i think you need 215width, then you'll get the 50 sidewall, but i don't think my math is good enough....

right now still running the stockys

but have got 185/60/14, charcoal mesh wheels

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:BA Dash
Next Topic:Liquid Paper Toyota Windcreen Sticker
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:01:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085909366607666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.