Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Mon, 22 September 2003 01:08 Go to next message
Going on from the 18RGEU intake pipe thread

I already have an electric facet pump for the carbie setup.

The EFI pump I have looks like it will be hit by the diff if I mount it in the same place as the facet pump.
Would I be able to mount the EFI pump in the engine bay if I have the facet pump pushing fuel to it anyway.
It would effectively be the way others have described their engine bay mounted surge tanks, except without the surge tank.
Then the standard pressure regulated return line from fuel rail to main tank.

I would have to watch the fuel level etc but that is the same as if I was just mounting the EFI pump externally anyway.
What do you think. It will also make it easier to swap between the carbie and EFI setup (if I wanted too?????????).

Does anyone know if you can use a RA65 internal EFI pump externally or does it have fuel come out the sides when the pressure gets too high?
  Send a private message to this user    
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Mon, 22 September 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think a pump supply the EFI pump is a great solution here. I have mounted a pump in the engine bay and it ran that way for two years without two many problems ( well no more problems than you would have whenever you don't run a surge tank). The trick is to moun the pump low enough in the engine bay so that is below the bottom of the tank. This way the pump will be gravity feed (until the tank is low and you go screaming around a corner).
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Mon, 22 September 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a RA28 the pump can never be gravity fed because the fuel line comes out of the top of the fuel tank.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Mon, 22 September 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not true. The pickup is at the bottom of the tank, so as long as the pump is below the level of the pickup it will be gravity fed thanks to the syphon effect.
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Mon, 22 September 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, good point, but the way everyone goes on about how sensitive EFI pumps are I thought any sucking would be bad, even that bit at the start, but I guess any external pump would have to overcome that, so it should be okay by itself in the bay?

And any ideas on the internal pump being used externally?

[Updated on: Mon, 22 September 2003 02:47]

pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Mon, 22 September 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could muck about per the above or you could just get hold of a surge tank. it will be infinitely better, and if you or your mates can make one up it should cost less than $20
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Tue, 23 September 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem with a surge tank is where to put it. I don't want it in the fuel bay for safety reasons and you aren't allowed to have fuel in the cabin so in an RA28 you are limited by where you can put it.
A nice simple external pump seems the easy way to go and is it really that hard to keep your fuel level above 1/4 of a tank?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Tue, 23 September 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People usually mount the surge tank under the car in liftback setups. Another option is to convert to an in-tank setup; I'm sure if you bought an RA65 tank or similar you could find a way to mix'n'match components.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Tue, 23 September 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can use a low pressure pump to feed the high pressure pump, but you have the be _absolutely sure_ that the low pressure pump/s provide more fuel than the high pressure one. you can check this easily...

pump fuel thru the high pressure pump with no outlet pressure, or maybe with the pressure regulator in place, and measure the output.

now take your low pressure pump/s and do the same thing. as long as the low pressure provides maybe 10% more than the high pressure, you are golden.

you can mount multiple low pressure pumps in parallel to do this, and even have one taking fuel from each side of the tank (partially negates surge).

or you could just do an intank surge pot, or have external surge tank...

Cya, Stewart

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Tue, 23 September 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and make sure the battery and switches are a long way from the fuel vapour.. not good to blow yourself up for the sake of science Wink
Cya, Stewart
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Lift pump without Surge tank for EFI Tue, 23 September 2003 04:35 Go to previous message
at $38.50 a pump I think I will just try in the engine bay for now and when it breaks I will then assess what to do with it, from the sounds of it the pump shouldn't be too upset as long as it is low down, and before the main fuel filter (because these cause too much resistance???).
Considering after all this I am only driving the car for 4 months before I go to japan for a year I will just hope it lasts long enough.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RX7 calipers onto AE86 adaptors group buy??
Next Topic:2J water temp sensor location?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 21:19:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068888664245605 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.