Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » MA70/7mgte Owners.......

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

MA70/7mgte Owners....... Mon, 22 September 2003 08:25 Go to next message
Hey,

Just a few quick questions,

1. What were the first few mods you did to your car/engine
2. What sort of power did they produce
3. What are some cheap mods to do to the car/engine?

Thanks, just trying to figure out where to spend my money when i finally buy my car lol, i know i will spend alot just to get it in good shape but apart from that is what im asking Razz

Cheers,
Scott
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Mon, 22 September 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well...theres a fair few mods you can do: Depending on your budget you can do any of them!

3" full exhaust
upgrade to 1uzfe injectors
bigger intercooler
k&n pod filter

Theres a fair few more mods you can do..im sure someone on here will know em!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Mon, 22 September 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goto pertek get a needle valve and a ball valve a few fittings about $25 later you have 11psi makes a huge difference!

i also made a 3.5 inch dump pipe
http://users.tpg.com.au/supra80/DSC00296.JPG

faster then most things on the road Very Happy

http://users.tpg.com.au/supra80/supra3.jpg

You have just been passed by another supra!

Allan
SD85Supra
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Mon, 22 September 2003 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to own a MA70 turbo. The best first mod is full exhaust, there is alot of power to be gained from a free flowing exhaust. A boost controller, pod filter, have the stock CT-26 upgraded, 550cc injectors, 1UZFE AF, bigger fuel pump and you can start getting into the 12's.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 22 September 2003 18:29

upgrade to 1uzfe injectors

Man you've gotta be better when giving advice, if you say this and the person goes and does it they're gonna blow something. Mad I know your trying to help, but please tell the full story. When you upgraded to 1uzfe injectors did you do anything else?

Don't upgrade the injectors without upgrading the computer, either by using the 1uzfe AFM or by re-tuning stock computer/aftermarket computer.

Best results are a full exhaust from turbo back, and then you can look at Allan's mod to wind up the boost, or put a bleed valve in. Just don't go too far with the boost as there is a fuel cut-off at around 12psi.

One of my first mods was to put in the 1UZ-FE. Not recomended on a budget.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much would you be looking for for the 1uzfe?????
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Cost me 8k all up. Shocked
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might add that 1UZ-FE injectors are actually smaller than 7M-GTE injectors (440cc), so this hardly counts as an "upgrade". I assume he's talking about the Lexus AFM upgrade, which has to be done in conjunction with 550cc injectors. 1UZ-FE injectors are nowhere near that big; I think they're closer to 300cc.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard 250cc Norbie.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0 102&P=1
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$8k hey? Well I dont think I will be doing that any time soon. Smile

What size exhaust should I be getting. I think I've got a 3 1/2 inch cat back now (pretty useless really). Should I look at 3in or the 3 1/2in???

Also 'scuse my ignorance, but what is Allan talking about here

Quote:

goto pertek get a needle valve and a ball valve a few fittings about $25 later you have 11psi makes a huge difference!

Cheers
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DIY bleed valve Very Happy
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah. Fair enough. I think that will come later as well. Very Happy The boost is at 10, and it's not too shabby. Once I get that exhaust and new BOV on, it should go. Very Happy
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get a 3 1/2 system from your dump to your cat you should get an increase in power. No need to re-do the full system if its already done.

10psi is plenty.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I could do that, but it is shockingly loud. That is one of the main reasons I want to change it. But I could just do the 1/2 conversion first I guess.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First mod was Bilsteins and Lovell springs, no I tell a lie, it was the headgasket and 3 days later it was the springs/dampers.

Car already had a 3" exhaust.

Rebuilt the motor, used a shitload of oil, rebuilt it again, still used oil, finally woke up from the nightmare and grew some sense and installed a 2j.
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stenno thats exactly what i would have done too, piss the 7m off n 2j here we come Very Happy

Ultimately, id like to do the 2j conversion but untill then, i want some power haha Very Happy

Im still keen on getting a GT, so it will have bigger front mount n hi flowed turbo etc. What would you guys do if you had say 3-6k to spend on the car?

ATM im thinking new aftermarket ecu, boost controller, exhaust.

What would you do if it was your car and u had that sorta money to play with?

Also, nice ride Allan, looks a treat!
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i had 3-6k to spend i would go with a massive amp to run my 6 18" subs and some new neon lights....
Wait a minute. Opps this ain't rice forums.

I would probably spend it on a bigger turbo and manifold as this would probably be the most expensive thing you would buy.
And it is always hard for me to get that kinda money together.
Else i would go with decent exhaust with dump pipe, pod filter and bigger intercooler, plus maybe an ecu if budget stretched that far.

Brett.

ps. first mod would definately be metal head gasket and head studs unless i planed and eventual engine swap.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, yes norbie is correct - the lexus 550cfm afm with those same injectors.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been there, done that.

Assuming you have the head gasket issue sorted:

**** First mod is a full 3" exhaust. Don't waste your money on a 3.5" system. Ditch that existing exhaust, as I have told you, it's a piece of shit.

Don't pay more than $1k for a full exhaust or you're just p!ssing money away.

**** Second mod is a boost controller so that you can adjust the boost. The exhaust itself will increase it a little anyway. Run about 10-11psi.

**** Third mod is a K&N filter - I cut out the front of the airbox too... that way you get as much air in as you can, but it's coming from the front of the car and not the engine bay as it would with a full pod filter Smile

If you want you can install some ducting for the air filter, suit yourself. It's not really my thing, I don't believe it's that essential.

With these mods I ran 13.71@100.8mph with an auto gearbox, and 13.71@103.7mph with the manual.

Any more than that and you'll need an upgraded fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, low impedance Series IV RX7 550cc Injectors, and a 1UZFE AFM. At this point you should really be upgrading to a big front mount cooler and new piping, as the factory stuff sucks.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks dude. Yeah the first mod is definitely going to be the exhaust.

I thought it already had the upgraded fuel pump on it??? Confused
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just remember when you get a full 3" exhuast system, that means from the turbo back. A lot of people leave the factory cast iron elbow off the turbo which is incredibly restrictive and defeats the purpose of a good exhaust system. Do it right or don't bother!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Tue, 23 September 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will do. Dont worry. Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Wed, 24 September 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 09:16

Been there, done that.

Assuming you have the head gasket issue sorted:

If you want you can install some ducting for the air filter, suit yourself. It's not really my thing, I don't believe it's that essential.

With these mods I ran 13.71@100.8mph with an auto gearbox, and 13.71@103.7mph with the manual.

Love the fact the auto pulled the same time! big difference off the line? even with the extra KW an auto does take out!

otherwise all good but save the $$ on a K&N a fresh stock filter flows as good and filters better, get some heat proof foam and just seal the air box off from the engine bay so it gets cool air from the front

depending on how DIY you wish to get invest in a $100 arc welder from bunnings and you can weld up your own 3inch exhaust and steel intercooler pipes from mandrel bends you can buy off the shelf, it will be better then anything you get a shop to make for reasonable money

the 3.5 inch dump pipe only took one nights work and cost about $150 incl the wrap, i welded it up with the mig but there would be no problem with a stick welder... im still yet to get rid of the rice can on the back and its still choked by the stock cat

My path will be a little different ill be going 1uz-fe afm, 550cc injectors, AFPR, fuel pump, Turbo A intercooler, some custom 9:1ish slugs (fully blue print and balance the sucker while its in bits, hope to keep the stock ecu happy and it looking compleately stock under bonnet otherwise MOTEC!

Who knows maybe my POS car will do better then 16 seconds and not require LPG Razz

Allan
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Wed, 24 September 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>I thought it already had the upgraded fuel pump on it???<

Yours does. It has a Walbro 500hp fuel pump fitted, you can probably hear it - it's louder than a stock one.

I was talking on general terms - if you read the whole post you'd see I mentioned other things (eg K&N filter & cutout airbox) that your car already has too Smile

Allan - I chose a K&N filter mostly from a maintenance point of view. $100 or so and it never needs replacing.. just a quick wash and a squirt of $10 fluid here and there and you're set...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Wed, 24 September 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine come with a HKS filter but you can see the dirt thay let in when you start pulling hoses off Sad
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Wed, 24 September 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If not serviced (oiled) correctly, most aftermarket filters would let a bird through them. All about servicing. People often complain about things when there's really nothing wrong with them.

I myself am not familiar with the HKS filters, but I assume they are a serviceable filter as per K&N et al? If so, did you ever service it?

A lot of HKS gear is also impractical.. it's not really for street cars driven on dirt roads and such.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Wed, 24 September 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I thought so. Smile Thanks dude. Will check those out.

Just another question if I may. Smile Is the filter on both the turbo and engine? Or just the engine?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just the one infront of the AFM big round sucker...

and i serviced it allright Very Happy about $7 down repco for a nice quite paper one! i like my supra stealthy.... well when i lose the rice cannon off the back!

Allan
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just wondering if both of them had been replaced. Smile

Yeah, I prefer stealth. Quiet but deadly. Very Happy
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfft. Stealthy is for under 3k revs. If your blatting bast someone you want to hear the roar of the intake (I'll give you a demo of mine) it is a LOT louder than my exhaust!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, so you can hear it sucking all that money into your pistons. Very Happy That must be quite loud dude. What have you got?

My exhaust is so loud that is the ONLY thing you can hear. Smile Must say though, it does sound very nice once the high revs kick in. Smile If it was the full exhaust I would definitely keep it.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My exhaust is a 3inch system with 3inch cat and 2 3inch non-straight-through mufflers. This got me JUST under the legal limit (by .3dB!).

Intake is a 3inch tube that goes down to my HKS pod filter. Theres no MAF though, so it breathes better than stock. I'd much rather a 3.25 inch intake as that is what size the throttle body and filter is, but it gets really expensive that extra 1/4 inch.

I'm trying to get some videos of it for some of the Lextreme guys, but I'll make sure I let people here know about them as well.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol. .3db? Quite impressive dude. Very Happy I'd like to see the machine. Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, I love showing it off. Gimme a PM and we'll get together.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 13:14

Sure, I love showing it off.

Danger! Danger Will Robinson!

Shocked

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets have a mkiii cruise.

The sprinklers and hairdressers have them all the time !!

I'll think of a plan and put up a cruise.

Matt

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 14:28

HKSPete wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 13:14

Sure, I love showing it off.

Danger! Danger Will Robinson!

Shocked

Oh, you wanted to see the CAR oops
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mat, yeah I'm up for one. Your right, the other cars have them, but we don't.

Might need a more refined cruise Cool . A harder course with a cup of coffe at the end rather than a slower course with maccas at the end. Twisted Evil
*don't start a flame war please, it was a joke, take it as a joke*

Maybe a putty road cruise and either a picnic lunch in the hunter or theres a few small eateries there.

Other suggestions? Should we make a new thread in the cruises section?
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah we so should do something like that. Havent actually been on a cruise yet. Bring it on. Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I come? Razz

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 16:22

Can I come? Razz

I spose,

I usually like a number 4 around the sides and leave a little length in the top ( to cover my receding hairline). Can you do ?

Razz

Matt

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mwah ha Smile I couldn't help myself.... sorry Very Happy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 16:22

Can I come? Razz

More like "Can i try and keep up" Razz

cruise south *A70 brothers ill meet you half way! Smile

... then we can all sware at the about of bugz stuck to the front and in the intercooler

Allan
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MA70/7mgte Owners....... Thu, 25 September 2003 11:27 Go to previous message
Quote:

More like "Can i try and keep up"

Bring on your 7M-GE!!! Very Happy I'll take ya!

Edit: No, not yours Allan, I know that...but they DID have those engines in MA70s yeah?

Well I am coming to Mebourne on Saturday actually, via Horsham.. so let's do this! hahaha

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 11:28]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Now this is 'fully sick' toyota.....
Next Topic:Toymods on Nowra Toyota ad ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 02:07:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007227897644043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.