Forums Junkie

August 2002
Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 02:56 Go to next message

Butterfly Doors[ 50 vote(s) ]
1.Shit Hot 27 / 54%
2.O.K. 16 / 32%
3.Tacky 5 / 10%
4.Rice, Rice, Rice, Rice 2 / 4%

<------- What is your opinion of thses doors?

A mate I used to work with did this to his old Plymoth
and i always wondered what they'd look like on an RA28
the hinge design he cane up with is very adaptable to the celica doors.

Send a private message to this user    
jezz
Regular

January 2003
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They don't look to bad on the RA28 but my Ta22 with them would look like a retarded bird
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes would definatly look BETTER on a liftback

I did say better Rolling Eyes
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure if its ricey but its a definite waste of time and money...
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TECH ARTICLE! TECH ARTICLE! Very Happy
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love them. As for what Rob said, so are a lot of other "performance mods" If you like that sort of thing and have the ability and resources I say go for it. At least then you will have a car that is truely individual (bar maybe one other Smile ) I would much rather do something like that than whack on a **insert brand name here** body kit that looks exactly the same as the next hyundai.

On the other side of the coin, there is a heap of work there and I don't thing there is enough strength on the celica pillers to support a door like that. You would need some hefty reinforcing to make it work.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would be intreting to see the engineering involved though. It would only look ok on a 28 not on a coupe.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like it.

Anthony: We're ALL individuals here at toymods. Laughing
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, liftback only. It would probably add alot more weight to the door as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a gullwing celica ala the veilside gullwing supra Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not bad but would suck in a low carpark
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would sux in any car park you be clokin grandmas in the head leaving nice vertical scratches on cars. Confused
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete, I think the term is "special" Confused Rolling Eyes Confused
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

On the other side of the coin, there is a heap of work there and I don't thing there is enough strength on the celica pillers to support a door like that. You would need some hefty reinforcing to make it work.

Not really. the standard hinges on any car door that opens outwards have the maximum lever arm that can be achived.
lifting (scissoring) the door reduces the moment in the pillar,therfore the pillar is fine as long as the pivot point in both the X and Y direction are very close to each other and to the original hinges X position. the problem then is the rotation of the door once open about the Z axis (ie wind blowing into it)
The design of the hinge is based on the standard locations of the hinges and bolt hole locations the both the door and pillar.
making it almost a bolt on modification. the only real weakness is the door itself in relation to the door pivoting about the bolt point which the door wouldn't otherwise be subject to.

The time spent designing (on paper and on CAD) reduces the trial and error stage which is where we nearly gave up!

The hinge itself weighed about 7kg (8mm thick plate!)
and the fabrcation time was about 100 hour per hinge (4 total, 3 trial and error 1 that worked)

the hardest part was comming up with a way of making the window come down when you pull on the door handle (aka convertable Merc)
so to clear the pillar from the glass.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The doors open within half the arc of a conventional door (closer to 1/3)

I think I'd set the windows to wind down when opening the door and close when closing the door this would give more head room.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put the windows down on the alarm turn off, then you can open the doors without having to wait for the windows. Then put the windows up with alarm turn on.

Or get a Targa topped supra and always have the targa off. Oooh, or have a targa top supra that the roof folds UP so when you pull the handle it releases the window from the roof by hinging up.

Would require a lot more than bolt-on work though.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another idea:

Have the targa roof fold up and the window roll down. And WELD the door closed. ... Will think more on this one.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*starts whistling the dukes of hazard theme song*
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete... you've been watching too much Dukes of hazard... whilst drinking Razz
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Havn't seen it for ages. They should bring it back Smile

... Just thinking, with welded doors, how do you get people in the back? told you I had to think more on it.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they manage it in f&f - when vince gets rescued off the truck, jumps into the aerotop at 100km/hr+, and then slips easily into the back seat.
and of course, f&f is always right

I might point out I've been in the back of a mkiv on more than one occasion, and if anyone other than a midget is in the front seat, an average height person (like myself) has his knees around his ears. that vince guy looks to be at least 6'2".
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

... Just thinking, with welded doors, how do you get people in the back? told you I had to think more on it.

OOOH... make the liftback hinge from the back and passengers
can jump in roadster style...

or

just get rid if the rear seats Rolling Eyes
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my old 924T my brother sat in the back seat, with the sunroof off his head came through the roof up to his chin. And that was sitting firmly in the seat. He's only 6ft.

I once drove from mittagong to my place (1hr) with a mate in the back. Nearly killed the poor bugger, had to have his legs crossed and his head on a slant. Confused

I loved that car to death luckily it was its death, not mine.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 14:28

OOOH... make the liftback hinge from the back and passengers
can jump in roadster style...

They wouldn't even need to jump in, you can scoop them up driving past! Shocked
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So are you saying that you use both the existing upper lower hinge locations and still manage to get it to swing up like that???

Do you have any photo's of this set up, I am intrigued as to how this might work. I can follow your logic if the hinge locations are in the original locations, I am not so sure how you would achieve it though. I think I know why your hinge was so heavy.....

If gullwing doors on a TA22/23 don't take your fancy, why not look into an electric hard-top like the new Lexus coupe has. Hmmmm wouldn't that pull the chicks. Razz
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these are some similar hinges in concept to ours,
I think from memory it was an earlier version of this hinge that we base our design on.
it does however have flaws as far as I'm concerned.

http://plaza.umin.ac.jp/~satoshi/mod01Oen.html

Simon

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2003 06:37]

swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is my dream to do this to a 90' GT4 and it will happen one day.

Just a week ago I had the chance to go and sit inside a lamborghini contach as of course i jumped at the opportunity. I must say the door are quite difficult to get around but then again, any car as flat as the contach is never going to be easy to get into.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if you're 6'4 It's not comfortable to sit in one (no leg, foot room) but that doesn't stop it being No.1 on my dream cars list.

I had the chance to sit in a dodge Viper GT, now that is a vehicle I'd be scared to put the hammer down in!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Wed, 24 September 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 09:06

And if you're 6'4 It's not comfortable to sit in one (no leg, foot room) but that doesn't stop it being No.1 on my dream cars list.

Lambo's are built for the person. You'd need to get one built for you. They actually measure you up like a tailored suit.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I'd like a 1989 Lamboghini Countach 25th anniversary Edition
built to suit my big ass feet.

The one I sat in wasn't too bad for sitting in (as the owner was Tall) but my two feet cover all three pedals and there seemed to be very little room to widen the foot well area. unless this is costom made as well from factory.
I wonder how much it would cost to get a second hand Countach re-built to suit me. Very Happy

Diablos seem to have more room there
vipers are a little short for foot space as well

Still doesn't Knock it off No. 1 Cool
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either that or put scissor doors on the 28 and try to shoe horn a V12 in....

...and maybe a turbo or 2...

...and a kenworth diff...

Evil or Very Mad
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 10:02

I'd like a 1989 Lamboghini Countach 25th anniversary Edition

You mean like this one?

Shocked Shocked http://www.vss.com.au/supra/lambosupra.html Shocked Shocked

Dave (owns the lambo) was saying the other day that he's doing a few weddings (driving the groom in) and has also done some year 12 formal's by driving the guy (stag - can only fit 1 passenger). At a price of course Cool
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They would be fun in the carpark......... Rolling Eyes
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had a look at that site you put up, very cool set up. Maybe it not too hard.

If you get keen to do one on an RA28, I am happy to help with any design/stress analysis if you need it. I enjoy doing that type of thing. A bit more interesting than whacking repair doublers on corroded aircraft anyway.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very similar.
I don't think this is a 25th anniv. altho it looks like it has the badging.
It Has the 25th Wheels
but lacks the 25th bonnet, skirt intake, and overhead intake.

(unless Aust. got a different varient like the U.S)

I've seen him toying with a tesstorossa(sp) on old windsor rd one night. I've never felt so intimidated in a car!
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

GOLD28 wrote
If you get keen to do one on an RA28, I am happy to help with any design/stress analysis if you need it. I enjoy doing that type of thing. A bit more interesting than whacking repair doublers on corroded aircraft anyway.

Cool...fine analysis might be able to reduce the weight a little.
Do you use any particlar CAD format to base you model on or do you start from scratch?
If I get the time I'll start taking some measurements on the RA28 layout and knock up some 3D drawings in ACAD.

the one thing that may make fabricating these quicker would be the ability to "laser cut" the steel as opposed to cutting 8mm plate with an oxy then going the til on the angle grinder to get a clean finish. Any ideas??

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 00:35]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have AutoCAD, but all the stress analysis would be done using "classical stress analysis" techniques, ie pencil and paper. 3D Cad would be nice for that kind of thing, even better if you have the "simply motion" plug in for it.

I have seen enough FEA programs to know that you still need to use your brain and pencil and paper to make them work.

A good band saw should be able to cut through 8mm plate given time and plenty of lubrication. Laser cutting is the go if your happy to spend the money.

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A link to the "simply motion" plug-in would be cool to check out.
makes it alot easyier than trying to rotate about 2 axis's.

I'll have to check out the cost of a hack saw type band blade for a band saw.Thanks never thourght of that. about a million little things I've been planning just took 1 big step closer to realality! Rolling Eyes

the last time I was involved in this type of thing we did the pencil and paper approch and It took ages to get somthing even remotly close to somthing that would work in a car. Surfing the net came up with a few good ideas that we then used but we still made timber models (of door and pillar and hinge) to find the weak areas before fabricating metal ones and fine tuning.

Using CAD would fine tune things alot quicker and also provide templates to transfer to steel plate.

Try this...disregard the link to the celica page and try to come up with a solution. A guarenteed way to waste several hours/days
and send you to a mental home faster...

A good engineer always uses their brain on a project
pity there is only one good engineer where I work!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the software company that does the simply motion package. I have seen it in action and it is a very trick bit of gear. I haven't used it though.

http://www.dynamicdesignermotion.com/md/simply/
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm...I've got a boner.

I'm Sad Embarassed
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you working / what are you doing?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concord Road, North Strathfield / Structural shitkicker...err Drafty
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drafty hey, I guess thats why you got all excited about the simply motion stuff Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I'm at Richmond RAAF base telling other people how to fix planes.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell them flyboys to quit making a racket over Kellyville Razz

Yes a Drafty...the lowest form of life in an engineering office
I spend most of my day telling the engineers here why a concrete beam can't go thru a stair well. Some of these guys lack logic. Mad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
diablos are definitly the go.
faster, corner better, sexier - and most importantly more room & visability!
the "thing" on the boot of the countach means they might as well have not installed the rear window
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no way.
id have a countach any day, much prettier
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The countach I sat in was a daily driver for a few years before being gutted and had the interior fitted for the targa rallys so there were recaro bucket seats with 4 point harnesses, roll bars everywhere, the dash was filled with switches, guagesa dn god knoes what else. I did happen to notice a button infront of me that said "driver eject". All windscreens were replaced with bulletproof glass and the visability out the rear window was basically nothing at all. It was a god damed weapon.

Still would prefer a diablo though.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 13:39]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Thu, 25 September 2003 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ... ok. My BS meter just blew up. Laughing

I wish somone could fit other seats in a contach, the seats that are in it have 5mm of padding. Not really built for long rides. Confused
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why does it not surprise me that a MA61 driver prefers a contach over a diablo. Rolling Eyes
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err... Did someone say Murcielago? Or even Gallardo?

Yummy....
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or Miura......DROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL. Shocked
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...Or Silhouette or Jalpa or Islero or Espada or.......

Any one will do, As long as it's a V12 Evil or Very Mad
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ravioli, Spaghetti, Fettucini. Laughing
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry did someone say sex on wheels Very Happy

http://www.europeancarweb.com/retrospective/0310ec_1972miura02_z.jpg
http://www.europeancarweb.com/retrospective/0310ec_1972miura03_z.jpg
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh yes. Sex on wheels... nice lambo!

Try making these doors for the RA28 Evil or Very Mad
Lookup the top gear koenigsegg CC video Shocked
http://www.highresautoimages.com/koenigsegg/cc4.jp g

More sex on wheels
Bugatti 16/4
http://www.highresautoimages.com/bugatti/164.html

mmm W16
746.5 kw / 1001.1 bhp @ 6000 rpm
1250 nm / 922.0 ft lbs @ 2200-5500 rpm

Sweet jeezus Shocked

[Updated on: Fri, 26 September 2003 08:48]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Fri, 26 September 2003 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak ooohhh yeah baby, Contach all the way.. Evil or Very Mad

but then i would have any Lambo pointed in my direction. Smile

yeah Lambolica, i like em!!
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Sun, 28 September 2003 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Miura looks like an RA28 on steroids
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Mon, 29 September 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Download the Koenigsegg video and check out those doors in action. As they pivot up they move out from the body...is there anything that car can't do? Very Happy
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Mon, 29 September 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes...Proudly wear a Toyota Badge Razz
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Mon, 29 September 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 29 September 2003 12:28

Download the Koenigsegg video and check out those doors in action. As they pivot up they move out from the body...is there anything that car can't do? Very Happy

yeah i saw that video from top gear today.. looks droolsome!
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Butterfly/Scissor doors Mon, 29 September 2003 09:43 Go to previous message
http://www.koenigsegg.se/index.asp
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SHOW US YOUR...
Next Topic:TrueTrac group buy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-